YouTube video of my Altair 8800 (5th one assembled)

  • craig.solomonson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2013

       I recently did some videos on my computer collection and posted on YouTube. I thought some might like to see my Altair purchased at an electronics swap meet in Minneapolis in the early 1980's. I always figured it had a pretty large serial number until I discovered the Altair registry through this group several years ago. Turns out that I had the fifth one assembled at the factory (#220005A). It is in nice original condition and contains 4 cards that I show in the video. The URL is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGx60c85Xbg

    • MrSmith
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
        That was a great watch Craig, thanks for sharing
        It sounds like you bought your Altair but never used it?
        Did you buy it as a collectors item, even back then in the 1980s?
        Or just never got around to actually using it?

        -
        John

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
          Thanks John...I bought this Altair as a collector's item. I was part of a small group trying to start a computer museum in Minnesota back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Since I had no documentation with the computer and was a novice programmer, it just sat in a cupboard for all these years. All I have done is plug it in to see if it would at least power up. The guy that sold it to me said it was in working condition at the time.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
            Wow - that computer is in pristine condition! Good information presented in the video.

            Mike

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "craig.solomonson" <craig.solomonson@...> wrote:

            > I recently did some videos on my computer collection and posted on
            > YouTube. I thought some might like to see my Altair purchased at an
            > electronics swap meet in Minneapolis in the early 1980's. I always
            > figured it had a pretty large serial number until I discovered the
            > Altair registry through this group several years ago. Turns out that I
            > had the fifth one assembled at the factory (#220005A). It is in nice
            > original condition and contains 4 cards that I show in the video. The
            > URL is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGx60c85Xbg
            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGx60c85Xbg>

          • steve
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
              Craig-

              That's a very nice computer- I haven't seen a cleaner one or an earlier one. You gave a lot of interesting info in the video that I hadn't heard before. Even more than the Altair video, I really enjoyed hearing about your Intel Proto Computer- it's a beautiful thing. It's amazing what turns up at swap meets.

              All of your YouTube posts are very informative and well presented. Thanks for directing us to them.

              Steve