1702R ?

  • B Degnan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
      Is a 1702R ePROM a "non-A" 1702?
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/RCA/COSMAC/RCA_GMC-3901803_front.jpg
      Bill
    • Tom at Home
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013

        Hmmmm.  I think the number seen in th photo is not the part number, maybe a lot code, date code or?

        A little digital filtering suggests 4th character from the right seems to not be a 7 as in 1702?

        Looks like an F to me.

        Intel’s old package code, “R”, is a LLC package but this is clearly a DIP 24

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
          I scraped away the original label and checked again.  Very clearly both proms read

           MF1702R

          date code 7436

          See
          http://www.cpu-zone.com/1702/DSCF1888.JPG

          good excuse this weekend to make those 1702 prom programmer updates Martin sent.  I forget what is different between the 1702 and 1702a that necessitated the updates to his programmer.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013
            Those look like 1702 (plain) clones made by the Canadian company,
            Microsystems International. I believe that Intel was selling naked dies
            to Microsystems International, who packaged them and sold them under
            their own name. I bet if you peeled the label back further, you'd find
            the MI logo.

            Take a look at these chips:
            https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-XdfCubTNJJajVpcEJEQjE2dWs/edit?usp=sha\
            ring
            They are Microsystems 1702's. These are marked "2R" at the end - I bet
            the 2R version came after the R version.

            These chips program just fine with my programmer in the plain 1702 mode,
            assuming you have done the simple mods that I sent to all of my
            customers :-)

            -Martin

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013
              The difference is that the 1702 (plain) draws a LOT more current during programming than the 1702A's - the upgrade to my programmer accounts for this extra current, and guarantees that the data is still read correctly, even at high current.

              The original resistor values for the high-voltage data driver/receiver circuits were copied from an old Intel 1702 programmer - which turned out to be marginal. The new values were calculated based on worst-case specs :-)

              The plain 1702 is actually quite different than the 1702A for programming, though the two are compatible for reading.

              For programming, the 1702A erases to 00, while the 1702 erases to FF. Also, the maximum programming duty cycle for the 1702A is 20%, while it's only 2% for the plain 1702. This means it will take around 20 minutes to program a 1702!

              -Martin

              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

              > I scraped away the original label and checked again. Very clearly both proms read
              >
              > MF1702R
              >
              > date code 7436
              >
              > See
              > http://www.cpu-zone.com/1702/DSCF1888.JPG
              >
              > good excuse this weekend to make those 1702 prom programmer updates Martin sent. I forget what is different between the 1702 and 1702a that necessitated the updates to his programmer.
              >
              > Bill

            • B Degnan
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013
                Martin,
                I don't know how (yet) but after doing the mods I no longer get any voltage being sent through the rs232 driver.  I need to determine why.  All I did was put in the new resistors and the upgraded program chip.  I intend to disassemble the unit and re-check the solder joints.  They look clean but I must have missed one.  The light is Green otherwise, the checkout procedure voltages are OK.
                bd

                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote: > > I scraped away the original label and checked again. Very clearly both proms read > > MF1702R > > date code 7436 > > See > http://www.cpu-zone.com/1702/DSCF1888.JPG > > good excuse this weekend to make those 1702 prom programmer updates Martin sent. I forget what is different between the 1702 and 1702a that necessitated the updates to his programmer. > > Bill > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Tom at Home <tdurston@...> > To: altaircomputerclub <altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Fri, Apr 5, 2013 8:16 pm > Subject: RE: [Altair Computer Club] 1702R ? > > > > > > Hmmmm. I think the number seen inth photo is not the part number, maybe a lot code, date code or? > A little digital filtering suggests 4thcharacter from the right seems to not be a 7 as in 1702? > Looks like an F to me. > > > Intel’s old package code, “R”,is a LLC package but this is clearly a DIP 24 > > > > From: altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com [mailto:altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of B Degnan > Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 10:04AM > To: altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [Altair Computer Club]1702R ? > > > > > > Is a 1702R ePROM a "non-A" 1702? > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/RCA/COSMAC/RCA_GMC-3901803_front.jpg > Bill > ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altaircomputerclub/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altaircomputerclub/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: altaircomputerclub-digest@yahoogroups.com altaircomputerclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: altaircomputerclub-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4, 2013
                  It sounds like the PIC is not running. If you put the old PIC in, does it work?