Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re: Messages not appearing on this site

  • B Degnan
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 17, 2012
      > Well done Steve. So it may take a day or two for our messages to get
      > through. You work a lot faster than our old Altairs!

      Another thing ... people act like everything is free on the Internet.

      I would never demand as a new member to anything that their policies would be changed just for me, having no idea about the history of the group, the volume of messages, etc.

      Bill

    • D. Hugh Redelmeier
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 17, 2012
        I wish to thank Steve the Moderator for all the effort he is putting in to
        this group.

        He has successfully shielded us from SPAM, something I value a lot.

        Steve: do you moderate all messages or just the first one from each
        member?

        [OT]
        Once in a while I get added without asking to newly created Yahoo Groups
        dedicated to SPAMming. For example, just now I've been added to group
        skqxv. So have 408 other victims. Almost the only time I visit Yahoo is
        to get out of these groups. I wish I got an invitation to join rather
        that having to actively unsubscribe.
        [/OT]

        | From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>

        | I would never demand as a new member to anything that their policies
        | would be changed just for me, having no idea about the history of the
        | group, the volume of messages, etc.

        This is a tricky point.

        A new member brings fresh eyes. They may well notice things that the old
        timers are accustommed to. Their analysis might be wrong due to
        inexperience, but their observations are gold. Of course a newcomer needs
        to be very diplomatic due to their lack of "social capital".
      • steve
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 17, 2012
          I only moderate the first message that is posted by each member. After that, I unmoderate all their messages. So you only have to put up with posting delays one time. Of course, sometimes Yahoo gets bogged down and messages may be delayed for that reason, but it's one of those things that I can't control.

          Steve
          Moderator
          ========================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh@...> wrote:

          > Steve: do you moderate all messages or just the first one from each
          > member?
        • steve
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 17, 2012
            Thanks for everyone's comments about message moderation.

            There is another way that I could stop most spammers, other than moderating messages. I could change the settings of this group so that membership requires approval, and prospective members would have to say why they want to join and perhaps require some indication of their knowledge of Altairs. Then they would be granted unmoderated access. But that would still delay the posting of their first message, would be cumbersome, would waste even more time, and would probably be less effective that the current method.

            I think, tkaragiris, that you are indeed fortunate that your own group has received few spams, especially considering that it is about eight times larger than this one. In this group, although the existing members are all good citizens, unfortunately all outsiders are not. It has already been proven (from the pre-moderation days) that we will get spammed if unfiltered access is allowed.

            FYI, of the members currently enrolled, only a minority have posted one or more messages since moderation was implemented:

            Total members = 384
            Members who have posted = ~44%
            Members who have never posted = ~66%
            Members who have suspicious names (just my opinion) and haven't yet posted = 7
            Non-members who tried to post anyway (presumed to be spam) = hundreds and hundreds!

            Steve
            Moderator
            ======================

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "tkaragiris" <tkaragiris@...> wrote:

            > I almost gave up on this site initially for this reason. Why not just remove the moderation requirement for new members, it's not needed on a site like this.
            >
            > I am surprised there are not more active members on this site, and this issue is probably the cause of it.
            >

            > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <alltare@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It appears that there's a glitch in Yahoo's notification system. I'm not being notified when new/moderated members submit a message. As a result, their messages aren't getting approved by me so they never appear to the other members.
            > >
            > > I have checked my settings, and everything is correct, but 5 recent pending messages have gone unapproved for many days. I'm trying to figure this out, but if it's a problem on Yahoo's end, there's not much I can do about it.
            > >
            > > My apologies to those who have seen their messages delayed. All new members are automatically moderated, but it's my policy to change their status to 'unmoderated' after their first post, so those 5 people shouldn't have problems like this again. If you're having similar problems as a first-time poster, please contact me off group at alltare ~at~ yahoo ~dot~ com.
            > >
            > > Steve
            > > Moderator

          • steve
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 17, 2012
              Well, after adding 66% and 44%, I didn't get 100% as a result. Please change the numbers in my previous post as follows:

              Members who have posted = ~34%
              Members who have never posted = ~66%

              Sorry about that.

