MITS 908M Calculator Instruction Manual

  • W Tom
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2013
      I found the manual for the MITS 908M calculator and made a PDF:

      http://www.virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair.com/pdf/MITS 908M Instruction Manual.pdf

    • steve
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
        The 908m manual is also good for the earlier model 150. The only difference between the 2 calculators is the model number.

        steve
        ============================

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
          Steve, Can you identify calculator model in the 908M case that is not a
          908M. One calculator in the ebay sale is a 908M and one is not.

          Tom S.
        • W Tom
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
            I'm having trouble entering a URL. I'll try again

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "W Tom" wrote:

            > Steve, Can you identify calculator model in the 908M case that is not a
            > 908M. One calculator in the ebay sale is a 908M and one is not.
            >

            > Tom S.

          • steve
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
              Try this URL:
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540

              MITS made three 1200 series calculators whose model numbers reflected the number of displayed digits. Your "TWD" calculator appears to be a 1209, having 9 digits. The label on the back of the case is wrong.

              The 1206 had 6 digits and the 1212 had 12 digits.

              Wikipedia has an ad for the 1200s here:

              http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/MITS_Calculator_1200_Series_1973.jpg

              steve
              ============================
              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "W Tom" wrote:

              > I'm having trouble entering a URL. I'll try again
              >
              > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
              > 3984.m1558.l2649
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
              > 3984.m1558.l2649>
              >
              > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "W Tom" wrote:
              > >
              > > Steve, Can you identify calculator model in the 908M case that is not
              > > 908M. One calculator in the ebay sale is a 908M and one is not.
              > >

              > > Tom S.

            • steve
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                Oops- I was looking at the "real" 908m when I counted 9 digits. Since there's no lit closeup of the "fake" 908m, I can't be sure of the model number, so the label on the back is probably correct (1206).

                steve
                ============================

                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:

                > Try this URL:
                > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540
                >
                > MITS made three 1200 series calculators whose model numbers reflected the number of displayed digits. Your "TWD" calculator appears to be a 1209, having 9 digits. The label on the back of the case is wrong.
                >
                > The 1206 had 6 digits and the 1212 had 12 digits.
                >
                > Wikipedia has an ad for the 1200s here:
                >
                > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/MITS_Calculator_1200_Series_1973.jpg
                >
                > steve
                > ============================
                > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "W Tom" wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm having trouble entering a URL. I'll try again
                > >
                > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
                > > 3984.m1558.l2649
                > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
                > > 3984.m1558.l2649>
                > >
                > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "W Tom" wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Steve, Can you identify calculator model in the 908M case that is not
                > > > 908M. One calculator in the ebay sale is a 908M and one is not.
                > > >

                > > > Tom S.

              • W Tom
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                  Thanks Steve,

                  I'll put some batteries in and count digits. I had scanner problem and didn't get an image of the lit display. I also did not unscrew the board to make an image of the board top and chips. I saw some nice images on a calculator website that were made by you.

                  My thanks to Tom Durston (TWD) for preserving some interesting objects from early MITS history. I just found his copy of "MITS ALL PRODUCTS CATALOG" and a price list dated "1 Nov. 1974 (DOM)". MITS had an interesting pre-Altair product line.

                  http://www.virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair.com/pdf/Mits All Products Catalog.pdf

                  Tom S

                  --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:

                  > Oops- I was looking at the "real" 908m when I counted 9 digits. Since there's no lit closeup of the "fake" 908m, I can't be sure of the model number, so the label on the back is probably correct (1206).
                  >
                  > steve
                  > ============================
                  >
                  > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Try this URL:
                  > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540
                  > >
                  > > MITS made three 1200 series calculators whose model numbers reflected the number of displayed digits. Your "TWD" calculator appears to be a 1209, having 9 digits. The label on the back of the case is wrong.
                  > >
                  > > The 1206 had 6 digits and the 1212 had 12 digits.
                  > >
                  > > Wikipedia has an ad for the 1200s here:
                  > >
                  > > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/MITS_Calculator_1200_Series_1973.jpg
                  > >
                  > > steve
                  > > ============================
                  > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "W Tom" wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm having trouble entering a URL. I'll try again
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
                  > > > 3984.m1558.l2649
                  > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
                  > > > 3984.m1558.l2649>

                • W Tom
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                    OOPS, I need new glasses and don't get along well the YAHOO Rich-Text Editor. I'll try the link again.

                    "MITS ALL PRODUCTS CATALOG" and a price list dated "1 Nov. 1974 (DOM)"

                    http://www.virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair.com/pdf/Mits%20All%20Products%20Catalog.pdf

                    s%20Catalog.pdfhttp://> f

                    > Tom S
                    >
                    > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Oops- I was looking at the "real" 908m when I counted 9 digits. Since
                    > there's no lit closeup of the "fake" 908m, I can't be sure of the model
                    > number, so the label on the back is probably correct (1206).
                    > >
                    > > steve
                    > > ============================
                    > >
                    > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Try this URL:
                    > > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540
                    > > >
                    > > > MITS made three 1200 series calculators whose model numbers
                    > reflected the number of displayed digits. Your "TWD" calculator appears
                    > to be a 1209, having 9 digits. The label on the back of the case is
                    > wrong.
                    > > >
                    > > > The 1206 had 6 digits and the 1212 had 12 digits.
                    > > >
                    > > > Wikipedia has an ad for the 1200s here:
                    > > >

                    > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/MITS_Calculator_1200_\
                    > Series_1973.jpg
                    > > >
                    > > > steve
                    > > > ============================

                    > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
                    > \
                    > > >
                    > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
                    > \

                    > is not

                  • steve
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                      Tom-

                      Thanks for posting the All Products Catalog. I don't have that one.

