Odd 8800 on eBay

  • Geoff
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2009
      Look at back panel on eBay item 250511097751, was that a standard layout for any version of 8800? It doesn't match any of the ones I've seen.

      Also, it looks like the power supply came from an 8800b and the card cage looks non-standard too. Or is this some version of 8800 that I've never seen before?

      Geoff.
    • steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2009
        At first I thought the picture had been mirror-imaged, but the serial number sticker (installed by the builder) isn't reversed, so the picture is legit.

        Yes, it looks like the PS from an 8800b, nothing like the 8800's PS. The transformer and filter capacitor, if properly installed in an 8800b, would have their positions reversed. In this computer, they're wrong because the panel is backwards.

        You're right- it doesn't look like a MITS mother board or card guides.

        Compare to the back panel photo at
        http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/180/MITS-Altair-8800b-Turnkey/

        Steve

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff" <oghull@...> wrote:

        > Look at back panel on eBay item 250511097751, was that a standard layout for any version of 8800? It doesn't match any of the ones I've seen.
        >
        > Also, it looks like the power supply came from an 8800b and the card cage looks non-standard too. Or is this some version of 8800 that I've never seen before?
        >
        > Geoff.

      • Michael Gregory
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2009
          My guess is, it's a home made modification. Probably, the person who originally modified it didn't like the Altair motherboard, blue plastic card guides or the original power supply design. The case, front panel and CPU appear to be original though. The card guide kind of looks like a cut up IMSAI  guide. With only the picture to go by it looks like a well done modification. However, the value has most certainly been negatively affected by the modification.

          Best Regards