New full-function 1702A EPROM Programmer

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 16, 2012
      Looking to program some 1702A EPROMs? Frustrated that all of the so-called 'universal' programmers can't program a 1702A?

      So was I...

      I have just completed designing, building, and testing a full-featured programmer for 1702A EPROMs, which I'm calling the ME1702A. You can see photos of the programmer in the 'photos' section of this site, in an album called "ME1702A EPROM Programmer."

      I am now running VTL-2 from 1702A EPROMs in my Altair 680. Sweet.

      This programmer connects to your computer via RS232 at 9600 baud. It allows you to blank-check, read, edit, copy, and program 1702A EPROMs. You can transfer files to and from the ME1702A in either Intel Hex format or Motorola S-record format. Take a look at the photo of the help screen to see the available commands. (Sorry about the fuzzy photo.)

      I have also written an extensive and thorough (65-page) illustrated manual for the programmer that includes assembly instructions, debug and bring-up instructions, operating instructions, theory of operation with timing diagrams, schematics, a complete bill of materials that includes Digikey or Allied Electronics part numbers and prices for every single component used, and templates for drilling the chassis holes. I've even included a copy of the 1702A spec.

      I had a small run of the printed circuit boards fabricated. I am keeping one, and have already sold two more. I have a few more that I am offering for sale at cost. What I will sell you is:

      $38.50 The printed circuit board
      $ 3.00 The PIC microcontroller, programmed with firmware
      $ 6.00 The manual, spiral bound
      $ 7.50 (estimate) shipping to you

      $55.00 Total cost

      The total cost for all of the components you need to buy from Digikey and Allied Electronics (as of a month ago, when I bought my components) comes to $117.02 plus shipping.

      So your total cost will be about $180, and you'll spend a few hours with your soldering iron. When you are done, you can read old 1702A EPROMs and save their contents as hex files on your computer. You can program 1702As with files you've downloaded from this site and others, or with your own code, directly from the output of your assembler.

      If you are interested in buying one, please let me know. Quantities are limited :-)

      Martin
    • steve
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 17, 2012
        Martin-

        Great work! And the price is certainly right. The only alternative is 40 year old programmers that probably need new capacitors and other parts, or a MITS programmer that costs a bunch if you can find one (which, fortunately, I happen to have, else I would jump to buy your product).

        I have used your photo of the finished product as our group's headline picture. I'll leave it there for awhile.

        Steve
        =============================

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 17, 2012
          By the way - anyone interested in building one on the cheap can eliminate the cabinet, the (expensive!) ZIF socket and a few other parts and knock $45.10 off the parts cost:

          Eliminate the following...

          $16.40 Cabinet (Build your own box)
          $6.74 Multifunction Inlet (Just wire it up with a switch)
          $3.18 IEC line cord (Just use an old line cord)
          $0.60 rubber feet
          $0.88 screws and nuts
          $0.60 LED spacers
          $2.07 TO-247 heat sink (It does not get hot enough)
          $0.40 TO-220 heat sink (one can be eliminated)
          $0.23 Ground test pin (use a resistor lead)
          $13.82 ZIF socket (use a regular socket)
          $0.18 16-pin DIP socket (solder the MAX232 down.)

          $45.10 Total savings, for a total cost of about $135, including shipping...

          Martin

        • eberhard@allenroad.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 23, 2012
            Well that batch sure went fast!

            I had 10 ME1702A printed circuit boards fabricated. I'm keeping one for myself. I've now sold eight more, leaving just one.

            If anyone is interested in the last one, let me know soon. I will put it up on eBay next week if nobody here buys it.

            Also, shipping has turned out to be a little more than expected - I am now asking $58, including shipping - offer expires Sunday night, 26 Feb 2012.

            If I get an overwhelming response, I may decide to have another batch of boards fabricated. Let me know...

            One more thing - I finally got my hands on the programming requirements for the plain 1702 (not the 1702A). Once I can find an actual 1702 chip, I will produce a firmware revision that also supports these chips. It looks like my hardware is already up to the job.
          • Jack Rubin
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 23, 2012
              As one of the lucky new owners, I can only say that Martin did a beautiful job of putting all this together. Of course, I haven't built out the board yet, but if quality and presentation predict success, odds are it will be a winner!

