Altairs with 240v power supplies?

  • mr_john_smith@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
      I was just curious if the Altair's were produced with a 220-240 volt power supply for the UK, Europe and Australia market?

      -
      MrSmith
    • steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
        All versions of the Altair had transformers with split primaries, which could be wired for 110/220. MITS/Pertec 8" floppy drives of the FD500 series (with AC spindle motors) had an additional consideration: It was required to install the correct 50Hz or 60Hz drive pulley so that the disk would spin at the correct speed. I think the same drive belt could be used with either pulley.

        steve
        ==============================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mr_john_smith@..." wrote:

        > I was just curious if the Altair's were produced with a 220-240 volt power supply for the UK, Europe and Australia market?
        >

        > -
        > MrSmith

      • steve
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
          I just took a look at my 8800 manual. I was mistaken about ALL versions being capable of 110 or 220V operation. The 8800 and 8800a require different transformers. Or alternately, use a 220 to 110 step-down transformer between the 220V wall outlet and the Altair. The 8800b, 8800bT, 8800bSM, 8800bDM, and Attache can be run at either voltage.

          steve
          ===================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:

          > All versions of the Altair had transformers with split primaries, which could be wired for 110/220. MITS/Pertec 8" floppy drives of the FD500 series (with AC spindle motors) had an additional consideration: It was required to install the correct 50Hz or 60Hz drive pulley so that the disk would spin at the correct speed. I think the same drive belt could be used with either pulley.
          >
          > steve
          > ==============================
          >
          > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mr_john_smith@" wrote:
          > >
          > > I was just curious if the Altair's were produced with a 220-240 volt power supply for the UK, Europe and Australia market?
          > >

          > > -
          > > MrSmith

        • W Tom
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
            I have a 3202 chassis with a factory label that says 245V 50Hz. The chassis is now setup for US voltage. This chassis faceplate is brown/tan. I don't know if this unit was sold as part of the MITS or iCOM product line. The color would match an Attache.

            Tom S

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:

            > I just took a look at my 8800 manual. I was mistaken about ALL versions being capable of 110 or 220V operation. The 8800 and 8800a require different transformers. Or alternately, use a 220 to 110 step-down transformer between the 220V wall outlet and the Altair. The 8800b, 8800bT, 8800bSM, 8800bDM, and Attache can be run at either voltage.
            >
            > steve
            > ===================
            >
            > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:
            > >
            > > All versions of the Altair had transformers with split primaries, which could be wired for 110/220. MITS/Pertec 8" floppy drives of the FD500 series (with AC spindle motors) had an additional consideration: It was required to install the correct 50Hz or 60Hz drive pulley so that the disk would spin at the correct speed. I think the same drive belt could be used with either pulley.
            > >
            > > steve
            > >
            > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mr_john_smith@" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I was just curious if the Altair's were produced with a 220-240 volt power supply for the UK, Europe and Australia market?
            > > >

            > > > -
            > > > MrSmith

          • MrSmith
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013