ICOM 3712 Dual Disk Drive

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4 10:57 AM
      Hi,

      Anyone using this drive with their S-100 systems, and if so what controller are you using?

      Bill

    • W Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4 12:14 PM
        Bill,

        The iCOM FD360, FD3712, and FD3812 drives cabinets contained their own controller. The controller interfaced to the computer using an interface board. I believe thes drive cabinets were used with computers other than the S-100

        See: The first floppy controller for CP/M and S-100  by Herb Johnson for background info on early floppy systems.

        The drives in the 3712 cabinet are Pertec FD5xx drives. The FD3712 is SSSD ad the FD3812 is SSDD. Both cabinets are soft-sectored. I think the FD3812 and PCC 2000 use the FD-514-06. I'm not sure if the 3712 is a FD-514-03 configured for Single Density or another FD-51x model.

        Everyone please note that Pertec FD4xx and FD5xx drives are not hard-sectored. They are the 2/3 height drives that MITS used with hard-sectored controllers an iCOM used with soft-sectored controllers. The 50-pin interface can be configured to be standard Shugart. MITS used the 44-pin interface.

        The 3712 and 3812 both had versions of Lifeboat CP/M available. I think there was a boot prom on the interface. I hope someone with provide an image of the interface boards and the controllers in the drive cabinet.

        Side Note Tangent: The Blazer did not reach the market, but took the 3812 cabinet and replaced the controller with the WD Pascal Microengine.

        Tom

      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4 12:29 PM

          Ah.  I had read Herbs page, and we actually exchanged a few emails about it.  I have a good article I shared with him

          This article discusses the types of controllers used in the mid 70's drives, etc.

          I don't have the manual for the 3712, nor have I spent much time investigating it.  I was curious to see if anyone here had been using this drive in their Altair systems.