Re: Has anyone used a Cromemco Dazzler as a regular video output

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2013
      Thanks,

      Actually as you recommended I was going to use my Sol-20 as a "terminal" for now but eventually I wanted my altair to be "standalone". I already have a nice serial #2 George Risk keyboard in a blue altair case waiting and I got the SSM video card libraries compiled and the "MITS basic 4.x" patch done. The dazzler was just a deal I couldn't pass up. So I grabbed it and figured I'd think of what to do later. Maybe I'll put it in the Sol and leave the altair as is. This way I can play color games like spacewar and use the same monitor as the Sol with a switch.

      Decisions,
      Decisions...

      Cheers,
      Corey

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2013
        Well, you could do what I've done with my Dazzler board... It's in a Cromemco Z-1 computer, together with their D+7A I/O and a pair of their JS-1 joysticks. This machine is completed with a Cromemco PFD disk system, with a Persci 277 drive inside. Nice and clean early all-Cromemco machine, running CDOS.

        Then I found a gorgeous 1975-ish "space age" color TV and a vintage TV modulator box for the Dazzler display.

        The conversation with the wife is not so bad... "Honey, I was thinking of getting another computer..."

        :-)