              Jack

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 23, 2012
                On 2/23/2012 4:13 PM, eberhard@... wrote:
                > Well that batch sure went fast!
                >
                > I had 10 ME1702A printed circuit boards fabricated. I'm keeping one for myself. I've now sold eight more, leaving just one.
                >
                > If anyone is interested in the last one, let me know soon. I will put it up on eBay next week if nobody here buys it.
                >
                > Also, shipping has turned out to be a little more than expected - I am now asking $58, including shipping - offer expires Sunday night, 26 Feb 2012.
                >
                > If I get an overwhelming response, I may decide to have another batch of boards fabricated. Let me know...
                >
                > One more thing - I finally got my hands on the programming requirements for the plain 1702 (not the 1702A). Once I can find an actual 1702 chip, I will produce a firmware revision that also supports these chips. It looks like my hardware is already up to the job.

                If it's still available I'll take it.

                Steve
              • eberhard@allenroad.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 23, 2012
                  > If it's still available I'll take it.
                  >
                  > Steve

                  Sorry, Steve - they are all sold. You missed the last one by a few minutes.

                  I am willing to order another batch of boards if there is enough interest. The price for boards is pretty much constant no matter how many you order...

                  15 boards cost $393 ($26.20 ea)
                  10 boards cost $360 ($36.00 ea)
                  5 boards cost $325 ($65.00 ea)
                  2 boards cost $305 ($152 ea)

                  If enough people want to buy an ME1702A kit at a price that works, I will do it - let me know if you are interested, and what is your top PCB price.

                  (Note that I sell these kits at cost - this whole operation is definitely not a money making operation for me.)

                  Let me know...
                • arvadacollector
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 24, 2012
                    I completely agree with Jack. Martin has done an outstanding job.

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2012
                      Just to get the message subject right...

                      I am fabricating a second (and probably last) batch of 1702A EPROM programmer kits. See my original post below for details. See my pictures in the "photos" section, and of course, see Cameron's kind review of his experience building one of my kits.

                      I have three kits still not spoken for. If you are interested in buying one, let me know.

                      My shipping costs have been a tad higher than expected- the total price for the board, the programmed micro controller, and the manual is $60.

                      Martin

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 27, 2012
                        Many thanks - all of the rev C ME1702/A kits have been sold and shipped. There are now 20 of these programmers in the world, 2 of which I own (a rev B and a rev C).

                        Just think of all that new code being programmed into 1702A EPROMS :-)

                        Martin
                      • B Degnan
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 27, 2012
                          Mine is almost done!
                          bd

                          Many thanks - all of the rev C ME1702/A kits have been sold and shipped. There
                          are now 20 of these programmers in the world, 2 of which I own (a rev B and a
                          rev C).

                          Just think of all that new code being programmed into 1702A EPROMS :-)

                          Martin

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              altaircomputerclub-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              altaircomputerclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • corey986
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 1, 2012
                            A couple of questions before I completely commit. Can it only program 1702A? Can I also do smaller proms like MMI 6301J? The total cost should be about 180 when I'm done buying parts, correct?

                            Thanks,
                            Corey

                            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mfeberhard" <eberhard@...> wrote:

                            > Looking to program some 1702A EPROMs? Frustrated that all of the so-called 'universal' programmers can't program a 1702A?
                            >
                            > So was I...
                            >
                            > I have just completed designing, building, and testing a full-featured programmer for 1702A EPROMs, which I'm calling the ME1702A. You can see photos of the programmer in the 'photos' section of this site, in an album called "ME1702A EPROM Programmer."
                            >
                            > I am now running VTL-2 from 1702A EPROMs in my Altair 680. Sweet.
                            >
                            > This programmer connects to your computer via RS232 at 9600 baud. It allows you to blank-check, read, edit, copy, and program 1702A EPROMs. You can transfer files to and from the ME1702A in either Intel Hex format or Motorola S-record format. Take a look at the photo of the help screen to see the available commands. (Sorry about the fuzzy photo.)

                            > I have also written an extensive and thorough (65-page) illustrated manual for the programmer that includes assembly instructions, debug and bring-up instructions, operating instructions, theory of operation with timing diagrams, schematics, a complete bill of materials that includes Digikey or Allied Electronics part numbers and prices for every single component used, and templates for drilling the chassis holes. I've even included a copy of the 1702A spec.
                            >
                            > I had a small run of the printed circuit boards fabricated. I am keeping one, and have already sold two more. I have a few more that I am offering for sale at cost. What I will sell you is:
                            >
                            > $38.50 The printed circuit board
                            > $ 3.00 The PIC microcontroller, programmed with firmware
                            > $ 6.00 The manual, spiral bound
                            > $ 7.50 (estimate) shipping to you
                            >
                            > $55.00 Total cost
                            >
                            > The total cost for all of the components you need to buy from Digikey and Allied Electronics (as of a month ago, when I bought my components) comes to $117.02 plus shipping.
                            >
                            > So your total cost will be about $180, and you'll spend a few hours with your soldering iron. When you are done, you can read old 1702A EPROMs and save their contents as hex files on your computer. You can program 1702As with files you've downloaded from this site and others, or with your own code, directly from the output of your assembler.
                            >
                            > If you are interested in buying one, please let me know. Quantities are limited :-)
                            >
                            > Martin

                          • corey986
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 1, 2012
                              Well thank-you to Cameron Cooper...

