Just got a Altair 8800

  • Green
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2010
      I was just giving this Altair 8800 with a few cards inside.
      So far I see a CPU rev 1 card,8K memory card,Cassette card,8800_SerialTTL88SIOB,88-2SIO,16MCSstatic.

      So far I took the chance and didn't use a variac to bring it up with power. I took the cards out and flick the ON switch and it cme alive no smoke at all. Then I put the CPU card in and the other that I had and no smoke still.
      Now I just need to figure out how to test it the easiest way possible. I really don't know much about using these and hope to someday get it running with basic and a terminal.
      If you guys have any ideas on testing let me know.
    • steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
        GreenMeanie-
        I looked at the photos you posted. It looks like you have an 8800b motherboard, but everything else looks correct for 8800. The boards are all by MITS except the 8K memory board. FYI, the cassette board and SIOb card are piggybacked together to form what is known as the Altair ACR board set. The 2SIO board is capable of supporting two RS232 or TTY ports, but the parts for the second port haven't been installed. Too bad the 16K static RAM board is missing the memory chips. Maybe member Dave Freeman has those SEMI 4200 chips. Check his page at acpsurplus.com .

        8K of RAM is enough to load smaller versions of BASIC. Since you have the ACR, the best way to go is probably to find a copy of 4K or 8K MITS cassette BASIC. You can use your PC as a dumb terminal connected to the 2SIO board. Use a terminal program like RealTerm (it's free).

        I would check the three power supply voltages before installing any more boards. If they run much higher than 10V/18V/-18V, you probably have some repairs in store (those 3 voltages are regulated down to 5V, 12V, and -12V on each daughter board).

        In the interest of keeping things organized, I have renamed your picture folder as GREENMEANIE'S ALTAIR 8800. Please put all of your future photos in this folder. Likewise, if you upload any files, put them in a FILES folder with your name on it.

        Steve
        =================================

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2010
          Right now I took some video but I never did the youtube thing before so it kind of stinks. But hoping to get something from it so everyone can see it and then go from there.
          At one point I am calling the stacked board a serial and modem card LOL later to find out it is a cassette card.
          Started reading the instructions Online and they might as well be in Russian because most of the stuff is over my head. I have to give credit to people who used these machines in every day life.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2010
            Green,

            A good place to start is in our message archives. There's a lot you'll want to skip over, but also there are very informative threads pertaining to many of the things you need to know about.

            PS- You didn't really misspeak- the cassette card IS a modem card. It's just optimized to talk to a tape recorder instead of a phone.

            Steve