Search for the 'Lost' BASIC source code

  • tomdavidson62
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2002
      Did anyone ever find the source for Altair BASIC?
      There was a bit of a flurry a few months ago, but
      the story seems to have died and all the websites
      that had anysort of real hard info seem to have
      vanished. I managed to extract some disassembly from
      Google's cache and the Wayback machine, but it's mostly
      incomplete.
    • alltare
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
        I don't think MITS ever released the source code (it was really owned
        by Micro-Soft, you'll recall). I certainly never saw it when I
        worked there, but I was a hardware guy. I'm sure the MITS and MS
        software people all had access, though. Mr. Gates, are you listening?

        --- In altaircomputerclub@y..., tomdavidson62 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Did anyone ever find the source for Altair BASIC?
        > There was a bit of a flurry a few months ago, but
        > the story seems to have died and all the websites
        > that had anysort of real hard info seem to have
        > vanished. I managed to extract some disassembly from
        > Google's cache and the Wayback machine, but it's mostly
        > incomplete.
      • tomdavidson62
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
          Bill Gates had promised to release the source, if he could find it..
          And somehow a copy was discovered at Harvard, behind a file cabinet,
          but then it vanished, but someone had seen it, but was NDA'ed by
          Microsoft.. do a google search, The Register has a bit more to the story.