8" Hard Sector Floppies

  • geistmarty
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 14, 2010
      Hi All;
      Does any one know where to get the 8" Hard (32) Sector Floppies at a Decsent price ??????
      THANK YOU Marty
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 14, 2010
        Hi Marty,

        I haven't found them for sale new anywhere. However, I see them from time to time on eBay going for cheap - and I usually pick them up when the price is right.

        Watch it though... I bought one box that looked a little weathered on the outside. The disks were messed up - the oxide coating would peel off the surface of the disks and stick to the heads in my disk drives :-( pain in the neck to clean.

        Martin

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@...> wrote:

        > Hi All;
        > Does any one know where to get the 8" Hard (32) Sector Floppies at a Decsent price ??????
        > THANK YOU Marty

      • geistmarty
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
          Hi All;
          I have found Athana a brand that I don't know, they have 32 hard sectors for sale at $98.00 for a box of 10.... But they are the only ones I have found so far....
          THANK YOU Marty

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mfeberhard" <eberhard@...> wrote:

          > Hi Marty,
          >
          > I haven't found them for sale new anywhere. However, I see them from time to time on eBay going for cheap - and I usually pick them up when the price is right.
          >
          > Watch it though... I bought one box that looked a little weathered on the outside. The disks were messed up - the oxide coating would peel off the surface of the disks and stick to the heads in my disk drives :-( pain in the neck to clean.
          >
          > Martin
          >
          > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All;
          > > Does any one know where to get the 8" Hard (32) Sector Floppies at a Decsent price ??????
          > > THANK YOU Marty

        • Stephen A. Arnett
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
            Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re: 8" Hard Sector Floppies Hey Marty.  Herb Johnson advertises having them on his website for $25 plus shipping.  Since I've been shopping for them for you and me, I've seen two other sources, one in mid thirty range delivered and another in the mid twenty range delivered.  I believe Herb tests his.  The other two sources are sealed old stock and I haven't yet received test lots from either party.  I also heard that there was a vintage group that commissioned some runs of hard sectored media a while back and that some people may be sitting on far more than they realized they would ever need.  I haven't poked the Vintage Computer community forums to confirm this however. Stephen A.

            On 12/15/10 10:20 AM, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@...> wrote:

            Hi All;
            I have found Athana a brand that I don't know, they have 32 hard sectors for sale at $98.00 for a box of 10.... But they are the only ones I have found so far....
            THANK YOU Marty
          • Jack Rubin
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
              Steve and Marty,

              I think I have two NOS boxes of disks if you want to try them. You can each have
              one box "as-is" for $5 plus postage if you're interested.

              Jack