Re: 8" Floppy Hard Sector

  • geistmarty
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2009
      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "alltare" <alltare@...> wrote:

      > Marty-
      >
      > Who is I.T.S.?
      >
      > Be careful with FD400 drives. Unlike the 500s that use a line-powered spindle motor, the 400s use a stepper motor that can easily stall if the load on them is too great, and they won't automatically restart. Then the TIP power transistors that run the stepper will blow, possibly taking other components with them. That's why MITS said to keep the drive door open (thus disabling the spindle motor) whenever you aren't actually using the drive.
      >
      > There are no such problems with the FD500s.
      >
      > FYI, the DCDD single drive used FD400 (white bezel) and the 3202 dual drive used black-bezeled FD500s. The two drives are interchangeable except for the power sources for the spindle motors.
      >
      > Steve
      > ====================================
      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all;
      > > I have confirmed that I.T.S. has my Drive that I sent them last week for Repair, it is the Pertec FD 400, from my Altair, I expect to get it back in 3-- 4 weeks... I will let everyone know what kind of Experience I have with them ... and How Good of a Job they did... I expect it willl be in Great Shape....
      > > THANK YOU Marty

      Hi Steve;
      I Got their name from an Earlier Post, for Repairing the FD 400 Drives, He said that they were the only 'Shop' that still does 8" Floppies... The other shop (Ferris) sends them to Him to repair...He (Dan) has been doing these since 1980.. they also do Data Recovery..And Yes, He knows about the Difference between the DC and the AC Drive Spindle Motor....
      THANK YOU Marty
    • geistmarty
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27, 2009
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@...> wrote:

        > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "alltare" <alltare@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Marty-
        > >
        > > Who is I.T.S.?
        > >
        > > Be careful with FD400 drives. Unlike the 500s that use a line-powered spindle motor, the 400s use a stepper motor that can easily stall if the load on them is too great, and they won't automatically restart. Then the TIP power transistors that run the stepper will blow, possibly taking other components with them. That's why MITS said to keep the drive door open (thus disabling the spindle motor) whenever you aren't actually using the drive.
        > >
        > > There are no such problems with the FD500s.
        > >
        > > FYI, the DCDD single drive used FD400 (white bezel) and the 3202 dual drive used black-bezeled FD500s. The two drives are interchangeable except for the power sources for the spindle motors.
        > >
        > > Steve
        > > ====================================
        > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "geistmarty" <geistmarty@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi all;
        > > > I have confirmed that I.T.S. has my Drive that I sent them last week for Repair, it is the Pertec FD 400, from my Altair, I expect to get it back in 3-- 4 weeks... I will let everyone know what kind of Experience I have with them ... and How Good of a Job they did... I expect it willl be in Great Shape....
        > > > THANK YOU Marty
        > > >

        > Hi Steve;
        > I Got their name from an Earlier Post, for Repairing the FD 400 Drives, He said that they were the only 'Shop' that still does 8" Floppies... The other shop (Ferris) sends them to Him to repair...He (Dan) has been doing these since 1980.. they also do Data Recovery..And Yes, He knows about the Difference between the DC and the AC Drive Spindle Motor....
        > THANK YOU Marty

        Hi Steve;
        The Drive had two problems that I knew of, (Maybe More) (one) it had no Index Pulse, (Second) and the Stepper Motor Only Stepped in one direction, and Just before I sent it out, I am not sure even that was working.... Dan, also said, that when the Spindle Motor Goes or it is toooo wobbly, he Replaces it with the AC unit...
        THANK YOU Marty
        THANK YOU Marty