Re: Altairs with 240v power supplies?

  • steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
      I just took a look at my 8800 manual. I was mistaken about ALL versions being capable of 110 or 220V operation. The 8800 and 8800a require different transformers. Or alternately, use a 220 to 110 step-down transformer between the 220V wall outlet and the Altair. The 8800b, 8800bT, 8800bSM, 8800bDM, and Attache can be run at either voltage.

      steve
      ===================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:

      > All versions of the Altair had transformers with split primaries, which could be wired for 110/220. MITS/Pertec 8" floppy drives of the FD500 series (with AC spindle motors) had an additional consideration: It was required to install the correct 50Hz or 60Hz drive pulley so that the disk would spin at the correct speed. I think the same drive belt could be used with either pulley.
      >
      > steve
      > ==============================
      >
      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mr_john_smith@" wrote:
      > >
      > > I was just curious if the Altair's were produced with a 220-240 volt power supply for the UK, Europe and Australia market?
      > >

      > > -
      > > MrSmith

    • W Tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
        I have a 3202 chassis with a factory label that says 245V 50Hz. The chassis is now setup for US voltage. This chassis faceplate is brown/tan. I don't know if this unit was sold as part of the MITS or iCOM product line. The color would match an Attache.

        Tom S

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:

        > I just took a look at my 8800 manual. I was mistaken about ALL versions being capable of 110 or 220V operation. The 8800 and 8800a require different transformers. Or alternately, use a 220 to 110 step-down transformer between the 220V wall outlet and the Altair. The 8800b, 8800bT, 8800bSM, 8800bDM, and Attache can be run at either voltage.
        >
        > steve
        > ===================
        >
        > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:
        > >
        > > All versions of the Altair had transformers with split primaries, which could be wired for 110/220. MITS/Pertec 8" floppy drives of the FD500 series (with AC spindle motors) had an additional consideration: It was required to install the correct 50Hz or 60Hz drive pulley so that the disk would spin at the correct speed. I think the same drive belt could be used with either pulley.
        > >
        > > steve
        > >
        > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mr_john_smith@" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I was just curious if the Altair's were produced with a 220-240 volt power supply for the UK, Europe and Australia market?
        > > >

        > > > -
        > > > MrSmith

      • MrSmith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013