Need help with Capacitors

  • Green
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 21, 2010
      I ran the altair 8800 for a little to see if it would run which it did light up.
      I noticed the other day three of the 3300 UF Caps on the power board started leaking. What Caps can I replace these with or can you still buy the originals that where on there?
    • Green
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 21, 2010
        Here is a pic for some reason Yahoo won't let me upload to my Gallery
        here.

        [url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?607b510140.jpg][img]http:\
        //www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.607b510140.jpg[/img][/url]

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 22, 2010
          I've rebuilt several Altairs now, and all of them have had this problem with the electrolytics. Even though your Altair lights up, I *strongly* recommend against running it with the old capacitors in the power supply, as they are no longer filtering the 120Hz ripple from the transformer/bridge rectifier. You are putting an undue strain on all of the linear voltage regulators and the smaller electrolytics throughout the machine.

          When you pull these electrolytics out of the machine, you will notice how oddly lightweight they are - even the ones that don't have obvious goo leaking out the end. 100% of the ones I tested were no good - the electrolyte had dried up inside - hence the reduced weight.

          I could not find the exact capacitors to replace them - I suspect that they are no longer made precisely because they leak and dry up... However, if you look around, you can find similar-looking caps - ones where the outside of the cap is natural aluminum color. I recommend keeping the same uF value, but increasing the voltage and temperature ratings. They won't be any larger than what was there, and they only cost nominally more. But they will last a lot longer by over-specifying particularly the voltage.
        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 22, 2010
            I was able to find replacement caps, but their sizes are smaller that the originals.  There is a store in Baltimore, MD called Banesville Electronics.  If you need help they have knowledgeable staff that can help find equivalent parts.

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                altaircomputerclub-digest@yahoogroups.com
                altaircomputerclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Craig Landrum
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 22, 2010
              On 10/22/10 at 12:59 PM, billdeg@... wrote:

              >I was able to find replacement caps, but their sizes are
              >smaller that the originals. There is a store in Baltimore, MD
              >called Banesville Electronics. If you need help they have
              >knowledgeable staff that can help find equivalent parts. Bill

              Bill;

              FYI

              When I restored my 8800, I replaced all the caps. I was able
              find caps
              that matched the mf and voltage but were about half the diameter
              of the
              originals. Since they were rated the same, I used them and had no
              problem at all, even with a full up sustem (CPU, 4 16K static
              boards, a
              2SIO, the 2 disk boards, and Centronics board - all MITS boards.
              --
              Craig Landrum
              Chief Technical Officer
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 22, 2010
                Can I get a mouser link to what I need lol?
                The manual and caps from what I seen don't have Voltage on them? All I can see is a 3300uF +15 unless the Voltage is on the bottom of them.

                I am no expert just a hobby trying to restore one. Most electronics I built was some ren 24 and LOR Christmas boards to control Christmas lights.

                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Craig Landrum <craigl@...> wrote:

                > On 10/22/10 at 12:59 PM, billdeg@... wrote:
                >
                > >I was able to find replacement caps, but their sizes are
                > >smaller that the originals. There is a store in Baltimore, MD
                > >called Banesville Electronics. If you need help they have
                > >knowledgeable staff that can help find equivalent parts. Bill
                >

                > Bill;
                >
                > FYI
                >
                > When I restored my 8800, I replaced all the caps. I was able
                > find caps
                > that matched the mf and voltage but were about half the diameter
                > of the
                > originals. Since they were rated the same, I used them and had no
                > problem at all, even with a full up sustem (CPU, 4 16K static
                > boards, a
                > 2SIO, the 2 disk boards, and Centronics board - all MITS boards.
                > --
                > Craig Landrum
                > Chief Technical Officer
                > mindwrap, inc.
                > Phone: (540) 675-3015 x 229
                > Fax: (540) 675-3130
                > email: craigl@...

              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 22, 2010
                  On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Green <gmeanie@...> wrote:

                  Can I get a mouser link to what I need lol?
                  The manual and caps from what I seen don't have Voltage on them? All I can see is a 3300uF +15 unless the Voltage is on the bottom of them.

                  I am no expert just a hobby trying to restore one. Most electronics I built was some ren 24 and LOR Christmas boards to control Christmas lights.

                  the +15 is the voltage rating on there, I can see it in your pic, it says 15WVDC

                  Here you go

                  Mouser Part #: 594-2222-021-16152
                  Manufacturer Part #: MAL202116152E3
                  Manufacturer: Vishay/BC Components

                  Silverlight Page 778, Mouser Enhanced Catalog
                  PDF Page 778, PDF Catalog Page
                  PDF Data Sheet
                  Pricing (USD)
                  1: $2.02
                  10: $1.86
                  50: $1.69

                  =Dan

                • Green
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 22, 2010
                    Thanks

                    --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                    > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Green <gmeanie@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Can I get a mouser link to what I need lol?
                    > > The manual and caps from what I seen don't have Voltage on them? All I can
                    > > see is a 3300uF +15 unless the Voltage is on the bottom of them.
                    > >
                    > > I am no expert just a hobby trying to restore one. Most electronics I built
                    > > was some ren 24 and LOR Christmas boards to control Christmas lights.
                    > >

                    > the +15 is the voltage rating on there, I can see it in your pic, it says
                    > 15WVDC
                    >
                    > Here you go
                    >
                    > * Mouser Part #:*
                    > 594-2222-021-16152<http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-BC-Components/MAL202116152E3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwFf0viD3Y3cYadWv4E1LLChdeZo0sbC8%3d>
                    > * Manufacturer Part #:* MAL202116152E3 * Manufacturer:* Vishay/BC
                    > Components <http://www.mouser.com/bccomponents> * Description:* Aluminum
                    > Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 1500uF 25volts 20%
                    >

