Altair & PC Transfers - Xmodem without CP/M, slightly OT

  • Agustus Finknottle IV "Gussy"
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
      For those who do a lot of transfers between Altairs & PCs:

      You don't need disk drives and CP/M to use Xmodem. 8080 code for it is freely available (try the Walnut CP/M CDROM). Take the Xmodem code and modify it to remove the disk file routines and instead have it read/write sequential bytes in RAM. Put it in an EPROM chip and you can now effortlessly transfer between your Altair and PC.

      -J
    • geistmarty
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2010
        Hi All;
        Do You have a copy of this code or a link to it ???????? I could not find the code, on the web..
        THANK YOU Marty

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2010
          Hi Marty,

          Try:

          http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/

          The Walnut CD is a "must have" item. Occasionally, one will show up on ebay.

          Also, code for the receive portion of Xmodem (already tailored for non-disk use) is in the M84 monitor program in the files section.

          enjoy,

          -J

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@...> wrote:

          > Hi All;
          > Do You have a copy of this code or a link to it ???????? I could not find the code, on the web..
          > THANK YOU Marty
          >
          > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Agustus Finknottle IV \"Gussy\"" <john_crane_59@> wrote:
          > >
          > > For those who do a lot of transfers between Altairs & PCs:
          > >
          > > You don't need disk drives and CP/M to use Xmodem. 8080 code for it is freely available (try the Walnut CP/M CDROM). Take the Xmodem code and modify it to remove the disk file routines and instead have it read/write sequential bytes in RAM. Put it in an EPROM chip and you can now effortlessly transfer between your Altair and PC.
          > >
          > > -J

        • Jack Rubin
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2010
            I'm happy to send a copy to anyone who needs it for $1 + shipping. Make sure you're not in a hurry - I can be pretty slow about getting things done but I'll get there after a bit.

            Jack Rubin

            Vintage Computer Festival Midwest - 9/18/10!
            http://www.vintage.org/2010/midwest/