MITS/Icom Attache on ebay

  • alltare
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2003
      There's a pretty rare Altair on ebay right now at
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2727111132 (ebay
      item #2727111132).

      It's called an "Icom Attache", but it's really an Altair 8800bT.
      When Pertec acquired and merged MITS and Icom, for some reason they
      decided to market this model under the Icom label, but it's 100%
      MITS. As far as I know, it was never sold under MITS' name. They
      shortened the motherboard of an 8800bT, shrunk the power supply, and
      stuck the whole thing in the plastic Attache case with integral
      keyboard.

      The auction has a day to go, and it looks like it might sell for a
      reasonable price. The case looks a little crusty around the
      keyboard, but looks OK otherwise. These don't turn up very often.

      Steve
    • Erik S. Klein
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2003
        Yeah, I've got that one on my watch list. I doubt I can justify it
        right now (I just spent a bit on a couple of other machines), but if it
        stays within reason I may jump and beg forgiveness later! :-)

        Erik

        www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        566162:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&par
        tid=3170658>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=603383639>

      • Erik S. Klein
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2003
          Bummer,

          I was the number 2 bidder. Outsniped at the last second! :-)

          Unfortunately I just spent a bunch of my hobby money or I'd have had
          more to commit.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2003
            $185 seems pretty cheap for any Altair, even if it turns out to be a
            dog. If I didn't already have one, I would have bid a lot more than
            that. The winning bidder is a member of this group. Perhaps he'll
            give us a condition report on this Attache when he receives it. Are
            you listening, slab9999?

            Steve
            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Erik S. Klein"