Re: While we are talking about buying/selling..

  • W Tom
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 10, 2010
      Hi John.

      > I currently have an 8800b (full panel) with a turnkey card, ROM Basic,
      three MITS 16K static ram cards, and an 88-ACR.

      I'm always glad to hear of another working system. The 8800b is not the
      first Altair, however I think it is one of the best looking computers
      ever made. The Turnkey module is a great addition.

      You mention the 88-ACR. I have some original BASIC cassettes still in
      shrinkwrap:
      http://tom12.tech.officelive.com/software.aspx

      > I've accumulated a MITS 8800b style single disk drive and the dual
      MITS interface card for it. My goal is to upgrade to the disk drive.

      I've now heard from two people with single drive systems. I have a
      couple of MITS cabinets in line for power supply repair. There is no
      hurry, because the drives need repair too. I think drive repair cost
      over is over $500 assuming the plastic door/bezel parts are available.
      What are the known sources of Pertec drive repair services?

      From what I can tell, the Pertec drives are a "standard" Shugart
      interface. Does anyone have experience with MITS controllers an a
      non-Pertec drive? I have a Shugart and Qume DT/8 to try. I need to find
      power and make cables first. It would be great to find a 1/2-height
      8-inch drive that would work with MITS controllers. A 1/2-height drive
      would fit in the 2/3-height space. I

      > I think I can handle all the hardware, but I've been worrying about
      where to get the software, boot disks, etc. As far as what I'm
      interested in, I'll definitely need boot disks, both MITS DOS and CP/M,
      and any languages, utilities, or MITS DOS specific software

      Three members have contacted me. I can get each something to boot and
      test a drive. I only have one set of five disks that I think everyone
      should have. I have a supply of blank disks and can make copies after I
      repair a power supply. Does anyone else have software? There are two of
      us who need 5.25-inch boot disks.

      >(I think I have CP/M covered)

      I know a couple have Burcom CP/M. Is that the only implementation for
      MITS controllers? Does anyone have a hard-sectored disk with a CP/M
      modem program?

      > And of course, Star Trek.

      I may have some more games too. My theory is that everyone with drives
      should have complete set of all available MITS software plus CP/M and
      communications programs. The challenge is to locate software and a
      working two-drive system to make copies. That is the goal of Altair
      owners since 1975.

      Regards,

      Tom

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Agustus Finknottle IV
      \"Gussy\"" <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

      > Count me in. I can provide the diskettes and will gladly contribute
      to any "copy-testing" fund, if needed.

      > I currently have an 8800b (full panel) with a turnkey card, ROM Basic,
      three MITS 16K static ram cards, and an 88-ACR. I'm running with
      cassettes now, but over the last 2 years I've accumulated a MITS 8800b
      style single disk drive and the dual MITS interface card for it. My
      goal is to upgrade to the disk drive. I think I can handle all the
      hardware, but I've been worrying about where to get the software, boot
      disks, etc. As far as what I'm interested in, I'll definitely need boot
      disks, both MITS DOS and CP/M, and any languages, utilities, or MITS DOS
      specific software (I think I have CP/M covered). And of course, Star
      Trek.

      > -John
      >

      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "wtsnet" yahoo@ wrote:
      >
      > > I assume Star Trek is a must have program. What other software do
      other
      > > people have or want?
      > >
      > > Tom

    • W Tom
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 13, 2010
        Bill,

        I could add a short to this board if it would help with enjoyment :)

        http://tom12.tech.officelive.com/CompuProSystemSupport1A02799A.aspx

        I love boards where everything is labeled and all chips have sockets.

        Jack,

        I'm embarrassed to have toasted a 680, but glad Grant cloned it first. At least I learned one cause of 680 board failure. The length of the spacer for add-on boards is important.

        I hope Grant has made progress on another production run of the add-on board. I don't trust my original boards. All but one are Rev 0 and I have no clue what MITS fixed for REV 1. Grant found many of the sockets and chips were bad because something had damaged to metal on the pins and sockets. Replacement RAM chips remain expensive. I think 680 memory is a case where newer may be better than original.

        Regards,

        Tom