Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re: New Vintage Computer Forum and a question

  • Erik Klein
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2003
      I've inserted my responses below. Hopefully the formatting isn't too screwy.

      alltare <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Erik,

      These questions/comments come to mind:

      How are you booting the 8800? Are you directly addressing and
      executing the boot PROM, using a turnkey board with Turmon PROM, or
      what?

      [ESK] I am directly addressing the boot prom. I'm pretty sure it's at 177000 so I turn the machine on, raise stop and reset simultaneously, raise the first 8 switches (A15-A8) and raise Examine. I then "run."

      [ESK] I've tried several variations of sense switch settings with the above (set after examine, before I run)

      What boot PROM are you using (DBL, MDBL, ...)?

      [ESK] I am using a DBL PROM. I have at least two versions of this, one of which seems to match up to the 4.1 version in the 8800BT I have.

      MITS had two 8" disk "formats"- the original and the later "NWD" (New
      Write Delay) format. There were several timing changes to the
      controller boards and therefore to the recorded data. I think you
      have a paper giving the various timing differences. You may be using
      relatively incompatible controller/diskette combinations that totally
      fail to work right in the 8800. I think all model B's were supplied
      with NWD controllers, and almost all 8800s had controllers with the
      original pre-NWD timing.

      [ESK] I have two sets of functional controllers between the 8800 and the 8800BT. Both work on the drives and disk as attached to the 8800BT, neither works on the 8800.

      How much RAM is in the 8800? Are you sure all RAM is good? You
      should probably have at least 32K of good memory (beginning at
      address 0) to load later versions of BASIC. Try readdressing your
      RAM boards or swapping with those known good ones from the 8800BT.
      On MITS' 16K boards, they had real problems with the 4-position DIP
      switches used for addressing (dirty contacts with resistance of a few
      ohms)- often the switches would be replaced with soldered jumpers as
      a cure. Try restricting max RAM to no more than 48K.

      [ESK] I've got anywhere between 32 and 56K in the machine at any time when I've been doing testing. I'm pretty sure that all of the RAM is good although I haven't tested every bit. I may swap over the 3 16MCDs from the BT to the 8800 and try that for giggles.

      Because of the noisy buss, put all RAM as physically close as
      possible to the CPU board.

      [ESK] I've got three 4-slot motherboards in the 8800. The first contains the processor, the PROM board and a 32K SRAM card, the next has the SIO-2, 16K and 8K Static cards the last has the 2 drive controllers.

      The code in those old 1702 EPROMs can become corrupted after almost
      30 years. Try using the apparently good boot PROM from the BT in the
      8800. If you're using chips that you bought from altairmanuals.com,
      they should still be good for a long time to come unless you remove
      the sticker from the erasure window.

      [ESK] I've done both. I have new PROMS from Altairmanuals.com and I've moved the 4.1 PROM from the BT to the 8800. All PROMs have worked about the same.

      Even if you do have a bad serial I/O board for your terminal, you
      should still see the disk's head stepping from track to track as it
      boots. The boot ROM doesn't check for the presence of a terminal or
      even an I/O board like modern PCs do. Since the head doesn't move
      after loading, I think the problem is not the serial board.

      [ESK] I'm inclined to agree. I'm not sure if the heads move more then one track before prompting on the 8800BT, but I can take the cover off and watch both machines try to boot to be sure.

      [ESK] I'll post progress when I make any (I may not have time to try these things for a while).

      [ESK] If y'all get any other ideas, please let me know!

      Thanks!

