Looking for a Micropolis Mod II MASTER disk... (70's era)

  • john_crane_59
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 11, 2009
      If anyone has one, I'd like to buy a copy, or at least use it to generate a new SYSTEM disk.

      I have MOD I diskettes in exchange. I use them in my SOL-20. These are 48 TPI diskettes whereas the Mod IIs are 100 TPI. I now have an Altair 8800B with dual Mod II drives that I'm restoring for a local IT museum. And as fate would have it, all my diskettes are Mod I and unreadable in the new machine.

      -John
    • oghull
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 12, 2009
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "john_crane_59" <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

        > If anyone has one, I'd like to buy a copy, or at least use it to generate a new SYSTEM disk.
        >
        > I have MOD I diskettes in exchange. I use them in my SOL-20. These are 48 TPI diskettes whereas the Mod IIs are 100 TPI. I now have an Altair 8800B with dual Mod II drives that I'm restoring for a local IT museum. And as fate would have it, all my diskettes are Mod I and unreadable in the new machine.
        >
        > -John

        I have a SOL-20 with Micropolis Mod II drives. Send me your mailing address offline and I'll send you a copy of the master disk (assuming the SOL still boots - it's been several months since I last booted it :).

        Geoff.
      • jack99rubin
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014
          John,
          I found this note after finding your earlier request for Mod I diskettes - I'd love to get a copy of your Mod I diskettes.
          Thanks,
          Jack
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 15, 2014
            Jack,

            I'll be generating a CP/M 2.2 master disk for a Mod II drive for the SOL-20 soon. From that, we can easily generate a working Mod-I system for you. We'll actually write the disk from your machine to your Mod-I drive with a disk image I'll create. Feel free to keep rattling my cage about it!

            Mike

          • Jack Rubin
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 17, 2014

              Mike,

              The disks and controller arrived last week while I was at VCF; I’m doing a lot of “stuff moving” over the next few weeks but hope to get a chance to work on at least getting the disks and controller checked out “soon-ish”. John Crane has also offered to help so I’m feeling very well supported. Thanks guys!

              Best,

              Jack

              I'll be generating a CP/M 2.2 master disk for a Mod II drive for the SOL-20 soon. From that, we can easily generate a working Mod-I system for you. We'll actually write the disk from your machine to your Mod-I drive with a disk image I'll create. Feel free to keep rattling my cage about it!

              Mike

              No virus found in this message.

            • Arnold Niemeier
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 24, 2014
                Hello Everyone,

                Does anyone have an Altair 8800 case for sale?
                I've tried to get in contact with Grant Stockly for a replica case.
                But he does not answer his email... :-(

                Thanks!
                Message 7 of 18 , May 8, 2014
                  Jack,

                  I now have my Sol-20 running CP/M 2.2 using a Micropolis FDC with Mod-II drives. Let me know when you're ready and I'll help you create the same thing for the Mod-I drives on your Sol.

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 12, 2014
                    Jack,

                    I just now paid close enough attention to your posts to see that you're referring to the Micropolis SYSTEM disk for running MDOS, not CP/M. I do have the MDOS SYSTEM disk for Mod-II drives. I'm not sure what it would take to convert that to be Mod-I compatible.

                    If you're still looking for the MDOS SYSTEM disk for a Sol using Mod-I drives, let me know and I'll see if I can create a Mod-I compatible version.

                    Mike

                  • Jack Rubin
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 13, 2014

                      Mostly, I want to get the drives working first, then I’d like to run MDOS. I can run CP/M on lots of things; more fun to go obscure. There are a lot of projects before this but I’d like to get to it while you’re willing to help.  :>)

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 13, 2014

                        i may have these...bug me if you can"t find elsewhere.   I have a dozen or so 16-sector microolis disks.  my drives are dead though .  I need help.  maybe we can collaborate at vcf mw

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 13, 2014
                          Bill,

                          Do you have disks written on both Mod-I and Mod-II drives? I can read either format and archive them to a PC if you'd like. Once on the PC, the disk images can be used in the simh emulator. Also, once archived, we can recreate any of the floppies from the archived disk images.

