Re: Altair downloads

  • jerwin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010
      Which files would be of interest here?

      I have a complete PLM80/ASM80 development environment including the Intel linker and locator, and ISIS emulator they all run under. This stuff is pretty much in the public domain now. Under Windows 7 I had to find a Dos emulator to run ISIS in, 8-bit apps and Win7 don't really get along.

      I also have my modified resident monitor. I took the original IMSI resident monitor as the core and added an ASM80 dissembler, word-wide memory display, a memory test and an Intel HEX format loader. The whole thing runs in PROMS from e000 up. The original one I did is in ASM80, I then rewrote a lot of it in PLM80 so it was easier to maintain.

      This serves as my resident 'OS' until I get the floppy subsystem finished. It is working now, but I just found and purchased the matching IMSAI dual-floppy system and may have to tweak some things to get it running right.

      My programming flow is as follows:
      1. I write code in PLM80 and/or ASM80.
      2. Compile, link, locate and objhex the code into an ascii intel hex format file.
      3. Start the hex loader on the IMSAI, then use the terminal emulator to 'download' the hex format file. The loader on the IMSAI reads the stream and puts it in memory where it belongs.
      4. I use the EXEC command in my resident monitor to start the program and use the debugging tools as needed.

      I recently wrote a sudoku puzzle generator in PLM80. Where a modern WINDOWS machine might take 200Ms to create and test a puzzle, the IMSAI takes 15-20 minutes, but it works!

      I love this stuff. Getting an old machine to actually do something is WAY more satisfying that writing some Java crap using .NET.

      In any case, I am more than happy to share this stuff, just let me know what here is interesting and I can figure out how to document and upload.

      Jeff Erwin
      (UC Berkeley grad from back when we were making this stuff up as we went along!)