                              He send me an answer to this... So even though I can't do 6301J, it still may be the only option I will have for 1702 eproms. So I have no choice ;)

                              Cheers,
                              Corey

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 1, 2012
                                Hi Corey,

                                just to put the answer in public...

                                The ME1702/A will program both the 1702A and the (rather scarce) 1702 (plain version), and nothing else.

                                And to get a bit more verbose...

                                The original ME1702A firmware only programmed the 1702A, largely because I couldn't find specs for the 1702 and I couldn't find any 1702 chips to validate the design. However, one of my Australian customers helped me out with the spec and with actual chips, and 1702 support was rolled into the next firmware release.

                                The pinout for the 1702A is very different than the subsequent 27XX EPROMs, and the programming voltages are way different - requiring, for example, 48 volts on the data and address pins during programming. This is because the 1702 is PMOS, while almost all subsequent EPROMs are NMOS.

                                For this reason, the ME1702/A hardware is fairly specialized, with hardware to provide the unique voltages to the unique pinout.

                                Building a "universal" programmer would have been possible (hey, I can design anything :-) ), but it would have been a lot more expensive and complicated. I would either have needed some sort of high-voltage crossbar for every pin, or I would have needed a 24-pin "personality module" that assigned functions to pins. And then I would have needed a pretty sophisticated programmable power supply with programmable current limits, in order to meet the breadth of EPROM requirements.

                                Supporting fused-link PROMs like the 6301J would add another layer of complexity - programming a fused-link PROM is quite different than programming an EPROM. (If I find myself restoring some vintage machine with fused link PROMs, and I can't find a programmer, maybe I'll design a programmer for these PROMS...)

                                It's pretty easy to find programmers for all of the 27XX, 27XXX, and 27XXXX EPROMs out there. For Altair enthusiasts, you can still get a Cromemco Bytesaver (which will do 2708s) for a reasonable price, if you are patient. I've seen several S-100 based 2716 programmers go for cheap on eBay over the years. But (aside from the super-scarce and huge Altair EPROM programmer) I have never seen an S-100-based 1702A programmer.

                                I chose to support the 1702A because it was used extensively in MITS products, from boot ROMS to programming languages (like VTL) in Altair 8800/a/b's and Altair 680s. The 1702A was even used in the front panel of the 8800b, to jam instructions into the 8080 CPU and to program the front panel's state machine. Anyone who is serious about restoring an Altair of any stripe really need the ability read, duplicate, edit, and write 1702A EPROMs.

                                And with that note... I already have 7 customers for this new run of programmer kits. I'm thinking of fabricating 10 boards this time, and I plan to keep one of this revision for myself. If anyone wants one of the last 2 programmers, let me know soon...

                                Martin

                                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                > A couple of questions before I completely commit. Can it only program 1702A? Can I also do smaller proms like MMI 6301J? The total cost should be about 180 when I'm done buying parts, correct?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Corey
                                >
                                > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mfeberhard" <eberhard@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Looking to program some 1702A EPROMs? Frustrated that all of the so-called 'universal' programmers can't program a 1702A?
                                > >
                                > > So was I...
                                > >
                                > > I have just completed designing, building, and testing a full-featured programmer for 1702A EPROMs, which I'm calling the ME1702A. You can see photos of the programmer in the 'photos' section of this site, in an album called "ME1702A EPROM Programmer."
                                > >
                                > > I am now running VTL-2 from 1702A EPROMs in my Altair 680. Sweet.
                                > >
                                > > This programmer connects to your computer via RS232 at 9600 baud. It allows you to blank-check, read, edit, copy, and program 1702A EPROMs. You can transfer files to and from the ME1702A in either Intel Hex format or Motorola S-record format. Take a look at the photo of the help screen to see the available commands. (Sorry about the fuzzy photo.)

