MITS 680 refurb wanted/needed list

  • ghuntw4avo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2009
      Hello-

      I'm new here and I need to avail myself of the collective expertise of the group. I am midway into a refurb of a MITS 680 (Ser D11503, BSM 16k static, 2PIA+ACIA I/O) I built and used for a professional job in the late 70's . I have a few needs and wants.

      Needed: A source or replacement for a 4096x1 static memory chip : SEMI 4200UCP

      Wanted: An image (.pdf or the like) for the S1 tape for the Altair 680 Assembly Language Development System. I have the original manual but lost the tape.

      Wanted: A source for one each Motorola 6820 and 6850 to populate out the I/O board.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      George
    • oghull
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "ghuntw4avo" <george@...> wrote:

        > Needed: A source or replacement for a 4096x1 static memory chip : SEMI 4200UCP

        How many 4200s are you looking for? I may have a few spares
        tucked away that I could part with, although I think they were
        4200BCP chips, which should be plenty fast enough for either
        8800 or 680 16K boards. Contact me off list if you're interested.

        Does anyone on the list know why people don't like the 4200 chip?
        I've seen comments that say it's not fully static, whatever that
        means, and that they prefer to use 'real' static RAM if possible.

        Also, what does the suffix means on a 4200UCP?
        I've found data sheets showing:

        4200 (no suffix) = 215ns access time
        4200ACx = 200ns
        4200BCx = 150ns

        but I haven't discovered what the UCx suffix means.

        Geoff.
      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009
          While we are on the subject, is anyone selling 8K (or more) RAM expansion for the 680?  Kit, new, old is OK.  I am not sure if Stockley Electronics has any kits for sale at the moment.  I was working on the SWTPc MP-M hacked cards this weekend, but they're clunky and require an external power supply.

          I'm new here and I need to avail myself of the collective expertise of the
          group. I am midway into a refurb of a MITS 680 (Ser D11503, BSM 16k static,
          2PIA+ACIA I/O) I built and used for a professional job in the late 70's . I have
          a few needs and wants.

          Needed: A source or replacement for a 4096x1 static memory chip : SEMI 4200UCP

          Wanted: An image (.pdf or the like) for the S1 tape for the Altair 680 Assembly
          Language Development System. I have the original manual but lost the tape.

          Wanted: A  source  for one each Motorola 6820 and 6850 to populate out the I/O
          board.

          Any help would be appreciated.

          George

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:altaircomputerclub-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:altaircomputerclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Dave Freeman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009
            we also stock them
            Dave Freeman
            ACP Components
            714-558-8822
            FAX: 714-558-1603
            email
            websites: The PC Museum
            IC Collecting
            PC Collecting
            The Whaler Maui

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 16, 2009
              Thanks Geoff and Dave for leads on the memory chips. I'll contact you off list for details.

              Still looking for a pair of ACIA and PIA chips that won't break the budget and for a image of the 680 Assembler/Editor tape--- George