OK, My Altair Arrived... Thanks Dave Larsen ;-)

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31 5:53 AM
      Looks like I have a bit of work to do...

      I have a lifted trace for switch A15. It's the middle one of the three for the switch. Have to look at the schematics and see if its lifted because it's not tied to something and just lifted from heat during install 35+ years ago or is it lifted and actually supposed to be connected to something. Are the front panel boards dual sided?

      I do have some lifted traces on the motherboard on one of the slots, it is also missing a pin on the slot, but I got a nice rev 0 and rev-1 motherboard combo off of eBay last week, so eventually I will replace the original one with the two perfect ones I got. I like the originality of the dual 4 slot motherboards vs a 3rd party large single board setup. I hope I don't need a terminator on the bus with only 8 slots.

      I also have a small chip in the blue paint that's minor. I'll have to figure out a paint code for touch up. Does anyone know a paint that is a close match? I know of a paint at home depot that is close, as I used it for my Briel Altair Micro, but on the real thing it's not close enough.

      The front panel silkscreen is perfect, but there are some scuffs and scratches in the upper left hand corner of the greyish paint. I guess I need a touchup color for that too. Then using some auto-paint tricks I can make it not very obvious unless you know it's there. Hopefully someone has figured out a testors or automobile paint code out also. I guess I could take it to an auto-body shop and ask them to spray the area and wet sand it smooth, but it's a risk asking them to work on it since they may accidentally damage the perfect silkscreen. Then again it looks like this might have happened during the build since it was a kit and I can't see how these happened with the front panel installed. In that case it may just be something to leave for historical purposes. I don't know yet. Has anyone touched up a scuffed front panel?

      I know cosmetics aren't that important to getting this system up, but until my powersupply caps arrive from Mouser, I really have nothing else to do on it.... So might as well clean it up... Baby wipes took off a lot of crud as well... The person who built the kit did a clean job mostly except for a lot of left over flux I think I will eventually clean off using windex and a toothbrush. Also none of the cards the system came with had tantalum capacitors so that's a good sign. I may just heat up the ceramic ones later to the Curie point to reset them (old trick) if there is too much noise on the bus when I start testing stuff.

      Thanks again to everyone on the board for all your advice, now to blow up my printer making copies of all the documentation and build info.

      Cheers,
      Corey...
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31 10:05 AM
        Well Front panel trace fixed. It was still connected so a little flux and some heat and I was able to push it flush to the PCB. Can't even tell once I clean off the flux. I also think I will be on a hunt for a new Front dress panel. I can live with mine, but at somepoint I'll want it perfect. Does anyone make replacements? I know for the Imsai you can get replacement front dress panels.

        Thanks,
        Corey

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Looks like I have a bit of work to do...
        >
        > I have a lifted trace for switch A15. It's the middle one of the three for the switch. Have to look at the schematics and see if its lifted because it's not tied to something and just lifted from heat during install 35+ years ago or is it lifted and actually supposed to be connected to something. Are the front panel boards dual sided?
        >
        > I do have some lifted traces on the motherboard on one of the slots, it is also missing a pin on the slot, but I got a nice rev 0 and rev-1 motherboard combo off of eBay last week, so eventually I will replace the original one with the two perfect ones I got. I like the originality of the dual 4 slot motherboards vs a 3rd party large single board setup. I hope I don't need a terminator on the bus with only 8 slots.
        >
        > I also have a small chip in the blue paint that's minor. I'll have to figure out a paint code for touch up. Does anyone know a paint that is a close match? I know of a paint at home depot that is close, as I used it for my Briel Altair Micro, but on the real thing it's not close enough.
        >
        > The front panel silkscreen is perfect, but there are some scuffs and scratches in the upper left hand corner of the greyish paint. I guess I need a touchup color for that too. Then using some auto-paint tricks I can make it not very obvious unless you know it's there. Hopefully someone has figured out a testors or automobile paint code out also. I guess I could take it to an auto-body shop and ask them to spray the area and wet sand it smooth, but it's a risk asking them to work on it since they may accidentally damage the perfect silkscreen. Then again it looks like this might have happened during the build since it was a kit and I can't see how these happened with the front panel installed. In that case it may just be something to leave for historical purposes. I don't know yet. Has anyone touched up a scuffed front panel?
        >
        > I know cosmetics aren't that important to getting this system up, but until my powersupply caps arrive from Mouser, I really have nothing else to do on it.... So might as well clean it up... Baby wipes took off a lot of crud as well... The person who built the kit did a clean job mostly except for a lot of left over flux I think I will eventually clean off using windex and a toothbrush. Also none of the cards the system came with had tantalum capacitors so that's a good sign. I may just heat up the ceramic ones later to the Curie point to reset them (old trick) if there is too much noise on the bus when I start testing stuff.
        >
        > Thanks again to everyone on the board for all your advice, now to blow up my printer making copies of all the documentation and build info.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Corey...

      • steve

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 31 10:25 AM
            Any recommendations on a good brand or a place to order it. I always used ISP to disolve the flux and a towel to absorb the residue then followed up with windex. But have no issues with spending a couple of bucks on the proper stuff.

            Thanks,
            Corey

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

            > Buy a can of spray-on flux remover instead of Windex.

            > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 <no_reply@> wrote:
            > The person who built the kit did a clean job mostly except for a lot of left over flux I think I will eventually clean off using windex and a toothbrush.
            >
            > Corey...

          • steve
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
              Do a search for 'flux remover'. You will get many hits, including this $16 can:
              http://www.newark.com/techspray/1621-10s/flux-remover-aerosol-397ml/dp/10J6814

              steve
              ===========================

              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Any recommendations on a good brand or a place to order it. I always used ISP to disolve the flux and a towel to absorb the residue then followed up with windex. But have no issues with spending a couple of bucks on the proper stuff.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Corey
              >
              > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <alltare@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Buy a can of spray-on flux remover instead of Windex.

              > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 <no_reply@> wrote:
              > > The person who built the kit did a clean job mostly except for a lot of left over flux I think I will eventually clean off using windex and a toothbrush.
              > >
              > > Corey...

            • Systems Glitch
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2012
                > Do a search for 'flux remover'. You will get many hits, including this $16 can:
                > http://www.newark.com/techspray/1621-10s/flux-remover-aerosol-397ml/dp/10J6814

                I can vouch for the quality of TechSpray's products. Their solder wick is also very good.

                Thanks,
                Jonathan