Altair Anniversary

  • sonicpt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2010
      I guess we have lived to see the 35th anniversary of the Altair. Does anyone know of any events or articles celebrating such? I still regret not knowing about the MITS 20th reunion until well after the event. (I was a MITS Altair dealer.)
    • steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 13, 2010
        Sonicpt,

        About four years ago when it first opened, the STARTUP computer history gallery (a wing of the NM Museum of Natural History and Science) had tentative plans to sponsor a reunion of the MITS employees as well as a festival of some sort. As recently as a year ago, there was still some discussion along those lines, but I haven't heard anything about it since then, so I've put in a call to the museum's director seeking information. As soon as I hear back from her, I'll let you know what's up.

        The 20-year reunion back in 1995 was a big hit. Ed Roberts, Paul Allen, and a bunch of other VIPs attended, and there was a huge collection of Altair equipment on display to the public. The local magazine that sponsored it, Computer Scene Magazine, is long gone, so it's unlikely that there will be a similar 35th year event in Albuquerque unless the Museum comes through.

        I haven't heard of any other cities or museums that have specifically targeted such a celebration, nor have I heard from any magazines or newspapers on the subject.

        It looks like the Altair is suffering the same fate as the slide rule and the HP-35. It's getting old enough that most people have simply forgotten about it. (I still have all 3 of those items, and still enjoy playing with them now and then. Slide rules are an absolute mystery to teenagers today).

        Steve
        =======================================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "sonicpt" <sonicpt@...> wrote:

        > I guess we have lived to see the 35th anniversary of the Altair. Does anyone know of any events or articles celebrating such? I still regret not knowing about the MITS 20th reunion until well after the event. (I was a MITS Altair dealer.)

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 13, 2010

          I still have my Faber-Castell sliderule

          =Dan

          steve wrote:
          Slide rules are an absolute mystery to teenagers today).

        • KB
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2010
            Let's make one!

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 15, 2010
              Steve and KB,

              I am anxiously awaiting your word from the Museum. Believe it or not, I did some work 10 years ago when thinking about trying to organize a 25 year reunion of Altair employees, dealers and users. I got info from the hotel (then Airport Marina) where the first WACC was held, and attempted to reach Ed Roberts. I thought that it was important for him to "bless" and hopefully attend such an event, but he never answered my letter. With that, I lost interest. I was at the WACC in 1976, and would love to see that event held again, a "WACC II". Albuquerque is the logical place, and the now Albuquerque Grand Airport Hotel would be cool. Its not too far from the old MITS factory. The hardest part is picking a date. That was why I tried to talk to Ed first. Any date selected is good for some, and impossible for others. (For me, anything before May 2010 would be difficult to attend.)The date selected might make or break the event. If the date fits, maybe Bill Gates would attend! (I wish I could find my photos of him at the first WACC!)

              Hey steve, Did I ever ask you if you knew a MITS sales guys named David Carey?

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 20, 2010
                Sonicpt, Ragoo, Vacuumboy1, et al,

                The director of the Albuquerque Museum of History and Science called me this morning. Neither the museum nor its STARTUP computer history wing have pursued any plans for a MITS reunion or any other kind of a MITS anniversary celebration. Like everyone else, they're blaming recent hard financial times and a need to spend their money elsewhere, so the tentative plans of a year ago are dead. The NM Computer Society has no plans either, but they might entertain some kind of a one-day 'show and tell' later in the year. It probably wouldn't be the kind of event that would justify travelling long distances to attend, although visitors would certainly be welcome. If this comes to pass, I'll post a message here.

                So that's where things stand here in Albuquerque. I'm sure the date won't pass without mention from several magazines, but it looks like we'll have to wait until the 40th anniversary for anything big to happen.

                Sonicpt- I was at the WACC too. What a blast it was to see all of those vendors and hackers (in the good sense of the word) in one place. Too bad WACC 2 never materialized.

                The name David Carey sounds familiar, but i don't recall anything about him. I didn't spend a lot of time with the sales dept. Maybe you can spot him in the photo at
                http://home.earthlink.net/~webdisk4/MITSemployees/MITSemployees.htm

                Steve
                ==============================

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 21, 2010
                  Steve,

                  Thanks for checking and passing on the disappointing news. I wish we could generate some interest in a bigger event.

                  Thanks for the MITS photo also. I don't believe David Carey is in the picture. Maybe he didn't work there that early. I became a dealer in November 1975, and he was my sales rep sometime after that.

                  About your MITS personnel photo. I think #26 was a girl named Angie. I believe she was a receptionist. I think she is on the cover of a famous color MITS brochure. The only reason I know this is because one of my employees who went to the WACC with me had a crush on her. I took several employees to the WACC and we drove out in two cars from Virginia. We had a ball, talking on CB's all the way. It was the first of several trips I made to MITS.

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > The 20-year reunion back in 1995 was a big hit. Ed Roberts, Paul Allen, and a bunch of other VIPs attended, and there was a huge collection of Altair equipment on display to the public. The local magazine that sponsored it, Computer Scene Magazine, is long gone, so it's unlikely that there will be a similar 35th year event in Albuquerque unless the Museum comes through.
                  > > >
                  > > > I haven't heard of any other cities or museums that have specifically targeted such a celebration, nor have I heard from any magazines or newspapers on the subject.
                  > > >
                  > > > It looks like the Altair is suffering the same fate as the slide rule and the HP-35. It's getting old enough that most people have simply forgotten about it. (I still have all 3 of those items, and still enjoy playing with them now and then. Slide rules are an absolute mystery to teenagers today).

                • Agustus Finknottle IV "Gussy"
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 24, 2010
                    Sounds good to me. Let's just have a "meetup" at the museum one weekend!

                    It doesn't have to be a huge gala event with any of the "founding fathers" dragged kicking and screaming out of retirement. (Although I would pay some serious $$ to have Ed sign the top of my Altair).

                    -J