Re: Altair 8800B and DataKeeper hard disk

  • steve
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2011
      If anyone accepts David's offer, I have a lot of spare parts and documentation for the Datakeeper hard drive (I'm assuming it's a Pertec D3422), such as power supplies, HD controller boards (the controller is a separate unit the size of the DCDD single 8" floppy cabinet), cables, heads, and other parts. Not free, but not expensive either. Please contact me off-forum if interested.

      FYI, the shipping weight of the drive alone will probably be around 100 pounds, so shipping to the US will cost a bit.

      Steve
      alltare ~at~ yahoo ~dot~ com
      =====================================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "davidchester2" <david@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm from the United Kingdom and having a clearout of my attic as I am moving house.
      >
      > I have an an Altair 8800B computer with 256k RAM and 2 megaherzt 8080. I think the transformer and that gigantic capacitor are missing but not had the lid off for very many years.
      >
      > Also have the Mits DataKeeper 2 x 5Mb 14 inch hard disk and Pertec controller.
      >
      > Several 14 inch disks one with Microsoft Basic and one with EFAMOS multi-tasking opsys on it.
      >
      > My wife is pressing me to take it all to the dump but I don't want to do that if someone wants it.
      >
      > David

    • davidchester2
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2011
        > I have an an Altair 8800B computer with 256k RAM and 2 megaherzt 8080. I think the transformer and that gigantic capacitor are missing but not had the lid off for very many years.

        I should add, purely for amusement value, that I have had this computer system from new!

        It's original 1Mhz 8K RAM twin floppy incarnation was in 1977 when, with no boot prom available yet, I had to key in the boot loader each morning in octal, using the front panel toggle switches. It was then upgraded to 32K RAM and 2Mhz processor and the 10Mb hard disk. Finally I went multitasking with the single board 256K RAM (a bit "wow" in the 8K board days) thanks to a chap called Roger Newman who looked after it for me after our original UK dealer folded.

        David
      • Steve Piette
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2011
          On 7/7/2011 10:07 AM, davidchester2 wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm from the United Kingdom and having a clearout of my attic as I am moving house.
          >
          > I have an an Altair 8800B computer with 256k RAM and 2 megaherzt 8080. I think the transformer and that gigantic capacitor are missing but not had the lid off for very many years.
          >
          > Also have the Mits DataKeeper 2 x 5Mb 14 inch hard disk and Pertec controller.
          >
          > Several 14 inch disks one with Microsoft Basic and one with EFAMOS multi-tasking opsys on it.
          >
          > My wife is pressing me to take it all to the dump but I don't want to do that if someone wants it.
          >
          > David

          I didn't catch where in the UK this was located. I'm going to London next week and would be interested in the CPU chassis but my wife would kill me if I brought home the drive subsystem.