Re: Search for the 'Lost' BASIC source code

  • alltare
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5 11:59 AM
      I don't think MITS ever released the source code (it was really owned
      by Micro-Soft, you'll recall). I certainly never saw it when I
      worked there, but I was a hardware guy. I'm sure the MITS and MS
      software people all had access, though. Mr. Gates, are you listening?

      --- In altaircomputerclub@y..., tomdavidson62 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Did anyone ever find the source for Altair BASIC?
      > There was a bit of a flurry a few months ago, but
      > the story seems to have died and all the websites
      > that had anysort of real hard info seem to have
      > vanished. I managed to extract some disassembly from
      > Google's cache and the Wayback machine, but it's mostly
      > incomplete.
    • tomdavidson62
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5 9:19 PM
        Bill Gates had promised to release the source, if he could find it..
        And somehow a copy was discovered at Harvard, behind a file cabinet,
        but then it vanished, but someone had seen it, but was NDA'ed by
        Microsoft.. do a google search, The Register has a bit more to the story.