                    > [image: Silverlight] Page 778
                    > <http://www.mouser.com/enhanced_catalog/>, Mouser
                    > Enhanced Catalog
                    > [image: PDF] Page 778
                    > <http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/642/778.pdf>, PDF
                    > Catalog Page
                    > [image: PDF] Data Sheet <http://www.vishay.com/docs/28325/021asm.pdf> * Pricing
                    > (USD) * 1: $2.02 **
                    > 10: $1.86 **
                    > 50: $1.69
                    >
                    > =Dan
                    > --http://www.vintagecomputer.net/ragooman/

                  • Green
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 22, 2010
                      The part you gave me is a 1500uF 25V.
                      I am just wondering why use that over a 3300uF 16v if the original was 3300uF 15v?
                      Just trying to learn something here along the way :)

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 23, 2010
                        FYI
                        Here are some pics of the original caps of the 8800
                        http://vintagecomputer.net/MITS/8800/sn220744K/
                        bd

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 23, 2010
                          On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM, <billdeg@...> wrote:

                          FYI
                          Here are some pics of the original caps of the 8800
                          http://vintagecomputer.net/MITS/8800/sn220744K/
                          bd

                          In your previous link http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.607b510140.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D
                          it was showing the 1500uf 15wvdc caps - but now I can't access the freeimagehosting link at the moment.

                          In Bill's pic it does have the 3300uf caps.

                          That's just another value,

                          Mouser, 3300uf, 25v, Axial, $1.99each 140-TEA332M1EBK1633P

                          =Dan

                        • Tom at Home
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 23, 2010

                            My name is Tom Durston, one of the original MITS engineers.  I’m still in the electronics R&D business and also support old designs by locating alternate components.

                            For large PCB mount electrolytic capacitors used in power supply filtering and bypassing, here are some guidelines:

                            Ø       Mechanical fit and same package style is important;

                            o        (axial leads = wires sticking out of each end / radial = two wires from one end for vertical mounting) –

                            o        but if desperate, either style will do – may require an ugly installation if different style than original.

                            Ø       Voltage rating – equal to or greater than the original part – 16V or 25 V are excellent replacements for 15V capacitors;

                            Ø       ESR – lower is better (if specified) – the series resistance of the cap causes self-heating during peak rectifier current;

                            Ø       Temperature rating -  -40 to +85C is fine, but High Temperature caps will be more reliable and last longer (but more $$, of course);

                            Ø       Generally a larger capacitance value is better for filtering, but a m odern Low ESR capacitor of 5X or more higher value may cause excessive peak current in the rectifier diodes.

                            The capacitor part numbers that have been suggested below, and in other replies appear to be good replacements for the original MITS parts.

                            You may contact me here through the user group or at :

                            tomdurston@...

                            See the beginnings of my new webpage (built by W. Tom Sanderson) at :

                            http://altair8800a.tech.officelive.com/

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 23, 2010
                              Here is one I found that looks like the one already in there.
                              But the price is crazy! It would cost me 60.00 for 6 that I need to replace.
                              Any cheaper ones out there that look original?

                              http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kemet/PEG226HJ4330QE1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YR00Qowwle8IQHzFw7XiJto%3d

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 23, 2010
                                On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Green <gmeanie@...> wrote:

                                Here is one I found that looks like the one already in there.
                                But the price is crazy! It would cost me 60.00 for 6 that I need to replace.
                                Any cheaper ones out there that look original?

                                http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kemet/PEG226HJ4330QE1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YR00Qowwle8IQHzFw7XiJto%3d

                                Frankly, the specs of that is overkill for a Linear power supply - if it was a Switching Power supply that's another story. There's no reason you need to spend $9 for a Cap. The other one I just recenly posted will do just fine.

                                =Dan

                              • Tom at Home
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 23, 2010

                                  Great Choice.   The KEMET PEG226HJ4330QE1 is a top-of-the-line capacitor with the premium price.

                                  However, there are several lower cost caps that will do just fine, such as:

                                  Mouser Part #: 594-2222-021-16332

                                  Manufacturer Part #:

                                  MAL202116332E3

                                  Manufacturer:

                                  Vishay/BC Components

                                  Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 3300uF 25volts 20%

                                  Price Each: $2.94

                                  55 in stock

                                  ESR:

                                  0.099 Ohms

                                  Operating Temperature Range :

                                  - 40 C to + 85 C

                                  Here is one I found that looks like the one already in there.
                                  But the price is crazy! It would cost me 60.00 for 6 that I need to replace.
                                  Any cheaper ones out there that look original?

                                  http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kemet/PEG226HJ4330QE1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YR00Qowwle8IQHzFw7XiJto%3d

                                  --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Green" <gmeanie@...> wrote:

                                  > I ran the altair 8800 for a little to see if it would run which it did
                                  light up.
                                  > I noticed the other day three of the 3300 UF Caps on the power board
                                  started leaking. What Caps can I replace these with or can you still buy the originals that where on there?

                                • geistmarty
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 30, 2010
                                    Hi All;
                                    I got some of these Capacitors, they look great... they are about the same Diameter, but they are about Half as Long....
                                    THANK YOU Marty

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 30, 2010
                                      Hi All;
                                      I should Clearify that I got the Lower cost Cap....
                                      THANK YOU Marty