Prom Boards

  • geistmarty
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2010
      Hi All;
      Tom, I would be glad to help, I can transfer it on my machine to my PC, and if THAT doesn't work, I can copy it down by hand and put it in my text editor, convert it to a file that I can post on site if all would like.... or give back to you .... I am interested in all of the boards, but mostly the first one, and the one with ckd memory test. I have a working Grant Copy Altair with switching power supplies, which would be less likely to blow up in case of shorts or other power problems. I have a 1702 Eprom coping machine and so one way or another I can get the information out of the proms...even if I have to read the lights from each address and data LED's....
      THANK YOU Marty
    • W Tom
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2010
        Hello All;

        Thanks Marty and thanks to Bill for offering to help test.

        Each board represents 2K of memory. The contents may be test programs,
        boot routines, or maybe a monitor. Some proms may be the same for each
        board and some may be specific to an Altair model. I suggest comparing
        the code to code in the in-house technician manual.

        Marty, tell me more about your Eprom copying machine. Can it handle 2708
        & 2716 proms too? Can you interface to a PC or do you have to read a
        prom before duplicating. I'd like to make a 2716 backup of each board
        for prom programmers without a computer interface. Does anyone have 2716
        proms to contribute.

        I can read and duplicate 2716 proms on my DTK Turbo XT. My prom program
        can read an write 2716 or larger proms plus make checksums and files. I
        can't program 1702 or 2708. The 2716 proms could be used by other PROM
        programmers as a master for 2708 or 1702 copies.

        I tried a PMC addressed at F000 in my Attache and it looks like I can
        dump 1702 proms using the Vector Graphic monitor. Next, I'll boot CP/M
        and write an MBASIC4 program to PEEK at 2K bytes of code starting at
        F000. I can then write code to a file and transfer it to a PC where I
        can make a 2716 and publish files on a web page.

        The reverse could work too. Someone with a prom programmer could read
        the 1702 sets and burn a 2716. I could read the 2716 and make sets of
        256 byte files. Some 2708 pairs would work for the PMC8.

        I still need to read up on wait states and look for the fastest and
        cheapest 1702a PROMS. Does anybody know a source?

        What PDF manuals are available for the PMC, proms, or the 1702? I have a
        lot of 1702 documents. Does anyone have time or money for scanning?

        Tom

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@...>