      Erik

      Steve
      =========================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, ErikSKlein <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I just found this group while poking away at the net. I'm glad
      > there's a community of Altair users/collectors. . .
      >
      > First off, I have a Vintage Computer Collecting forum that I
      started
      > as an extension of my website at www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum.
      > It has been accessible for about a week now and we've already got
      > over 120 posts. I'm hoping that by getting the word out we can
      > create a dynamic community.
      >
      > I encourage you to head over and take a look.
      >
      > Now, my question:
      >
      > As part of my collection I have an Altair 8800 (actually 2, but one
      > is being rebuilt) and an Altair 8800BT.
      >
      > The 8800BT came with a pair of MITS 8" drives (Pertec drive, MITS
      > controller in the drives and machine) and it works perfectly. Turn
      > the key and the machine boots to a prompt.
      >
      > The 8800 came with the same setup but never booted. I recently
      tried
      > a few things to figure out where the problem was.
      >
      > First of all, I tested the 8800 set of disk controller boards in
      the
      > working 8800bt system and I have and determined that the cards are
      > not the problem. (The drives that came with the 8800 aren't quite
      > functional, but they are close)
      >
      > I then returned my attention to the original 8800 with its
      > controller cards hooked up to the pair of known-good drives. For
      the
      > life of me I can't get this machine to function properly. I have no
      > idea why it won't boot, but it won't. It goes through the motions;
      > it enables the boot drive and loads the heads but it won't output
      > anything to the terminal.
      >
      > I suspected the serial card until I ran a test on that and was able
      > to get it to spit data out from the proper output port. I've tested
      > every other aspect of the system, within reason, and the machine
      > appears to be fine. It just won't cooperate with me about booting.
      > I'm at my wits end trying to boot this machine.
      >
      > Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can try next? I'd
      > really like to have the 8800 boot from the drives someday. . .
      >
      > Erik

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • akessel
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2003
        Here is your problem

        > [ESK] I am directly addressing the boot prom. I'm pretty sure it's
        at 177000 so I turn the machine on, raise stop and reset
        simultaneously, raise the first 8 switches (A15-A8) and raise
        Examine. I then "run."

        Raise the switches, examine, put all switches down and then run.
      • Erik S. Klein
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2003
          I've done that and I've tried other variations based on the sense switch
          settings indicated in the Altair BASIC manual - even the ones that had
          nothing to do with my configuration.

          I just tried it again now and got the same result - the Altair talks to
          the drive, the drive enables the disk and loads the heads and then stops
          with no data showing on the terminal.

          Erik

          > [ESK] I am directly addressing the boot prom. I'm pretty sure it's
          at 177000 so I turn the machine on, raise stop and reset
          simultaneously, raise the first 8 switches (A15-A8) and raise
          Examine. I then "run."

          Raise the switches, examine, put all switches down and then run.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3003379.4507215.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          566162:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1052259954
          %3eM=247865.3003379.4507215.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705566162:HM/A=148238
          7/R=1=1052259954%3eM=247865.3003379.4507215.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170556
          6162:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3003379.4507215.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=871009323>

        • alltare
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2003
            Erik,

            You're lucky to have two machines to compare, even if they aren't the
            same models. Troubleshooting is a lot tougher with just one computer.

            I think you're examining the correct starting address of the DBL boot
            ROM, but you mistyped it in your answer. The correct address to
            examine then run is 177400 or hex FF00. You said 177000, which is
            the address of the MBL cassette loader. You were correct, though,
            when you said you raised the 8 switches for A15 thru A8.

            Are you using the same good I/O cable (the ribbon cable that goes
            from the computer to the drives) with both computers? It's not
            unheard of to have bad connections in them.

            You know the CPU board, PROM board, and DBL are all probably good or
            you wouldn't be getting the head to load on the floppy. On the other
            hand, the problem you're having can indicate bad RAM.

            I would try to eliminate as many variables as possible. That is, use
            the same known good RAM boards, controllers, cables, drives, drive
            interfaces, diskettes, etc. in both machines. You can't use the BT's
            Turnkey board, serial port (you're using the one on the turnkey
            board, I assume), or CPU board, but the other boards should be OK in
            either machine.

            Have you checked the 3 system voltages on the 8800? Sometimes it was
            easy to overload the 8800's -12V supply (the raw DC should be
            about -16V on the buss and where it enters boards' -12V regulation
            circuits). The supplies on the model B were relatively bulletproof.

            Be sure none of the fragile wires going from the mother board to the
            front panel have broken loose at either end.

            PS to akessel- You should be able to leave or put the address
            switches in any position after you have examined the correct starting
            address of the boot ROM (177400). You shouldn't need to flip them
            all down before hitting the RUN switch. Andy, are you sure your
            computer really require all switches to be down before running?

            By the way, Erik's method of raising STOP and RESET together is a
            good one. Sometimes, but not always, the 8800/8800A would
            get "stuck" and you couldn't stop or reset it to 0000 with just one
            switch. The 2-switch method was the recommended action.

            steve
            ============================

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Erik Klein <Lifo@p...>

          • Erik S. Klein
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2003
              > You're lucky to have two machines to compare, even if they aren't the
              > same models. Troubleshooting is a lot tougher with just one computer.

