680 on Ebay

  • B Degnan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 11, 2013
      There's a 680 on Ebay.  Looks good, round paddles.
      Bill
    • steve
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 11, 2013
        I guess he's referring to this one, with bat-handle switches:
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/321053564606
        Too bad there are no internal photos.

        I worked with several of the people whose names are on the QC tags. The guy who wrote "OK" on the front panel sticker was a very good tech. If he said it was OK, it was (35 years ago).

        steve
        ======================================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan wrote:

        > There's a 680 on Ebay. Looks good, round paddles.
        > Bill

      • W Tom
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
          Here is the MBASIC4 Program used to capture the CBIOS.

          1 'GETBIOS - CP/M MBASIC4
          10 CLEAR 10000: WIDTH 80
          20 SA# = &HE600 'BIOS Start Address for 60K MITS CP/M
          30 CS% = &HD00 'Code Size for BIOS
          100 PRINT: PRINT "GETBIOS " + HEX$(SA#) + STR$(CS%) + " byte code save program"
          110 PRINT "Version 1.1, 16Jan13
          120 PRINT "Copyright 2010-2012, William Thomas Sanderson:
          130 PRINT "www.virtualaltair.com": PRINT
          200 LINE INPUT "Enter output file name without extension -->"; F$
          220 IF F$="" THEN GOTO 999
          250 OPEN "O", #1, F$ + ".TXT" 'Text output file
          260 'OPEN "O", #2, F$ + ".HEX" 'HEX output file
          300 FOR O%=0 TO (CS%-1)
          310 BY% = PEEK(SA#+O%) 'Get byte of memory
          320 BY$ = RIGHT$(STR$(BY%), (LEN(STR$(BY%))-1)) ' Remove leading blank
          330 BY$ = RIGHT$(("00"+BY$), 3) 'Add leading zeros
          340 BH$ = RIGHT$(("0"+HEX$(BY%)), 2) ' HEX value with leading zeros
          350 BO$ = RIGHT$(("00"+OCT$(BY%)), 3) 'Octal value with leading zero
          360 A# = SA# + O% ' Address = Start Address + Offset
          370 AO$ = RIGHT$(("00000" + OCT$(A#)),6) 'Octal Address with leading zeros
          380 AH$ = RIGHT$(("000" + HEX$(A#)), 4) 'Hex Address with leading zeros
          460 PRINT BY$, BH$, BO$, AH$, AO$
          470 PRINT #1, BY$, BH$, BO$, AH$, AO$
          480 ' PRINT #2, CHR$(BY%);
          490 NEXT O%
          900 CLOSE
          990 PRINT: PRINT "DONE"
          999 END
          Ok

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
            Thanks to W Tom for memory dumps of the BIOS of Burcom CPM 2.2!

            As suspected (since the Burcom CPM works with a real drive), the disk write logic in the Burcom CPM eliminates the large delay between "write enable" and output of write data that is present in the Altair32 and SimH implementations of the BIOS. This long delay (the entire output buffer is copied from from one location to another between the time "write enable" is issued and the first byte is written) prevents these versions of the BIOS from working on a real drive.

            My second issue with the emulator BIOS's was the fact the head was unloaded after every sector access. This would turn a real drive into a machine gun while booting or reading large files. Sure enough, in the Burcom BIOS, the head is left loaded until console input is requested. This seems like a good point to unload the head since disk i/o must be complete if software is to the point of looking for operator input.

            I'll recreate a commented source of the Burcom BIOS as I find time. This source can then be used to create new copies of CPM that are compatible with the Altair 8800 and original Altair floppy drives.

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "deramp5113" wrote:

            > Does anyone have a copy of CPM 2.2 running on an 8800 using the original Altair floppy drive (88-DCDD)? Ideally, I'd like to see the CBIOS source, but even a binary version of the whole thing is OK.
            >
            > The CBIOS written for the Altair32 and Simh emulators, though coded for an emulation of the 88-DCDD floppy, does not work with a real floppy drive (the write timing from sector detect to the start of data output is way too long). I have updated the CBIOS to work with a real drive, but I'm curious how the "original" versions were coded.
            >
            > Thanks!

