Re: SNEEK PEEK @ ALTAIR 680 AUCTION!!!!

  • steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2011
      Nice looking computer, but no boards included (memory, etc.)?

      I think the the front panel's white "Altair 680" is more rare and an earlier version than the front panels with blue lettering.

      Please let us know the eBay item # when you get it listed.

      Steve
      ====================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "jfreek82" <jfreek82@...> wrote:

      > Okay people,
      > I'm in the progress of setting up an auction on e-bay. but i have my
      > pics posted already and figured you might want to see them.
      >
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655040@N08/sets/72157627562215747/
      > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655040@N08/sets/72157627562215747/>
      >
      > Enjoy!

    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17, 2011
        Um... I hate to be a snit, but I don't think there were green
        LEDs when the 680 was new. At the very least, that indicates
        some repairs. Not surprising really, the power and run LEDs
        would get the greatest burn time and be the most likely to fail.

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17, 2011
          maybe so but i can assure you that it has not been touched or even plugged in except to prove that it works seance my father last played with it in 1978. if they are replacements (witch i dont think they are) then they are at least that old.

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

          > Um... I hate to be a snit, but I don't think there were green
          > LEDs when the 680 was new. At the very least, that indicates
          > some repairs. Not surprising really, the power and run LEDs
          > would get the greatest burn time and be the most likely to fail.

        • horacehall
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18, 2011
            It looks like he did a replacement of the PROM chip that carried the operating system software (the BUG, I think they called it). There are 4 big chip sockets right in front of the transformers, three of which are empty but the innermost one has a black chip mounted "piggyback" in the air above what appears to be an old chip in the socket. The piggyback chip's in a socket connected by jumper wires to the original socket & to a few small chips, too, it seems.

            I don't recall such a mod being included in the original construction manuals. It resembles a mod I made to my 680b to replace the original Bug software with a (then) more popular Southwest Tech Products SWATBUG (or maybe it was SWTBUG) operating system with a few more features. I was also able to double the clock speed with the new chip. It also enabled me to build an interface card to use a Southwest floppy disk controller card and RAM card.

            Two transformers & fan weren't required in the basic kit package but the second was needed if more than the basic motherboard was installed. Your two transformers look identical; that plus the fan, make me wonder if that might be a factory assembled 680b.

            --Wayne

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "jfreek82" <jfreek82@...> wrote:

            > Okay people,
            > I'm in the progress of setting up an auction on e-bay. but i have my
            > pics posted already and figured you might want to see them.
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655040@N08/sets/72157627562215747/
            > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655040@N08/sets/72157627562215747/>
            >
            > Enjoy!

          • steve
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 18, 2011
              Nice catch, Bill. I completely missed those green LEDs.

              I'm pretty sure that they were available in 1976 (I'm looking at a device I built in ~77 that uses red, yellow, and green LEDs), but I'm positive that MITS never used them in 680s or any other computer. Those 2 green ones are definitely replacements for the originals. It wouldn't take much effort to change them back, though. Just make sure you use LEDs that are indicator brightness rather than the more common superbrights. I think these might be about right:

              http://www.kingbrightusa.com/product.asp?catalog_name=LED&product_id=WP7113LID

              steve
              =========================

              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

              > Um... I hate to be a snit, but I don't think there were green
              > LEDs when the 680 was new. At the very least, that indicates
              > some repairs. Not surprising really, the power and run LEDs
              > would get the greatest burn time and be the most likely to fail.

            • billdeg
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 28, 2011
                Per earlier thread, the ALTAIR "white label" 680 sold for $2685 on Ebay.

                The serial number of the system is c 11375.

                I believe they all started with either "c 11nnn" or "e 11nnn" where nnn would be the production number. Not sure what the c or e mean, but I assume kit and assembled. But then why use c or e?

                Bill
              • steve
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 29, 2011
                  My "white label" 680 has serial # e11982. It's probably built from a kit- there's flux on the front panel and mother board solder joints, which would have been removed if factory-built.

                  Steve