MBL INstructions?

  • Tom Lake
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19, 2009
      Does anyone have the instructions for using the Multi Boot Loader? I see from the disassembly that it reads the sense switches but there's no note as to what the various values do. Can I use it to load 4K, 8K and Extended BASIC? If so, how do I specify which one? Can I specify a different load device and terminal device? Again, if so, how?

      Thanks for any help. Steve Shepard used to sell a manual for it but he's gotten out of the business. Does anyone have a copy of the MBL manual they could post?

      TIA

      Tom Lake
    • oghull
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2009
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Lake" <tlake@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have the instructions for using the Multi Boot Loader? I see from the disassembly that it reads the sense switches but there's no note as to what the various values do. Can I use it to load 4K, 8K and Extended BASIC? If so, how do I specify which one? Can I specify a different load device and terminal device? Again, if so, how?

        MITS had several different paper tape formats over
        the years and MBL knows how to load them all.  The problem
        you will run into when loading early formats (4k basic,
        for example) is that the program on the tape interprets
        the sense switches differently from MBL.

        If you are loading Basic 4.0 or newer, it's simple, since
        both Basic 4.0 and MBL use the same sense switch settings.
        Use the following table and set A15..A12 to define the
        terminal device, and A11..A8 to specify the load device.

        ; Device                Switch value
        ; 2SIO (2 stop bits)      0000b
        ; 2SIO (1 stop bit)       0001b
        ; SIO                     0010b
        ; ACR                     0011b
        ; 4PIO                    0100b
        ; PIO                     0101b
        ; HSR                     0110b

        To load something earlier than Basic 4.0 (including
        4k Basic) you can use the same switch settings as above
        to run MBL, but as soon as Basic is loaded into memory
        you have to hit Stop, change the sense switches, hit
        Reset, then hit run.  If you are using a 2SIO set
        A11 = 1, for 1 stop set A10 = 1 (for 2 stop bits set
        A10 = 0).  All other sense switches should be 0.

        All versions of Basic that I know of, as well as MBL
        itself, assume port 1 on the 2SIO and there is no way
        to specify port 2 without patching the program.

        Geoff.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20, 2009
          Tom-

          I have uploaded a 5-page excerpt from the manual to

          Files > Steve's files > "Pages from MBL PROM manual.pdf".

          It's a 5MB acrobat file

          Steve
          ========================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Lake" <tlake@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have the instructions for using the Multi Boot Loader? I see from the disassembly that it reads the sense switches but there's no note as to what the various values do. Can I use it to load 4K, 8K and Extended BASIC? If so, how do I specify which one? Can I specify a different load device and terminal device? Again, if so, how?
          >
          > Thanks for any help. Steve Shepard used to sell a manual for it but he's gotten out of the business. Does anyone have a copy of the MBL manual they could post?
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Tom Lake

        • Tom Lake
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

            > Tom-
            >
            > I have uploaded a 5-page excerpt from the manual to
            >
            > Files > Steve's files > "Pages from MBL PROM manual.pdf".
            >
            > It's a 5MB acrobat file
            >
            > Steve

            Thanks, Steve! It's so simple once I read it.

            Tom