Re: [Altair Computer Club] Altair 8800B toggle switches.

  • Erik Klein
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2003
      stevenaleach <leachm003@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone found a good replacement for 8800B two position address switches? I've

      > had a bad switch ever since I've had the machine, and never had the guts to replace

      > it. Now that the machine had to be dismantled anyway, I figure I might as well make

      > this a complete restoration.

      I agree. Once you have the whole thing apart, you might as well fix everything. These machines are a pain to work on. I've had an 8800a apart for over a year and a half since I'm just too lazy to reassemble it until I know it works.

      > The last owner left the machine with me in, i believe, 1994 when he joined the Navy.

      > I've lost contact with him since then and have not been able to track him down. At

      > one point, years before I knew him, he had a warehouse full of various computers he

      > had collected (including a univac!). Eventually he lost the warehouse and had to make

      > a panicked exit saving what he could. The altair was damaged bouncing around in

      > the back of the car.

      Are you sure this guy's ever going to want the machine back? :)

      > This reminds me, does anyone have any suggestions on how to track down another

      > Altair? If I ever do find Chris again, I'm sure he will want it back. I am always looking

      > and hoping to find another no matter what kind of condition it may be in.

      Altair's don't generally turn up easily or inexpensively anymore. The best place to find them is usually eBay but you can expect to pay over $2k for a basic machine, usually in unknown condition. If you want a setup with floppies or a hard drive, double that figure if one ever turns up, even on eBay.

      Erik S. Klein

      www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

      (The Vintage Computer Forum)