                                > > I have also written an extensive and thorough (65-page) illustrated manual for the programmer that includes assembly instructions, debug and bring-up instructions, operating instructions, theory of operation with timing diagrams, schematics, a complete bill of materials that includes Digikey or Allied Electronics part numbers and prices for every single component used, and templates for drilling the chassis holes. I've even included a copy of the 1702A spec.
                                > >
                                > > I had a small run of the printed circuit boards fabricated. I am keeping one, and have already sold two more. I have a few more that I am offering for sale at cost. What I will sell you is:
                                > >
                                > > $38.50 The printed circuit board
                                > > $ 3.00 The PIC microcontroller, programmed with firmware
                                > > $ 6.00 The manual, spiral bound
                                > > $ 7.50 (estimate) shipping to you
                                > >
                                > > $55.00 Total cost
                                > >
                                > > The total cost for all of the components you need to buy from Digikey and Allied Electronics (as of a month ago, when I bought my components) comes to $117.02 plus shipping.
                                > >
                                > > So your total cost will be about $180, and you'll spend a few hours with your soldering iron. When you are done, you can read old 1702A EPROMs and save their contents as hex files on your computer. You can program 1702As with files you've downloaded from this site and others, or with your own code, directly from the output of your assembler.
                                > >
                                > > If you are interested in buying one, please let me know. Quantities are limited :-)
                                > >
                                > > Martin

                              • qasimasg
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 3, 2013
                                  [edited by moderator]
                                  Yes Martin, I am interested in buying of MM1702AQ Programmer with complete programming accessories, so it is requested to kindly send complete quotation for MM1702AQ EPROM Programmer on qasimasg at yahoo.com or qasimasg at gmail.com
                                  waiting for your quick reply ...

                                  ====================================

                                  --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > >
                                  > > > $38.50 The printed circuit board
                                  > > > $ 3.00 The PIC microcontroller, programmed with firmware
                                  > > > $ 6.00 The manual, spiral bound
                                  > > > $ 7.50 (estimate) shipping to you
                                  > > >
                                  > > > $55.00 Total cost
                                  > > >
                                  > > > The total cost for all of the components you need to buy from Digikey and Allied Electronics (as of a month ago, when I bought my components) comes to $117.02 plus shipping.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > So your total cost will be about $180, and you'll spend a few hours with your soldering iron. When you are done, you can read old 1702A EPROMs and save their contents as hex files on your computer. You can program 1702As with files you've downloaded from this site and others, or with your own code, directly from the output of your assembler.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > If you are interested in buying one, please let me know. Quantities are limited :-)

                                • qasimasg
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 6, 2013
                                    Can you share the Schematic of your 1702a Programmer?
                                    if possible then send it to qasimasg@...

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 6, 2013
                                      I just uploaded the schematics and Bill of Materials for both the ME1702/A and the ME4204 EPROM programmers. Look in Files>ME EPROM Programmers.

                                      If anyone is interested in the firmware, I can post that as well - you will need to have Microchip's MPLAB software to assemble my code, and you will need their PICKit III to program a PIC with the resulting code. Let me know if anyone is interest.

                                      The manual is a little large for Yahoo - it's around 19 MB, and Yahoo seems to have a bizarre 100 MB total file limit. (Putting that in perspective, I have a 64GB thumb drive on my keychain, which cost me maybe $25. This cheap little thumb drive would be enough for 640 Yahoo groups...)

                                      -Martin E

                                      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, qasimasg <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                      > Can you share the Schematic of your 1702a Programmer?
                                      > if possible then send it to qasimasg@...
                                      >
                                      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, qasimasg <no_reply@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > [edited by moderator]
                                      > > Yes Martin, I am interested in buying of MM1702AQ Programmer with complete programming accessories, so it is requested to kindly send complete quotation for MM1702AQ EPROM Programmer on qasimasg at yahoo.com or qasimasg at gmail.com
                                      > > waiting for your quick reply ...
                                      > >
                                      > > ====================================
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Well thank-you to Cameron Cooper...
                                      > > >
                                      > > > He send me an answer to this... So even though I can't do 6301J, it still may be the only option I will have for 1702 eproms. So I have no choice ;)
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Cheers,
                                      > > > Corey

                                    • qasimasg
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 8, 2013
                                        thanks for your prompt reply.
                                        If possible then kindly share Firmware, programming software and manual for 1702A programmer.
                                        waiting for your favorable reply ...

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 9, 2013
                                          There come a point where you might just buy one of my kits... Are you planning to clone my programmer? If so, I expect that your costs will be higher than buying the kit from me, as I have been selling my kits at my cost (without profit), and I have been able to get a lower PC board cost by buying several at a time. Also, PC board layout matters in this design, because of the relatively high voltages and currents required to program the 1702.

                                          As I said in my last post, the manual pdf file is far too large to post here at Yahoo. You can find a copy of the manual here, on my Google Drive:

                                          https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-XdfCubTNJJSzQtRnJzc19raDA/edit?usp=sharing

                                          The programming software is not my property to distribute. I used MPLAB from Microchip to program the PIC microcontroller. You can find MPLAB on Microchip's website.

