Re: New caps in how to test?

  • geistmarty
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 22, 2010
      Hi All;
      Two things, first, I think Dan is correct that you need to check that you can enter data into and read from memory... second that the Imsai and Altair are a little different, (Maybe the Altair is rebelling that you are using an Imsai program) the Imsai has another set of lights that the Altair Does not have.. That set of lights is the Data out to 377 (FF) or front Panel, so if you try to write to it you won't get anything from the Altair Front Panel... The Altair uses the upper sense Switches for front panel input I am not sure if it can also output to these same Address Switches, but it doesn't have a Data out set of lights that the Imsai has.....
      THANK YOU Marty

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Green <gmeanie@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Forgot to mention I also checked the rectifiers on the CPU and RAM card and
      > > the passed.
      > >

      > I think I lost track of this thread.
      > It's good that you have the power supply working again.
      > But I suppose you still have some unknown boards to test, correct ?
      >
      > One quick check is to try and deposit data into memory using the Front
      > Panel.
      > 1. flip all Addr sw. to 0's :select Mem.addr. 000 000
      > 2. press Examine sw up to read current addr selected.
      > 3. flip Data sw to '10 101 010' :select arbitrary pattern to distinguish
      > data bits
      > 4. press Deposit sw up :write data to mem.addr 000 000
      > 5. Observe Data LEDs a top reflect the same pattern
      > 6. If yes, continue to write more data,
      > 7. press Deposit Next sw down to write next location
      > 8. Observe that Data LEDs reflect the same pattern for *each* addr
      > 9. continue to write more data for several more locations.
      >
      > This will check the basic overall operation of the Front Panel together with
      > the CPU card.This check is necessary to know if you can properly enter data
      > via the front panel before ever trying to execute any code.
      >
      > hope this helps
      > =Dan

    • Green
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 22, 2010
        Forgot to mention that I have no problems depositing into memory.

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Green <gmeanie@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Forgot to mention I also checked the rectifiers on the CPU and RAM card and
        > > the passed.
        > >

        > I think I lost track of this thread.
        > It's good that you have the power supply working again.
        > But I suppose you still have some unknown boards to test, correct ?
        >
        > One quick check is to try and deposit data into memory using the Front
        > Panel.
        > 1. flip all Addr sw. to 0's :select Mem.addr. 000 000
        > 2. press Examine sw up to read current addr selected.
        > 3. flip Data sw to '10 101 010' :select arbitrary pattern to distinguish
        > data bits
        > 4. press Deposit sw up :write data to mem.addr 000 000
        > 5. Observe Data LEDs a top reflect the same pattern
        > 6. If yes, continue to write more data,
        > 7. press Deposit Next sw down to write next location
        > 8. Observe that Data LEDs reflect the same pattern for *each* addr
        > 9. continue to write more data for several more locations.
        >
        > This will check the basic overall operation of the Front Panel together with
        > the CPU card.This check is necessary to know if you can properly enter data
        > via the front panel before ever trying to execute any code.
        >
        > hope this helps
        > =Dan

      • Green
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 22, 2010
          My wife asked if they could run the same Binary programs and I said yes they are almost the same computer LOL.
          I think I got the ADD numbers test from the altair manual to work. The answer comes out in Binary right? 2+2 won't = 4 if I am right.

        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 22, 2010
            If you want to jump in with both feet, try making music, all you need is an Altair and an AM radio:

            My wife asked if they could run the same Binary programs and I said yes they are
            almost the same computer LOL.
            I think I got the ADD numbers test from the altair manual to work. The answer
            comes out in Binary right? 2+2 won't = 4 if I am right.

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@...> wrote:

            > Hi All;
            > Two things, first, I think Dan is correct that you need to check that you can
            enter data into and read from memory... second that the Imsai and Altair are a
            little different, (Maybe the Altair is rebelling that you are using an Imsai
            program) the Imsai has another set of lights that the Altair Does not have..
            That set of lights is the Data out to 377 (FF) or front Panel, so if you try to
            write to it you won't get anything from the Altair Front Panel... The Altair
            uses the upper sense Switches for front panel input I am not sure if it can also
            output to these same Address Switches, but it doesn't have a Data out set of
            lights that the Imsai has.....
            > THANK YOU Marty
            >
            > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Green <gmeanie@> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Forgot to mention I also checked the rectifiers on the CPU and RAM card
            and
            > > > the passed.
            > > >

            > > I think I lost track of this thread.
            > > It's good that you have the power supply working again.
            > > But I suppose you still have some unknown boards to test, correct ?
            > >
            > > One quick check is to try and deposit data into memory using the Front
            > > Panel.
            > >   1. flip all Addr sw. to 0's          :select Mem.addr. 000 000
            > >   2. press Examine sw up to read current addr selected.
            > >   3. flip Data sw to '10 101 010'  :select arbitrary pattern to distinguish
            > > data bits
            > >   4. press Deposit sw up           :write data to mem.addr 000 000
            > >   5. Observe Data LEDs a top reflect the same pattern
            > >   6.  If yes, continue to write more data,
            > >   7. press Deposit Next sw down to write next location
            > >   8. Observe that Data LEDs reflect the same pattern for *each* addr
            > >   9. continue to write more data for several more locations.
            > >
            > > This will check the basic overall operation of the Front Panel together with
            > > the CPU card.This check is necessary to know if you can properly enter data
            > > via the front panel before ever trying to execute any code.
            > >
            > > hope this helps
            > > =Dan

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                altaircomputerclub-digest@yahoogroups.com
                altaircomputerclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Green
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 23, 2010
              My new plan is to find an extra LED and touch it to the back of the WO and M1 trace to see if it lights up. Maybe those are just bad LED's. I did have to resolder a cold solder joint on one and it works perfect now.