RE: [Altair Computer Club] Dead Power Supply

  • Erik S. Klein
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2003
      The 8800 and 8800a had the switches set up that way. Off IS up, on IS
      down. It's the same on the disk drives as well. VERY confusing for
      those of us used to just about every other system ever built.

      Good luck with convincing your wife about the Altair. I had a hard time
      with mine, but eventually she folded gave in. Now I have 4 Altair
      systems in the house along with dozens of other machines. . .

      Erik

      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2003
        A minor correction to Erik's statement: Although all 8800's
        had "upside-down power switches, some 8800A's had upside-down
        switches and some had them right-side-up. Likewise, some model A's
        had "bat handle" toggle switches and some had the flattened handles
        like those used on the 8800b. Same with the early and later versions
        of the DCDD single 8" floppy drives.

        Erik has quite a collection. It's worth taking a look at his web
        site at
        http://www.vintage-computer.com .

        steve
        =========================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Erik S. Klein"
        <Lifo@p...> wrote:
        > The 8800 and 8800a had the switches set up that way. Off IS up, on
        IS
        > down. It's the same on the disk drives as well. VERY confusing for
        > those of us used to just about every other system ever built.
        >

        > Good luck with convincing your wife about the Altair. I had a hard
        time
        > with mine, but eventually she folded gave in. Now I have 4 Altair
        > systems in the house along with dozens of other machines. . .
        >

        > Erik

      • stevenaleach
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2003
          Oh, I thought that was only the 8800. I was not aware that the switch was still
          "reversed" on the 8800a.