                                          I am not willing to publish my PIC firmware openly at this time, mainly because I don't want to get into discussions about how it works (it is a little complex), or other people's ideas about what is the "correct" programming style (it is written in PIC assembly language, and it uses software timing loops for critical timing). I have distributed my firmware source code to customers of the ME1702A already.

                                          Note, by the way, that I am out of PC boards for the ME1702/A right now, and do not plan to have any more fabricated unless I get requests for at least another 6 kits. I may have one more kit available soon, as it was lost in the mail, and has apparently resurfaced in Germany...

                                          Martin E

                                          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, qasimasg <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                          > thanks for your prompt reply.
                                          > If possible then kindly share Firmware, programming software and manual for 1702A programmer.
                                          > waiting for your favorable reply ...
                                        • frank99473
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 9, 2013
                                            >I may have one more kit available soon, as it was lost in the mail, and has apparently resurfaced in Germany...

                                            Hello from Germany,
                                            i am the one, that build the very last kit up to working.
                                            The kit is worth the money, it works perfect.
                                            Martin, i hope that the last kit is arrive back soon.

                                            Frank
                                          • qasimasg
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 11, 2013
                                              Thanks for your prompt reply.
                                              If it is not possible to openly share firmware then is this possible that you email me the firmware to get an idea that how code works (qasimasg@...) or (qasimasg@...), which would really helpful in writing my own code (using PIC16F877) as well as i am also working to make GUI (Graphical User Interface) in Visual Basic so that user can use it more easily.

                                              Looking forward for your favorable reply ...

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 11, 2013
                                                You should ask some of the ME1702/A users here on this forum. I bet they will tell you that my user interface is really easy to use - and does not require *any* software on the host side beyond a simple terminal program such as Hyperterm or Teraterm. And without any host-side software, my programmer will work with any operating system - DOS, Windows, Mac OS, CP/M, Northstar DOS, whatever.

                                                My manual explains how the programmer works in great detail, and includes exact timing diagrams for the programming waveforms. I don't think you need my source code as a guide for your own code. Probably 90% of my code is dedicated to the user interface, which you say you plan to rewrite anyway.

                                                Martin

                                                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, qasimasg <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                                > Thanks for your prompt reply.
                                                > If it is not possible to openly share firmware then is this possible that you email me the firmware to get an idea that how code works (qasimasg@...) or (qasimasg@...), which would really helpful in writing my own code (using PIC16F877) as well as i am also working to make GUI (Graphical User Interface) in Visual Basic so that user can use it more easily.
                                                >
                                                > Looking forward for your favorable reply ...
                                                >
                                                > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mfeberhard" <eberhard@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > There come a point where you might just buy one of my kits... Are you planning to clone my programmer? If so, I expect that your costs will be higher than buying the kit from me, as I have been selling my kits at my cost (without profit), and I have been able to get a lower PC board cost by buying several at a time. Also, PC board layout matters in this design, because of the relatively high voltages and currents required to program the 1702.
                                                > >
                                                > > As I said in my last post, the manual pdf file is far too large to post here at Yahoo. You can find a copy of the manual here, on my Google Drive:
                                                > >
                                                > > https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-XdfCubTNJJSzQtRnJzc19raDA/edit?usp=sharing
                                                > >
                                                > > The programming software is not my property to distribute. I used MPLAB from Microchip to program the PIC microcontroller. You can find MPLAB on Microchip's website.
                                                > >
                                                > > I am not willing to publish my PIC firmware openly at this time, mainly because I don't want to get into discussions about how it works (it is a little complex), or other people's ideas about what is the "correct" programming style (it is written in PIC assembly language, and it uses software timing loops for critical timing). I have distributed my firmware source code to customers of the ME1702A already.
                                                > >
                                                > > Note, by the way, that I am out of PC boards for the ME1702/A right now, and do not plan to have any more fabricated unless I get requests for at least another 6 kits. I may have one more kit available soon, as it was lost in the mail, and has apparently resurfaced in Germany...
                                                > >
                                                > > Martin E
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, qasimasg <no_reply@> wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > thanks for your prompt reply.
                                                > > > If possible then kindly share Firmware, programming software and manual for 1702A programmer.
                                                > > > waiting for your favorable reply ...

                                              • ross.milbourne
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 17 2:00 PM
                                                  Hello Martin

                                                  Are you still taking orders for these as I would like to buy or build one.

                                                  Kind regards

                                                  Ross