Altair 680 expander board replica, and Altair paper tape images

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2011
      I am thinking of replicating the expander board for the Altair 680. If I do, I can have a short run of them fabricated, and I guess the cost will be somewhere between $30 and $50 each for the bare PC boards with gold-plated fingers and solder mask.

      I plan to do this sometime before Christmas. I plan to make a close copy to the original, including trace routing, markings, etc. I am sure they won't be absolutely identical, but they will be close.

      I would be happy to have several more fabricated, if there is an interest. Please let me know if you think that you would like one. Your price will be my actual cost plus shipping cost. This is not a hard commitment from you - just let me know you're interested. We'll work out the details when I know the exact cost.

      Conversely, if you have a 680 expander board that you'd like to sell me and save me a whole bunch of work, please let me know!

      Also - I will post (in just a few minutes) the contents of the following 680 paper tape images:

      * 680 Basic Version 1.1
      * 680 Assembler/Editor Version 1.0
      * 680 Editor Version 1.0

      I put a header at the beginning of each file that explains what it is.

      These files were made from original, never-used Altair paper tapes - I ran each through my Teletype exactly once to produce a Master Copy of each. These files were made from the Master Copies. I have also made working copies of each. So far, I have tried the Basic tape, and it works perfectly.

      It's really a hoot to see the Altair 680 Basic sign-on message after watching the teletype read the tape for well over a half hour. The 1976 copyright message is a true voice from the past!

      Martin