Re: Punching tape w/ disk basic

  • alltare
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2002
      Back in the old days, I found a way around that
      problem of having the "console" return to the normal (hex
      10 and 11) port, but it escapes me now just how I
      did it. Maybe it was this:<br><br>console
      18,1:list;:console 16,1 <br>(Readers please note: MITS BASIC
      normally spoke in decimal notation, not hex)<br><br>Note
      the addition of the semicolon. The semicolon
      supresses the final CR/LF after the listing is complete,
      and might allow the next command ("console 16,1") to
      be seen. If I'm wrong, sorry. It's been 25 years,
      after all.<br><br>The following are possible
      real-world-with-real-Altair solutions to your problem:<br><br>A possibility
      that should allow "Lprint" and "Llist" (print and list
      to the lineprinter) to work would be to put the
      punch at port 2 and 3. This is the port address of the
      Centronics , Printronix, and Okidata printers (the Qume
      printer locations of &H30 thru 37 would not work). When
      you boot up, tell BASIC that your printer is "C"
      (Centronics). Then, when you do an lprint or llist, you will
      output your data to port 3, where you have installed the
      punch. <br><br>The real-world problem here is that a
      MITS 2SI/O board can only be configured for 2 adjacent
      I/O locations. So if your main console (your CRT) is
      at &H10 and 11, you can't also talk to ports 2 and
      3. You would need another 2SI/O, SI/O, ar some other
      serial card that could be configured for the punch
      location. If the punch uses 20 ma current loop instead of
      RS-232, be sure that the serial board you use will
      support that protocol. The MITS 2SI/O and SI/O-C will
      both handle current loop.<br><br>Another possibility
      is that you might be able to "csave" (save to
      cassette) or "csave,A" (save a file in ASCII format to the
      cassette tape) if you put your punch at the ACR (cassette)
      I/O ports of 6 and 7. You would save a BASIC program
      to paper tape by typing <br><br><csave
      "filename"> or <csave"filename",A><br><br>You would
      load a punched program into your computer by using the
      <cload"filename"> command.<br><br>Again, it's been a long time, so
      my syntax may be slightly off. Although all
      reference to cassette functions disappeared from the Altair
      disk BASIC manuals, those functions still existed. If
      you look at disk BASIC's list of reserved words, sure
      enough, you'll see the cassette commands. Of course
      earlier non-disk manuals will describe these commands in
      full.<br><br>If you try any of these things, please let us know
      what works and what fails.<br><br>Steve