1702A EPROM Programmer Project Working

  • Stephen L
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2011
      Hi Folks,

      I'm pleased to report that I completed the project to build an EPROM programmer (and reader) for the 1702A. That device is used in the Altair 8800bT Turnkey computer and I needed to make a TURMON prom for that. Thanks to Steve P. and others here, I was able to burn that prom and verify it.

      The goal of the design is to keep the hardware as cheap and simple as possible, relying on PC software to do most of the work. Almost 700-lines of QuickBasic later, it's a pretty nice little programmer, which minimizes stress on the eprom, meets all of the Intel specs, has various protection functions, verifies erasure and programming, flexibly reads binary and ASCII files and can capture an eprom to a file.

      I will be making the design available by publishing a DIY project article about it shortly on the Tronola.com website (with free software download).

      Next steps will be to burn an MBL eprom and fire up the Altair! By the way, I have the Stockly MBL.txt file for the code but also found info here that some of the Stockly captures were corrupted. Does anyone know if that is the best code to use?

      I really appreciate the help that this forum has given me.

      Steve L.

      Here is a photo of the programmer board:

    • B Degnan
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2011
        Great news!  Does anyone have a hex (or octal) listing of Tiny BASIC for 8080 in electronic format?  If so could you post it to the files section?  If there is no copy I will make one by hand when I have time.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 20, 2011
          > Great news! Does anyone have a hex (or octal) listing of Tiny BASIC for 8080 in electronic format? If so could you post it to the files section? If there is no copy I will make one by hand when I have time.

          --- Thanks, Bill!

          Don't know if it is the one you are looking for but I ran across the 8080 asm source code for Palo Alto Tiny Basic here:
          http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic/basic.info.html   (search the page for "Palo")

          Steve L.