              Steve
              Moderator
              ====================

              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

              > FYI, of the members currently enrolled, only a minority have posted one or more messages since moderation was implemented:
              >
              > Total members = 384
              > Members who have posted = ~44%
              > Members who have never posted = ~66%
              > Members who have suspicious names (just my opinion) and haven't yet posted = 7
              > Non-members who tried to post anyway (presumed to be spam) = hundreds and hundreds!
              >
              > Steve
              > Moderator
              > ======================
              >
              > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "tkaragiris" <tkaragiris@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I almost gave up on this site initially for this reason. Why not just remove the moderation requirement for new members, it's not needed on a site like this.
              > >
              > > I am surprised there are not more active members on this site, and this issue is probably the cause of it.
              > >

              > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <alltare@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > It appears that there's a glitch in Yahoo's notification system. I'm not being notified when new/moderated members submit a message. As a result, their messages aren't getting approved by me so they never appear to the other members.
              > > >
              > > > I have checked my settings, and everything is correct, but 5 recent pending messages have gone unapproved for many days. I'm trying to figure this out, but if it's a problem on Yahoo's end, there's not much I can do about it.
              > > >
              > > > My apologies to those who have seen their messages delayed. All new members are automatically moderated, but it's my policy to change their status to 'unmoderated' after their first post, so those 5 people shouldn't have problems like this again. If you're having similar problems as a first-time poster, please contact me off group at alltare ~at~ yahoo ~dot~ com.
              > > >
              > > > Steve
              > > > Moderator

            • MrSmith
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 17, 2012
                Quite humorous that there has been more chatter in the last few days about messages, than probably in six months about Altairs!

                At the end of the day with such a small group, small amount of members and genuine posts being made, even a 24-48 hour delay isn't going to hurt someone with having posts made as they start off in the group.

                -
                MrSmith

                Well, after adding 66% and 44%, I didn't get 100% as a result. Please change the numbers in my previous post as follows:

                Members who have posted = ~34%
                Members who have never posted = ~66%

                Sorry about that.

                Steve
                Moderator
                ====================

                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

                > FYI, of the members currently enrolled, only a minority have posted one or more messages since moderation was implemented:
                >
                > Total members = 384
                > Members who have posted = ~44%
                > Members who have never posted = ~66%
                > Members who have suspicious names (just my opinion) and haven't yet posted = 7
                > Non-members who tried to post anyway (presumed to be spam) = hundreds and hundreds!
                >
                > Steve
                > Moderator
                > ======================
                >
                > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "tkaragiris" <tkaragiris@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I almost gave up on this site initially for this reason. Why not just remove the moderation requirement for new members, it's not needed on a site like this.
                > >
                > > I am surprised there are not more active members on this site, and this issue is probably the cause of it.
                > >

                > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <alltare@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > It appears that there's a glitch in Yahoo's notification system. I'm not being notified when new/moderated members submit a message. As a result, their messages aren't getting approved by me so they never appear to the other members.
                > > >
                > > > I have checked my settings, and everything is correct, but 5 recent pending messages have gone unapproved for many days. I'm trying to figure this out, but if it's a problem on Yahoo's end, there's not much I can do about it.
                > > >
                > > > My apologies to those who have seen their messages delayed. All new members are automatically moderated, but it's my policy to change their status to 'unmoderated' after their first post, so those 5 people shouldn't have problems like this again. If you're having similar problems as a first-time poster, please contact me off group at alltare ~at~ yahoo ~dot~ com.
                > > >
                > > > Steve
                > > > Moderator

              • toml_12953
                Message 7 of 17 , May 6, 2012
                  --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

                  > Well, after adding 66% and 44%, I didn't get 100% as a result.

                  Are you using Altair 4K BASIC to compute your results? ;^)

                  Tom Lake, The Least Interesting Man in the World

                  "I don't often post messages but when I do, I drink Dos Equis"