Serial cards...Re: FW: [Altair Computer Club] Re: Newbee to the group, Assembler & IDE ???

  • W Tom
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
      Dan,

      >I updated severalthings on my webpage and added this one link below to help sort out the S-100serial cards
      >There's a couple of links I still have to add to this which I should get tosoon.
      >I also notated on there about the diff modes the SSM IO4 can emulate.
      >http://www.vintagec omputer.net/ ragooman/ comp_s-100_ serial.html
      Dan,

      Great work on this page. I like have an overview of S-100 IO chip usage with images and pdf links. Please add the Altair Turnkey Module to the list of boards with a Motorola 6850.

      > As for theBitstreamer II, you mention on your website that it's compatible with theAltair.
      > http://tom12. tech.officelive. com/RS232CSerial .aspx
      > I don't know which Altair software runs with a 8251 uart.
      > Just the 2502 uart(88-SIO) , 6850 uart(88-2SIO, 88-UIO) and AY-5-1013uart(88-UIO)
      >I suppose if you have a system running CP/M, then it would be possible to usethis card.

      You are correct, the Bitstreamer II is not used by Altair software. A Bitstreamer II and 2SIO can exist is the came system with standard board addressing. I have the BIOS source for a Tarbell 1011D and M6850 IO and Tarbell with a Vector Graphic monitor. I also have the source code for VG serial monitors. I also have MDM 7.12 for the Bitstreamer.

      The Bitstreamer can be useful for CP/M or if you are not running MITS softare. The monitor code may be useful until source code for a better 6850 monitor is found.  The Bitstreamer is not useful for Altair BASIC or DOS.

      Tom

    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
        I am sure there's nothing overly special about my 88-DCDD drive, but I have not seen any pictures of the same version on the Internet.  I posted some on my web site

        http://vintagecomputer.net/MITS/88-DCDD/

        The images that start with "thm_" are on the right, the large images are on the left.  Most images don't also have a thumbnail.  I need to update my site to make it clearer, but for now, that's the scoop.

        Bill
      • W Tom
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
          Hello Bill and All,

          I encourage everyone to make picture of their equipment. There are a lot
          of Altair variations. Your Altair may be special.

          Bill's 88-DCDD has round switches, some have flat handle switches.
          Bill's 88-DCDD has a buffer board with address switches, many have
          address jumpers.
          Bill's 88-DCDD has a massive heat sink on the power supply, some have
          dead power supplies.
          Bill's front dress panel has write-protect, but the board has no LED.

          Questions:

          What direction does the fan blow?
          Is there duct tape on the case vents?
          Is the delay cap on this buffer board installed? Is it cut to disable?
          What model drives have a write protect sensor?
          Did any 88-DCDD implement write-protect?
          Document changes for A.C. drives - FD-5xx
          How many screws are used to mount the drive?
          What kind of spacer and mount are used on the back drive corner in the
          case middle?

          Tom

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

          > I am sure there's nothing overly special about my 88-DCDD drive, but I
          have not seen any pictures of the same version on the Internet. I
          posted some on my web site

          > http://vintagecomputer.net/MITS/88-DCDD/
          >
          > The images that start with "thm_" are on the right, the large images
          are on the left. Most images don't also have a thumbnail. I need to
          update my site to make it clearer, but for now, that's the scoop.

          > Bill

        • Dave Sroelov
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2010
            i never paid much attention to this, but it looks like MITS did make
            some improvements along the way. my two DCDD drives are serial numbers
            0923 and 0925 and they look just a bit different on the inside. the
            most glaring change is the cables. my drives do not have nice clean
            manufactured ribbon cables. i had to solder single conductor wires to
            all the connectors.

            this is one of those "when i was a kid, i had to walk five miles to
            school, up hill, in the middle of a tornado" stories you heard from your
            parents.