Dead Power Supply

  • stevenaleach
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2003
      Ah, sad Altair day. I just replaced the burnt capacitor on the 8800B front panel
      only to find out that my power supply is defunct. It seems that I've got output on the
      18 volt lines, but nothing else. Checked the pins on the CPU card's voltage
      regulators, the lower regulator is 12 vots, the upper is nil.

      Meanwhile, after nearly two days as the high bidder on an 8800 on eBay (just long
      enough to get my hopes up) I've been outbidded. Ah well, I just hope it will be
      restored and used, not just shoved on a shelf.
    • Erik S. Klein
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2003
        I'm sorry to hear that your PS is fried, but it should be reparable with
        some effort. Those old power supplies are nice that way. I don't have
        an 8800B schematic around, but I think you can find the information on
        the net or at www.altairmanuals.com <http://www.altairmanuals.com/> .

        As for the 8800 you saw on eBay, it's not worth crying over in my
        opinion. First off, it's an 8800a (based on the power supply) and it
        appears to be in pretty poor condition. The missing nameplate is an
        issue too, again in my opinion. There are a few neat boards in it and
        the manual is a nice-to-have, but overall I'd rate the system a 5 out of
        10, at best.

        "Its been a long time since electrons have flowed through this system"
        is eBaySpeak for "I turned it on and it obviously doesn't work, so I'm
        making it your problem.

        Good luck!

        Erik Klein

        www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>

        www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

        The Vintage Computer Forum

        Ah, sad Altair day. I just replaced the burnt capacitor on the
        8800B front panel
        only to find out that my power supply is defunct. It seems that I've
        got output on the
        18 volt lines, but nothing else. Checked the pins on the CPU card's
        voltage
        regulators, the lower regulator is 12 vots, the upper is nil.

        Meanwhile, after nearly two days as the high bidder on an 8800 on
        eBay (just long
        enough to get my hopes up) I've been outbidded. Ah well, I just hope it
        will be
        restored and used, not just shoved on a shelf.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        566162:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16ngji91p/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLm
        Rhd=1054339155%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17055661
        62:HM/A=1482387/R=1=1054339155%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egro
        upweb/S=1705566162:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=250607951>

      • stevenaleach
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2003
          Did you notice the labels on the power switch? It may be my immagination, but it
          looks like it's OFF up, ON down (at least the upper label seems to be longer than the
          lower... not really good enough resolution to tell). Ah well, hopefully I can get the B
          back in working order someday (Then comes the issue of figuring out the disk
          controllers and hoping that the hard disk survived seven years in a barn)

          One day I will find an 8800/8800a I hope, but I can't justify to my wife spending more
          for an Altair than I did for the 700Mhz G4 eMac. Somehow I don't think she would
          understand if I tried to explain the need for a front panel...

          > As for the 8800 you saw on eBay, it's not worth crying over in my
          > opinion. First off, it's an 8800a (based on the power supply) and it
          > appears to be in pretty poor condition.

          >The missing nameplate is an
          > issue too, again in my opinion. There are a few neat boards in it and
          > the manual is a nice-to-have, but overall I'd rate the system a 5 out of
          > 10, at best.
          >

          > "Its been a long time since electrons have flowed through this system"
          > is eBaySpeak for "I turned it on and it obviously doesn't work, so I'm
          > making it your problem.
        • Erik S. Klein
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2003
            The 8800 and 8800a had the switches set up that way. Off IS up, on IS
            down. It's the same on the disk drives as well. VERY confusing for
            those of us used to just about every other system ever built.

            Good luck with convincing your wife about the Altair. I had a hard time
            with mine, but eventually she folded gave in. Now I have 4 Altair
            systems in the house along with dozens of other machines. . .

            Erik

            Did you notice the labels on the power switch? It may be my
            immagination, but it
            looks like it's OFF up, ON down (at least the upper label seems to be
            longer than the
            lower... not really good enough resolution to tell). Ah well, hopefully
            I can get the B
            back in working order someday (Then comes the issue of figuring out the
            disk
            controllers and hoping that the hard disk survived seven years in a
            barn)

            One day I will find an 8800/8800a I hope, but I can't justify to my wife
            spending more
            for an Altair than I did for the 700Mhz G4 eMac. Somehow I don't think
            she would
            understand if I tried to explain the need for a front panel...

            > As for the 8800 you saw on eBay, it's not worth crying over in my
            > opinion. First off, it's an 8800a (based on the power supply) and it
            > appears to be in pretty poor condition.

            >The missing nameplate is an
            > issue too, again in my opinion. There are a few neat boards in it and
            > the manual is a nice-to-have, but overall I'd rate the system a 5 out
            of
            > 10, at best.
            >

            > "Its been a long time since electrons have flowed through this system"
            > is eBaySpeak for "I turned it on and it obviously doesn't work, so I'm
            > making it your problem.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            566162:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqs
            o=60164797&partid=3170658>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=183553482>

          • alltare
            Message 5 of 6 , May 30, 2003
              A minor correction to Erik's statement: Although all 8800's
              had "upside-down power switches, some 8800A's had upside-down
              switches and some had them right-side-up. Likewise, some model A's
              had "bat handle" toggle switches and some had the flattened handles
              like those used on the 8800b. Same with the early and later versions
              of the DCDD single 8" floppy drives.

              Erik has quite a collection. It's worth taking a look at his web
              site at
              http://www.vintage-computer.com .

              steve
              =========================

              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Erik S. Klein"
              <Lifo@p...> wrote:
              > The 8800 and 8800a had the switches set up that way. Off IS up, on
              IS
              > down. It's the same on the disk drives as well. VERY confusing for
              > those of us used to just about every other system ever built.
              >

              > Good luck with convincing your wife about the Altair. I had a hard
              time
              > with mine, but eventually she folded gave in. Now I have 4 Altair
              > systems in the house along with dozens of other machines. . .
              >

              > Erik

            • stevenaleach
              Message 6 of 6 , May 30, 2003
                Oh, I thought that was only the 8800. I was not aware that the switch was still
                "reversed" on the 8800a.