          • steve
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2013
              Deramp's "machine gun" sound reminds me of a program going around at MITS that would load and unload the head of an 8" drive, at a speed that increased from a relatively slow rate (maybe ~500mS/cycle) to a much faster rate at the limit of the head load solenoid's response, and then slower again. It kind of sounded like a hot rod reving its engine. It wasn't very kind to the head or the diskette, but fun to do, nonetheless.

              I wrote another little program that would energize/de-energize a UIO board's onboard relay at different frequencies depending on what key I pressed on the keyboard. It amounted to a kind of musical buzzer that one could use to play simple tunes. The program was not much more than a bunch of for-next loops. You could do the same thing with an ACR cassette interface board set.

              steve
              ======================

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 30, 2013
                Status update:

                It appears that one of the few, if not the only, version of CPM 2.2 running on the original Altair floppy drive (88-DCDD) was "Burcon CPM." I have finished creating a fully documented source of the BIOS for the Burcon CPM by diassembling a memory dump provided by W Tom.

                With the Burcon BIOS source, I can now generate a Burcon CPM of any memory size for the Altair disk drive.

                There are a couple of minor bugs in the Burcon BIOS, so a slightly modified version of the BIOS may also be in order.

                The Burcon BIOS, which runs fine on real hardware, did not run under the Altair32 or SIMH emulators. After some digging, I found a bug in the floppy drive emulation code of both of the emulators. After fixing the bug and recompiling the emulators from source, both emulators now work with the Burcon disk image.

                The SIMH emulator still has a problem in that SIMH's boot ROM won't boot the Burcon disk. The loader on the Burcon disk is only two sectors long, but the SIMH boot ROM code doesn't properly read the 256 bytes of the loader into memory. The SIMH emulator will boot the Burcon disk just fine if I install the original Altair boot ROM or the modified Altair32 emulator's boot ROM instead. I haven't bothered digging into the SIMH boot ROM code yet to find out why.

                Finally, I've written programs to image any Altair floppy to a file on a PC via a serial port, and the inverse operation to create an Altair floppy from a disk image file saved on a PC. This program will image any Altair disk independent of what software created it.

                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "deramp5113" wrote:

                > Does anyone have a copy of CPM 2.2 running on an 8800 using the original Altair floppy drive (88-DCDD)? Ideally, I'd like to see the CBIOS source, but even a binary version of the whole thing is OK.
                >
                > The CBIOS written for the Altair32 and Simh emulators, though coded for an emulation of the 88-DCDD floppy, does not work with a real floppy drive (the write timing from sector detect to the start of data output is way too long). I have updated the CBIOS to work with a real drive, but I'm curious how the "original" versions were coded.
                >
                > Thanks!

              • B Degnan
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 30, 2013
                  Wow that's great.  Perhaps you could post the "paper tape" image to the files section?  I'd love to try it out.

                  --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "deramp5113" wrote: > > Does anyone have a copy of CPM 2.2 running on an 8800 using the original Altair floppy drive (88-DCDD)? Ideally, I'd like to see the CBIOS source, but even a binary version of the whole thing is OK. > > The CBIOS written for the Altair32 and Simh emulators, though coded for an emulation of the 88-DCDD floppy, does not work with a real floppy drive (the write timing from sector detect to the start of data output is way too long). I have updated the CBIOS to work with a real drive, but I'm curious how the "original" versions were coded. > > Thanks! > ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altaircomputerclub/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altaircomputerclub/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: altaircomputerclub-digest@yahoogroups.com altaircomputerclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: altaircomputerclub-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 31, 2013
                    I'll post an image of a drive or two soon. Sounds like altair32 and simh emulators will update soon to fix disk emulation issues. Simh may host a version of the MITS Burcon disk as well.

                  • W Tom
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 2, 2013
                      Now that we can capture Altair diskettes, I'd like to run Altair accounting software on an Altair emulator. The Altair accounting software uses BASIC with Memory set to 59000. The software puts printer drivers above BASIC.

                      Do the emulators provide a full 64K RAM after boot like an 8800bt?

                      W Tom S

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 2, 2013
                        Yes, you can configure the emulators for a full 64K of RAM and have the 256 byte disk boot "ROM" actually be RAM so it's bit of space can be used after booting.