              I'm certainly having an easier time troubleshooting now that I have a
              known-good configuration. I've had my 8800 and 8800a with their drives
              for about a year and a half but just got the BT and its drives a few
              months ago. When that machine booted up out of the box I was ecstatic
              because I knew I'd have my other machines figured out eventually.

              > I think you're examining the correct starting address of the DBL boot
              > ROM, but you mistyped it in your answer. The correct address to
              > examine then run is 177400 or hex FF00. You said 177000, which is
              > the address of the MBL cassette loader. You were correct, though,
              > when you said you raised the 8 switches for A15 thru A8.

              Yeah, I was trying to do Octal in my head to get the email out before a
              meeting. . . :-)

              If the 177400 address is for the MBL then I can have both mounted at the
              same time. I figured the MBL was set up for another address but I
              hadn't gone so far as to figure out what that was. . Thanks!

              > Are you using the same good I/O cable (the ribbon cable that goes
              > from the computer to the drives) with both computers? It's not
              > unheard of to have bad connections in them.

              I am using the same ribbon cable. I've got a bunch around, of course,
              with one for each drive. The cable within the machine from the disk
              boards to the connector in the back might be in question, but it seemed
              okay on physical examination. I may have to pull out the manual and
              meter and make sure it's pinned right and that there is connectivity
              where there should be.

              > You know the CPU board, PROM board, and DBL are all probably good or
              > you wouldn't be getting the head to load on the floppy. On the other
              > hand, the problem you're having can indicate bad RAM.

              Yeah. Swapping the 8800BT RAM in is a good idea. I'll have to do that
              soon. I should also find or write a quick RAM test program (I'm pretty
              sure there are some small ones in the older magazines like Byte or Dr.
              Dobb's. I have plugged in some reasonable code via the front panel, but
              never more then a few hundred bytes.

              > I would try to eliminate as many variables as possible. That is, use
              > the same known good RAM boards, controllers, cables, drives, drive
              > interfaces, diskettes, etc. in both machines. You can't use the BT's
              > Turnkey board, serial port (you're using the one on the turnkey
              > board, I assume), or CPU board, but the other boards should be OK in
              > either machine.

              Yep. I've done it all but the RAM including the boot PROM from the BT.

              > Have you checked the 3 system voltages on the 8800? Sometimes it was
              > easy to overload the 8800's -12V supply (the raw DC should be
              > about -16V on the buss and where it enters boards' -12V regulation
              > circuits). The supplies on the model B were relatively bulletproof.

              I've done that periodically while diagnosing other problems. I don't
              know if I've checked with the system fully loaded in the current
              configuration. When I swap in the RAM that's an easy test to perform so
              I'll do it then.

              > Be sure none of the fragile wires going from the mother board to the
              > front panel have broken loose at either end.

              I am quite certain that the internal wiring is 100%. I've tested every
              wire to the front panel, power supply, processor and motherboard and
              I've tested every pin on the buss for continuity. I'm confident that
              the problem wouldn't lie there. By the way, what type (solid or
              braided) and gauge of wire is used for those front panel lines? I need
              to rewire another Altair and I want to use something as close to
              authentic as possible.

              > PS to akessel- You should be able to leave or put the address
              > switches in any position after you have examined the correct starting
              > address of the boot ROM (177400). You shouldn't need to flip them
              > all down before hitting the RUN switch. Andy, are you sure your
              > computer really require all switches to be down before running?

              Actually, I think this depends on WHAT you're running. Disk BASIC
              requires "Sense Switches" to be set to indicate what communications
              device and parameters are to be used. These are the upper 8 address
              switches (as indicated by the silk screening on the front panel) and the
              configurations are part of the BASIC manual. I've tried all of the
              variations. The BT has a dip switch block dedicated to the sense
              switches.

              > By the way, Erik's method of raising STOP and RESET together is a
              > good one. Sometimes, but not always, the 8800/8800A would
              > get "stuck" and you couldn't stop or reset it to 0000 with just one
              > switch. The 2-switch method was the recommended action.

              I do want to thank you guys for all of your help and all of your
              insightful, knowledgeable responses. Like I said in my first email, I
              stumbled across this list by accident and I've gotten more information
              about this problem here then I have on any other forums or lists in the
              past year. This is the type of exchange I am hoping to get out of my
              web forum someday soon. . .

