Re: Neat Altair link I ran across

  • c_swiger
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2000
      /*** One of the ways I convinced the local Altair
      store owner to take me on as hired help was by helping
      him debug one of the Pertec drives' controller
      electronics with a 'scope and logic probe (his wife/business
      partner asked him "why don't you get rid of that kid
      who's always hanging around?" to which he responded
      "because he's actually *helping* me :)" ***/<br><br>Haha -
      wonder where approximately was this store? I'd love to
      hear from anyone who remembers one in Charleston, WV -
      think it was just named generically "The Computer
      Store" or so, but I drove there from Beckley, WV to get
      kits, 4K BASIC, Scelbi software, club meetings, etc. It
      was in the bottom of a parking building on Washington
      St, IIRC. They had an ADM-3 terminal that we could
      fight over to play 'Startrek' on.<br><br>I've recently
      gotten an old Digital-Analog board working, and
      recovered some BYTE projects, "Serendiptions Circles",
      "Beer Budget Graphics", and am working or getting
      "Space War" running (but have lost the tape! Waaaah!!
      That's going to be a lot of typing :) and one other 3D
      graphics program that does calculations in BASIC and jumps
      to a USR program, which is the display proc part of
      'Space War' to draw a wire frame model on a scope, with
      various pitch and headings. So I'm using the Altair to
      draw a bunch of stuff on an o'scope.<br><br>Chuck