Bringing up Altair

  • geistmarty
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2010
      Hi All;
      I am in the near future, be bringing up an Altair, it has a Parasitic Engineering Power Supply.... I will Bring it up with a Variac and a Scope, With NO Boards and After I get things wired up... I will Check all the Parts.... So, I will Let everyone Know How things Go, as things get along....
      Thank You Marty
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 17, 2010
        Hi Marty,

        I've created a folder called Parasitic Engineering, where I parked 2 documents: one is the original manual for the Parasitic Engineering power supply upgrade, the other is an errata sheet for this upgrade.

        Note that there is a minor mistake in the Parasitic Engineering design; the errata sheet corrects this mistake. I would recommend that you make this easy fix while you are bringing up the power supply.

        good luck!
        Martin

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@...> wrote:

        > Hi All;
        > I am in the near future, be bringing up an Altair, it has a Parasitic Engineering Power Supply.... I will Bring it up with a Variac and a Scope, With NO Boards and After I get things wired up... I will Check all the Parts.... So, I will Let everyone Know How things Go, as things get along....
        > Thank You Marty

      • geistmarty
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 17, 2010
          Hi All;
          THANK YOU Martin, I already have their Origional Sheet, BUT I do not have the erratta sheet, I will compare Your origioal sheet to my origional sheet.... So THANK YOU Marty
          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mfeberhard" <eberhard@...> wrote:

          > Hi Marty,
          >
          > I've created a folder called Parasitic Engineering, where I parked 2 documents: one is the original manual for the Parasitic Engineering power supply upgrade, the other is an errata sheet for this upgrade.
          >
          > Note that there is a minor mistake in the Parasitic Engineering design; the errata sheet corrects this mistake. I would recommend that you make this easy fix while you are bringing up the power supply.
          >
          > good luck!
          > Martin
          >
          > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All;
          > > I am in the near future, be bringing up an Altair, it has a Parasitic Engineering Power Supply.... I will Bring it up with a Variac and a Scope, With NO Boards and After I get things wired up... I will Check all the Parts.... So, I will Let everyone Know How things Go, as things get along....
          > > Thank You Marty

        • Paul Heller
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 17, 2010
            Hi Marty, Good luck with it. I'll be interested to here where and how you use the scope on the Altair. A friend of mine gave me one of these scopes once but I've never known how to use it on anything other than test circuits. What kind of readings will you be looking for?

            Paul
          • geistmarty
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 18, 2010
              Hi All;
              Paul, I will use the Scope to see hoe flat the DC is, How much ripple there is before the Caps and after the caps, what the AC looks like, What kind of Voltage readings I have, etc....
              THANK YOU Marty

            • ragooman@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 18, 2010
                there is no ripple before or after the caps, its the same connection. What can happen is there might be some voltage drop if the wiring is decayed between the power supply and the backplane thus reducing current capacity. What you also like to check is the ripple without a Load - ie.no cards - then with a Load - as many cards possible - to see if the caps are still working properly. The Load is what can cause more ripple as more demand for more current. Or you use a dummy load power resistor instead to check for stress on the filter caps.

                Paul, I will use the Scope to see hoe flat the DC is, How much ripple there is before the Caps and after the caps, what the AC looks like, What kind of Voltage readings I have, etc....
                THANK YOU Marty

                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Paul Heller <paul0926@...> wrote:

                > Hi Marty, Good luck with it. I'll be interested to here where and how you use the scope on the Altair. A friend of mine gave me one of these scopes once but I've never known how to use it on anything other than test circuits. What kind of readings will you be looking for?
                >
                > Paul

              • geistmarty
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 18, 2010
                  Hi All;
                  I was thinking of -- if I had Bad Caps, it would show up --- Thank You for the Correction
                  THANK YOU Marty