Re: New Altair 8800 owner in Australia

  • tkaragiris
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2011
      Martin,

      Thanks very much for this info. I've placed an order for some molex connectors. Fortunately the ends of the cables going to the cassette interface already have the pins on the ends.

      I may still get the pins and crimp tool if I need to create a serial cable. I've also placed an order for a serial/ttl interface so I can try and use my 88SIOB card to connect to a terminal.

      I'll give people an update when it all arraives.

      Thanks,
      Theo
    • W Tom
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 22, 2011
        In the Austrailian Altair, is their a cassette board and 88-SIOB or is there an 88-ACR. The 88-ACR is an 88-SIOB with a piggyback modem board and the combo is a cassette interface.

        Are their other traditional uses for the 88-SIOB besides an 88-ACR? I have a spare 88-SIOB and I will try the $5 serial/TTL converter that effectively turns an 88-SIOB into a 88-SIOA. The serial/TTL converter also looks like a good match for MITS Attache Video boards.

        Theo mentions an 88-4PIO. Has any come up with a good use for this parallel interface board besides a MITS Hard Disk Controller? I'm guessing the 88-4PIO might be able to interface to a bi-directional PC printer port. Is anyone booting using an 88-4PIO

        Tom S.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 23, 2011
          The 88-4PIO manual shows you how to hook it up as a bi-directional parallel port, and it should be no problem to interface it to a parallel printer such as a Diablo or a Spinwriter. I plan do do exactly this in the next year sometime.

          The standard Altair boot code lets you select your boot device via front panel switches, and one of the choices is to boot from the 88-4PIO. This is what you would use if you wanted to boot from the OP-80A paper tape reader (http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/OAE80_Reader/OAE80_Index.htm) - a favorite, low-cost reader in the mid- to late-70s.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 23, 2011
            Thanks Martin. I assume the sense switches on the Turnkey board are used to select the boot device for those of us who don't have a front panel.

            I'm not likely to boot from and old device. So, my question is more about interfacing to a modern device. That may make my question about a PC printer port.

            A serial Qume, Diablo, or Spinwriter may be the ideal impact character printer. Don't be misled by the 50-pin cable on some daisy/thimble printers. The 50-pin API interface used by MITS and Vector Graphic is actually a non-RS-232 serial interface. I have a Qume interface if you need one. I also have the prototype Spinwriter mod if you want to add ribbon lift.

            I have some 88-PIO boards and don't know what to do with them. I don't wamt a Pertec hard disk (too big and heavy). A PC interface might allow for a PC-based hard disk emulator or fast serial/parallel converter boot.

            W. Tom Sanderson

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mfeberhard" <eberhard@...> wrote:

            > The 88-4PIO manual shows you how to hook it up as a bi-directional parallel port, and it should be no problem to interface it to a parallel printer such as a Diablo or a Spinwriter. I plan do do exactly this in the next year sometime.
            >
            > The standard Altair boot code lets you select your boot device via front panel switches, and one of the choices is to boot from the 88-4PIO. This is what you would use if you wanted to boot from the OP-80A paper tape reader (http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/OAE80_Reader/OAE80_Index.htm) - a favorite, low-cost reader in the mid- to late-70s.
            >
            > > Theo mentions an 88-4PIO. Has any come up with a good use for this
            > > parallel interface board besides a MITS Hard Disk Controller? I'm
            > > guessing the 88-4PIO might be able to interface to a bi-directional PC
            > > printer port. Is anyone booting using an 88-4PIO

          • steve
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 24, 2011
              Martin,

              The Altair Q70 interface board was designed to interface to a Qume Sprint 3 daisywheel printer via Qume's OEM parallel interface. With no modifications other than what Tom has referred to, it could also operate the NEC 5500 SpinWriter print thimble printers that were equipped with that same interface. Although you could conceivably use a 4PIO board for these printers, it might be easier to find a Q70 board.

              Both of those printers were also available with serial interfaces, in which case something like a 2SIO would be the appropriate interface. MITS only sold and supported the parallel versions.

              Steve