Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re:Just put up this site, still working on it. Any suggestions??

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 12, 2010
      A friend and I were working on an Altair 8800a this weekend and we had a similar conversation.  I guess there are people who don't want to work in these systems, they want to use them and are willing to pay a bill rate of $100/hr or more.

      Something like this
      System - $2500 (person buys on Ebay)
      Labor - $4000 (pays someone to get it running)
      Total $6500

      Do you think there is a market for vintage computer repairs?  We had a discussion at some length on this same subject.  Inconclusive.

      Bill

      > I considered $6500 to be a fair price for the system.  It probably covered
      > my h/w outlay easily, but certainly didn't pay for the many hours of
      > debugging the hardware, replacing dead chips, cleaning boards and disk
      > drive heads, etc - but of course I never counted the time I spent doing it
      > as work that needed to be compensated - I spent the time as recreational
      > computing.  If someone were to hand me a bunch of boards, cabinets, cables,
      > drives, etc and ask that I get it working, I'd probably do it for free for
      > the entertainment value :-)
      >
      > And I'm sure many of you on this list feel exactly the same.

    • W Tom
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 13, 2010
        Bill,

        I could add a short to this board if it would help with enjoyment :)

        http://tom12.tech.officelive.com/CompuProSystemSupport1A02799A.aspx

        I love boards where everything is labeled and all chips have sockets.

        Jack,

        I'm embarrassed to have toasted a 680, but glad Grant cloned it first. At least I learned one cause of 680 board failure. The length of the spacer for add-on boards is important.

        I hope Grant has made progress on another production run of the add-on board. I don't trust my original boards. All but one are Rev 0 and I have no clue what MITS fixed for REV 1. Grant found many of the sockets and chips were bad because something had damaged to metal on the pins and sockets. Replacement RAM chips remain expensive. I think 680 memory is a case where newer may be better than original.

        Regards,

        Tom