              Best regards,

              Erik

              www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>

            • akessel
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6, 2003
                One other suggestion if you want to test things and you have the mbl
                prom. I have binarys of the extended disk basic you can upload to
                the 8800 using the mbl instructions at:
                http://www.altairage.com/languages/Basic%20Instructions.htm

                you will need a program to do a serial binary upload, and I mention a
                few in the article - why don't you see if you can get disk basic or
                one of the other basics to load and run, then you can at least make
                sure that the problem is somewhere on the disk loading side.

                All my Altair issues have been either RAM, Cables or a board
                problem. Anyway, you need to eliminate possible issues. Good luck.

                PS what steve doesn't know, I'm not sure anyone else knows. My info
                is from writing down what worked after fussing with steve for
                months. Its been fun and a challenge.

                Andy
              • alltare
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2003
                  Erik,

                  Yes, the MBL and DBL/MDBL can be on your 2K PROM board or turnkey
                  board at the same time. Just jump to or examine one or the other
                  starting address as desired. You made another typo in your latest
                  message, so let me clarify where the EPROMs go:
                  DBL or MDBL (Disk or Mini Disk Boot Loader) goes at 177400 or hex
                  FF00.
                  MBL (Multi Boot Loader- for paper tape & cassette) goes at
                  177000/FE00.
                  TURMON (TURnkey MONitor) goes at 176400/FD00 on the turnkey board.

                  I got so used to using a turnkey board way back then that I forgot
                  about the sense switch settings, so I guess I was wrong about how to
                  set the address switches when booting. Andy has played around with
                  these things a lot, so he's the expert. He's also put a lot of hard
                  work into understanding boot ROMs and doing dumps of the OPSYS.

                  I'm still thinking that you have a memory problem of some kind. I
                  guess you might make sure that each board is properly addressed, that
                  no two boards occupy the same memory address, and that there are no
                  gaps in memory.

                  The best RAM boards by MITS were their 16MCS 16K statics. Use those
                  if you have any. There were problems with them, though. Besides the
                  4-position DIP switch having bad contacts, the memory chips would
                  often tend to vibrate out of their sockets and have bad connections.
                  Lay the boards on a flat surface and manually press each chip back
                  into place. This was only a real problem with the 16K statics. If
                  you havent ever done this, you're sure to find several chips on each
                  board that aren't fully seated.

                  I'm running out of ideas, and you've already thought of everything I
                  said anyway. I'll sure like to know what the problem is once you
                  figure it out.

                  Steve
                  ==========================

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 14, 2003
                    --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Steve wrote:

                    >Yes, the MBL and DBL/MDBL can be on your 2K PROM board or turnkey
                    >board at the same time.  Just jump to or examine one or the other
                    >starting address as desired.  You made another typo in your latest
                    >message, so let me clarify where the EPROMs go:
                    >DBL or MDBL (Disk or Mini Disk Boot Loader) goes at 177400 or hex
                    >FF00.
                    >MBL (Multi Boot Loader- for paper tape & cassette) goes at
                    >177000/FE00.
                    >TURMON (TURnkey MONitor) goes at 176400/FD00 on the turnkey board.

                    That’s good information. I’ll have to do some playing with the MBL and
                    serial uploads from my PC emulating a tape or paper tape device.

                    >I'm still thinking that you have a memory problem of some kind.  I
                    >guess you might make sure that each board is properly addressed, that
                    >no two boards occupy the same memory address, and that there are no
                    >gaps in memory.

                    As it turns out, this is exactly right. I swapped over the 16MCDs from
                    the 8800BT to the 8800 and it booted like a champ.

                    Now I have to figure out what about my 56K (1x32, 1x16, 1x8) in the 8800
                    is bad. I am pretty sure everything is addressed properly and I know
                    that I have been able to read and write bits correctly on all of the
                    boards.

                    >The best RAM boards by MITS were their 16MCS 16K statics.  Use those
                    >if you have any.  There were problems with them, though.  Besides the
                    >4-position DIP switch having bad contacts, the memory chips would
                    >often tend to vibrate out of their sockets and have bad connections.
                    >Lay the boards on a flat surface and manually press each chip back
                    >into place.  This was only a real problem with the 16K statics.  If
                    >you havent ever done this, you're sure to find several chips on each
                    >board that aren't fully seated.

                    The 16K board is a 16MCS, the 32K is from Artech and the 8K is a Seals.
                    I’ll re-check all of the settings and whatever else I think of when I
                    next get free time.

                    Thanks!

                    Erik
                    www.vintage-computer.com