[Altair Computer Club] Re: How to Transfer to a PC

  • geistmarty
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hi All;
      Here is the Serial Loader that I use, I just tried it out, to make sure it still works !!!!!!!!!!!
      0000 3e 076 mvi A '03
      0001 03 003
      0002 d3 323 out '10 (020)
      0003 10 020
      0004 11 021 Lxi D, 00 f0 (000 360)
      0005 00 000
      0006 f0 360
      0007 3e 076 Mvi A '11 (021)
      0008 11 021
      0009 d3 323 out '10 (020)
      000a 10 020
      000b db 333 input '10 (020)
      000c 10 020
      000d 0f 017 RRC
      000e d2 322 JNC 0b f0 (013 360)
      000f 0b 013
      0010 f0 360
      0011 db 333 input '11 (021)
      0012 11 021
      0013 12 022 STAX D
      0014 13 023 INX D
      0015 c3 303 JUMP 0b f0 (013 360)
      0016 0b 013
      0017 f0 360
      end of program
      Location 0006 is where you want to put the program to be loaded into memory ......
      Locations 0010 and 0017 are where is loader is located
      IT is not much but it works --- When you see that your program is loaded (I use tera-term-pro and it tells me when it has send everything) I just wait a little longer and restart the machine (to my monitor then I type G<ADDR> and it goes to what ever I have loaded

      THANK YOU Marty

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve;
      > There are some that I have that are Mits format i.e. Cassette or Tape copies from the internet, these are mostly the Basics and tools from Mits, that are on the WEB...
      > THANK YOU Marty
      >
      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi All;
      > > Steve, they are just plain Binary, no particular format, Just serially load into the Altair from a PC, Set your loader for the start of where you want to put the code and load it in... and run it.... It doesn't use an ending address, it could, but I haven't needed it yet... I just stop the machine hit stop and reset and examine (where the code is and then run....
      > > THANK YOU Marty
      > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Steve Piette <steve@> wrote:

      > > > IIRC = If I Recall Correctly or If I Remember Correctly.
      > > >
      > > > Are these paper tapes in one of the MITS loader formats or Intel Hex format?
      > > >
      > > > Steve

    • Steve Piette
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 5, 2010
        I don't see any reason why with the proper setup you can't connect the
        teletype directly to the PC and use TeraTermPro to capture the data from
        a paper tape to a file on the PC.

        The first issue would be cabling the TTY to the PC's serial port. Since
        both devices are likely configured as DTE's you'll need a null modem
        style cable with mating connectors (DB25F and DB9F)

        The second it opening the serial port in TTP with the right speed, 8
        bits and no parity. Assuming it's an ASR 33 it likely 110 bps but you
        said earlier that you had already been using the punch from the PC at
        300 bps so it sound like you have both the cabling and rate working.

        Open a log file in TTP with the binary option and then start the paper
        tape on the reader. Once it finishes close the log.

        This seems too easy, so what am I missing?
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 6, 2010
          What you may be missing is that the serial port on the PC has RS232 level signals and the teletype, if it is a standard teletype, is a current loop device. The two aren't compatible. Unless of course the teletype has already had the necessary circuitry added to it to do the conversion from standard teletype current loop to RS232 levels.

          Steve G./N4SEG (An old teletype mechanic)

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 6, 2010
            Hi All;
            Steve, In TeraTermPro , when, I want it to receice Data from lets say Com1 port , it gives me (Ithink) four choices, XMODEM, ZMODEM, KERMIT, and something else (I can't remember what right now), but NO Straight Binary load from the serial port... If I transfer to the Serial Port from the PC, I use 'SEND FILE' , But Nothing exists for 'RECEIVE FILE (Similiar to send file, with out a protocol)....

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 6, 2010
              HI All;
              Steve, I am not using a TeleType, but a Tape Punch/Reader with an RS-232 output, So connections are already taken care of....

