RE: [Altair Computer Club] Re: Unknown Z80 S-100 CPU Card

  • Kip Koon
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2013

      Martin,

      That is very good to know.  I’ll just keep them in that little S-100 case then.  It is a very strange machine.  I can’t detach the front panel off this machine either to test the power supply voltages because I have to take the case apart to get the front panel out, but I can try I guess.  I’ll still thinking on my both my Altair 8800 and my ? machine on how to go about getting them to come back to life.  Thanks for the info.

      Kip

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2013
        Very strange. No ID on the boards at all, eh? Your S-100 board may not be a true S-100, either. It looks too tall- more like the size of the Altair 680's boards (which are not S-100 either, by the way).

        Anyway, you can put your photos in the either PHOTOS or FILES folder. Just create a subfolder named something like "Kip's Unknown Z80" and put them there. Try to keep the file size low- we're running out of storage space.

        Steve
        =====================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Kip Koon" <computerdoc@...> wrote:

        > Martin,
        >
        > That is very good to know. I'll just keep them in that little S-100 case
        > then. It is a very strange machine. I can't detach the front panel off
        > this machine either to test the power supply voltages because I have to take
        > the case apart to get the front panel out, but I can try I guess. I'll
        > still thinking on my both my Altair 8800 and my ? machine on how to go about
        > getting them to come back to life. Thanks for the info.
        >
        > Kip

      • Kip Koon
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013

          Steve,

          Thank you for the invite to post my pictures.  They are in the photo album called “Kip’s Unknown Z80 Computer”.  I appreciate it.

          Kip

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013
            Looks like this computer, made by "Processing Innovations," is a "Speech Aided Modem" (SAM) used as a gateway between hand-held inventory computers and a host computer. The hand-held computers connected to this computer via acoustic-modems. This computer received the data and provided data transfer status to the remote user via synthesized speech over the phone line. This computer then stored and forwarded the inventory data to the final host computer.

            Several links, though a year before this specific model, appear in ComputerWorld magazine. Here is one of those links:

            http://books.google.com/books?id=69kEbmHHmggC&pg=PA16&dq=%22processing+innovations%22+sam+computer&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jyVsUfK9F6bY2AW3wYCoCg&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22processing%20innovations%22%20sam%20computer&f=false

            Mike

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Kip Koon" <computerdoc@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > I have an Altair 8800 with no serial number sticker and another S-100 based
            > computer both without any documentation. I have taken a picture of each
            > S-100 card for identification. Where should I put the pictures for
            > identification? I've included one picture of the one of the three CPU cards
            > in the unknown computer. The front panel is unlike any Altair 8800 front
            > panel that I have ever seen on the internet. I'm eager to see if these
            > computers can be revived. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you all
            > in advance.
            >
            > Kip

          • Kip Koon
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013

              Mike,

              Thank you very much for the link.  I appreciate it a lot.  A Speech-Aided Modem.  That is very interesting considering when it was developed.  I would love to get it working again if possible.  Maybe it could be repurposed into a general purpose computer using all three CPU cards in some way.  I would really like to get some docs on those CPU cards for sure.  I want to look at the other links you mentioned.  I will try the search parameter you used and see what comes up.  Thanks again.