                          Mike

                        • Bill Deg.
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 13, 2014

                            not sure, i will check.  see vintagecomputer.net/micropolis/ ... I have working controllers and I can make the drive click, and appear to read some of the disks but no screen output.  more work is needed.  I think they're mostly mod I, but I'd like to find out myself.

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 13, 2014
                              I've got tons of mod II stuff here but the S-100 host it plugs into is
                              still needing restoration (it is a Multi-Tech Systems MT500). I've also
                              got the HSFE (Hard Sector Floppy Emulator) which I put together to
                              emulate 10-hole media for Heath H8/H89 on 3.5" floppies fixed up to
                              emulate 16-hole media too.

                              So, once you a have mod I or mod II drive running, you can convert to 3.5"
                              media fairly easily. I know they won't last forever either but the hope
                              was they'd last longer than the 16-hole 5.25" and be easier to find,
                              while still providing that "floppy disk experience".

                              Note also that Tandon TM100-4M (note the "M") drives are 100 TPI and
                              compatible with the Micropolis mod II's. We used them interchangably
                              in the Multi-Tech MT500 machines. So, if you have one of those floating
                              around, you might be able to pair it with the Micropolis controller and
                              read the same media.

                              Chris

                              --
                              Chris Elmquist
                            • Bill Deg.
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 13, 2014

                                oh...i will try the tandon.  I bet wth some effort and a little help I can get a bootable system.  I have a CUTTER Imsai 8080.

[...]

                                On Wednesday (05/14/2014 at 01:45AM +0000), Bill Deg. billdeg@... [altaircomputerclub] wrote: > not sure, i will check.  see vintagecomputer.net/micropolis/ ... I have working controllers and I can make the drive click, and appear to read some of the disks but no screen output.  more work is needed.  I think they're mostly mod I, but I'd like to find out myself. > > ............ > > > ------ Original message------ > From: deramp5113@... [altairco... > Date: Tue, May 13, 2014 9:40 PM > To: altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com; > Subject:[Altair Computer Club] Re: Looking for a Micropolis Mod II MASTER disk... (70's era) > > > > Bill, > > Do you have disks written on both Mod-I and Mod-II drives? I can read either format and archive them to a PC if you'd like. Once on the PC, the disk images can be used in the simh emulator. Also, once archived, we can recreate any of the floppies from the archived disk images. > > Mike > > > -- Chris Elmquist ------------------------------------ Yahoo Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altaircomputerclub/ <*> Your email settings:    Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altaircomputerclub/join    (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email:    altaircomputerclub-digest@yahoogroups.com    altaircomputerclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:    altaircomputerclub-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:    https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/
                              • Jack Rubin
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 13, 2014
                                  Looks like a Micropolis Mod reunion at VCF-MW! Mike, what would it take to get you up here for the weekend?
                                  Jack

                                • B Degnan
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 14, 2014
                                    I have an original Mod I master disk for MDOS.  I also have a 3-ring of deteriorating disk sleeves with data and program disks made by user.  I have a 2nd 5 1/4" disk box which may be Mod II.

                                    I have not revisited in a while, I will set up when I can and see what I can read of these.  If I understand correctly if I set up a quad density drive I can read with ImageDisk or Catweasel?  Seems like it would be a challenge, but these disks need to be archived soon if not already lost.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 14, 2014
                                      Actually, I just flew to Atlanta for VCF SE a couple of weeks ago. We need another VCF down here in the Texas area!

                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 14, 2014
                                        Bill,

                                        If you're not able to directly read these disks using a PC and Catweasel or ImageDisk, let me know. I'll archive the disks directly from a Mod-I or Mod-II drive attached to a Vector Graphic or Sol-20 machine and use an image transfer program I wrote to transfer the floppy content to the PC via a serial link. If the disks themselves are still readable, I'm sure we can get them archived.

                                        The disk image is saved in the Vector Graphic Image (VGI) format defined by Howard Harte for his VG work on the Simh emulator. We can also create new floppies as needed from the disk images.

                                        Finally, if we still can't read the disks, we can try reading them on the drive that wrote them, if you still have that drive. If your Micropolis drives aren't working, I can help you get them up and running if needed.