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 6, 2010
                On 9/6/2010 9:20 AM, geistmarty wrote:
                > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Steve Piette<steve@...> wrote:
                >> I don't see any reason why with the proper setup you can't connect the
                >> teletype directly to the PC and use TeraTermPro to capture the data from
                >> a paper tape to a file on the PC.
                >>
                >> Open a log file in TTP with the binary option and then start the paper
                >> tape on the reader. Once it finishes close the log.
                >>
                >> This seems too easy, so what am I missing?
                > Hi All;
                > Steve, In TeraTermPro , when, I want it to receice Data from lets say Com1 port , it gives me (Ithink) four choices, XMODEM, ZMODEM, KERMIT, and something else (I can't remember what right now), but NO Straight Binary load from the serial port... If I transfer to the Serial Port from the PC, I use 'SEND FILE' , But Nothing exists for 'RECEIVE FILE (Similiar to send file, with out a protocol)....
                > THANK YOU Marty

                Marty,

                While it would be nice to use a error correcting protocol like those,
                all you really need to do is capture a log file of what the paper tape
                reader is sending. From the File Menu select Log... In the pop up window
                give it a file name and select the Binary Option at the bottom then
                start the reader.

                Steve
              • Steve Piette
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 6, 2010
                  On 9/6/2010 9:03 AM, Steve wrote:
                  > What you may be missing is that the serial port on the PC has RS232 level signals and the teletype, if it is a standard teletype, is a current loop device. The two aren't compatible. Unless of course the teletype has already had the necessary circuitry added to it to do the conversion from standard teletype current loop to RS232 levels.
                  >
                  > Steve G./N4SEG (An old teletype mechanic)

                  Thanks Steve but Marty has already said that his device is RS-232. It's
                  also clearer now that it isn't a TTY but a paper tape punch/reader.

                  I believe what I was missing, is that Marty didn't know that his PC
                  terminal emulator could simply receive files. Tera Term has a Send File
                  menu option that sends a files contents but it's simple Receive File
                  command is actually called Log. It's not just for sending files but for
                  capturing a record of the terminal session but can be used to receive
                  files from the remote device.

                  Regards,

                  Steve
                • geistmarty
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 6, 2010
                    Hi All;
                    I Don't want to use a protocol... I think I see now what you are saying, there is a receive under log instead of where I have been going. I will Try it out.... and see if I have any problems..
                    THANK YOU Marty

                    --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Steve Piette <steve@...> wrote:

                    > On 9/6/2010 9:20 AM, geistmarty wrote:
                    > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Steve Piette<steve@> wrote:
                    > >> I don't see any reason why with the proper setup you can't connect the
                    > >> teletype directly to the PC and use TeraTermPro to capture the data from
                    > >> a paper tape to a file on the PC.
                    > >>
                    > >> Open a log file in TTP with the binary option and then start the paper
                    > >> tape on the reader. Once it finishes close the log.
                    > >>
                    > >> This seems too easy, so what am I missing?
                    > > Hi All;
                    > > Steve, In TeraTermPro , when, I want it to receice Data from lets say Com1 port , it gives me (Ithink) four choices, XMODEM, ZMODEM, KERMIT, and something else (I can't remember what right now), but NO Straight Binary load from the serial port... If I transfer to the Serial Port from the PC, I use 'SEND FILE' , But Nothing exists for 'RECEIVE FILE (Similiar to send file, with out a protocol)....
                    > > THANK YOU Marty
                    >
                    > Marty,
                    >
                    > While it would be nice to use a error correcting protocol like those,
                    > all you really need to do is capture a log file of what the paper tape
                    > reader is sending. From the File Menu select Log... In the pop up window
                    > give it a file name and select the Binary Option at the bottom then
                    > start the reader.
                    >
                    > Steve

                  • geistmarty
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 6, 2010
                      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Steve Piette <steve@...> wrote:

                      > On 9/6/2010 9:03 AM, Steve wrote:
                      > > What you may be missing is that the serial port on the PC has RS232 level signals and the teletype, if it is a standard teletype, is a current loop device. The two aren't compatible. Unless of course the teletype has already had the necessary circuitry added to it to do the conversion from standard teletype current loop to RS232 levels.
                      > >
                      > > Steve G./N4SEG (An old teletype mechanic)
                      >
                      > Thanks Steve but Marty has already said that his device is RS-232. It's
                      > also clearer now that it isn't a TTY but a paper tape punch/reader.
                      >
                      > I believe what I was missing, is that Marty didn't know that his PC
                      > terminal emulator could simply receive files. Tera Term has a Send File
                      > menu option that sends a files contents but it's simple Receive File
                      > command is actually called Log. It's not just for sending files but for
                      > capturing a record of the terminal session but can be used to receive
                      > files from the remote device.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Steve

                      HI All;
                      YES, THAT is exactly what I needed and Didn't know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      THANK YOU Marty