                      Strange, the Comter 256 terminal and MS416 MITScope are listed on the Price and Delivery page (p13), but not mentioned or described elsewhere. Even stranger, wasn't the Comter released AFTER the Altair 8800 was introduced in '75? So how did it get listed at all in this '74 pub?

                      The 1440 calculator, 905m calculator, and WG1700 signal generator/counter are described, but not listed on the Price page.

                      Also, the last 7 pages are blank. Could it be that your scanner ate those last pages?

                      steve
                      ================

                      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "W Tom" wrote:

                      > OOPS, I need new glasses and don't get along well the YAHOO Rich-Text
                      > Editor. I'll try the link again.
                      >
                      > "MITS ALL PRODUCTS CATALOG" and a price list dated "1 Nov. 1974 (DOM)"
                      >
                      > http://www.virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair.com/pdf/Mits%20All%20Products\
                      > %20Catalog.pdf

                      s%20Catalog.pdf>

                      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "W Tom" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks Steve,
                      > >
                      > > I'll put some batteries in and count digits. I had scanner problem and
                      > > didn't get an image of the lit display. I also did not unscrew the
                      > board
                      > > to make an image of the board top and chips. I saw some nice images on
                      > > calculator website that were made by you.
                      > >
                      > > My thanks to Tom Durston (TWD) for preserving some interesting objects
                      > > from early MITS history. I just found his copy of "MITS ALL PRODUCTS
                      > > CATALOG" and a price list dated "1 Nov. 1974 (DOM)". MITS had an
                      > > interesting pre-Altair product line.
                      > >
                      > > http://www.virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair.com/pdf/Mits All Products
                      > > Catalog.pd
                      > >
                      > s%20Catalog.pdfhttp://> f
                      > >
                      > > Tom S
                      > >
                      > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Oops- I was looking at the "real" 908m when I counted 9 digits.
                      > Since
                      > > there's no lit closeup of the "fake" 908m, I can't be sure of the
                      > model
                      > > number, so the label on the back is probably correct (1206).
                      > > >
                      > > > steve
                      > > > ============================

                      > > reflected the number of displayed digits. Your "TWD" calculator
                      > appears
                      > > to be a 1209, having 9 digits. The label on the back of the case is
                      > > wrong.

                      > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/MITS_Calculator_1200_\
                      > \
                      > > Series_1973.jpg

                      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
                      > \
                      > > \
                      > > > >

                      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994074540?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p\
                      > \
                      > > \

                      > > is not
                      > not.

                    • W Tom
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                        The history of this equipment is before my time at Pertec, so I'm seeing things for the first time thanks to Tom Durston. The price list is a separate document saved by Tom. I put it at the end, so the price list date is only near the unknown catalog date.

                        I'm still on my pdf learning curve. I rushed the pdf to the web after my second use of MS Word to make a pdf. The scans were fed by hand and fit the default page exactly. I tried adding page breaks and created the blanks. I can remove the blanks and refresh the pdf.

                        Tom S

                      • steve
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
                          Tom,

                          Those blank pages are not a big deal. There were several other pre-Altair kits available that were also not listed in the catalog, such as the laser transmitter and receiver and all of the telemetry stuff. I suppose we should some day compile a list of every MITS product. That would be project #963 for me.

                          I don't use MS Word very often, but Open Office (the freeware version of MS Office) does a great job of .doc-to-.pdf conversion with one click.

                          steve
                          =============================

                        • W Tom
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
                            The blank pages are gone. I'm not one to blame Microsoft for my operator error or one to use toy software because it is free.

                            We've been talking about someday for years. We are too old to wait. Price lists and catalogs give a pretty good idea of what was made. My goal is an image of every board, a PDF manual, and Data Sheet if possible. That would require help of the entire group.

                            Some boards are outside my budget and only fairly rare:

                            8800 CPU board
                            88-MU1 Music Board
                            Prom Programmer Interface
                            X-80 CPU board
                            88-ADC (both red & black modules)
                            88-PMC8 with programming module

                            Other board are obscure, rare, and seldom talked about:

                            88-DMAC Direct memory Access Controller
                            88-DMAE Direct Memory I/O Channel - External Devices
                            88-DMAI Direct Memory I/O Channel - Internal Transfers
                            88-CCC Cyclops Controller Card
                            88-RMB2 ROM BASIC 2
                            Line Printer interfaces (Not Centronics or Qume)
                            Icom 3712 interface
                            Icom 3812 interface
                            Icom version of 16K Dynamic memory
                            Sherwood versions of MITS boards
                            Ugly Sherwood inverter board

                            I have a few of boards to add to virtualaltair.com

                            Attache Video Board pair.
                            Disk Controller boards 1 & 2
                            680 Expander
                            680 DA/AD
                            8800b Front Panel Interface Board
                            Final version of 2SIO and disk controllers with flat ribbon connectors.

                            My someday goal is a finding a web host for virtualaltair.com that will host the site after I'm gone and/or a site that can be on DVD or other removable media. A non-web version could have high resolution images.

                            Tom S