Anyone seen a "revised" 88-2SIO card?

  • john_crane_59
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
      I came across a curious card marked "2SIO(R)" on the back and "Rev 6A" on the front. Chip layout is very different from other 2SIO cards I've seen. This one has an 8251, an AY-5-1013A, and two 93448 chips (possibly 6850 equivalents?). The card has no crystal and an 8 conductor ribbon cable jumpering connections on the back.

      -J
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
        Forget everything I said about 6820s in my previous reply, which has now been deleted. This is what the message should have said:

        "It's not a MITS/Altair board.

        According to this site:
        http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=cctech&a=2004-03&t=175019 ,
        the 93448 might be a 512 by 8 PROM."

        steve
        =============================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "john_crane_59" <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

        > I came across a curious card marked "2SIO(R)" on the back and "Rev 6A" on the front. Chip layout is very different from other 2SIO cards I've seen. This one has an 8251, an AY-5-1013A, and two 93448 chips (possibly 6850 equivalents?). The card has no crystal and an 8 conductor ribbon cable jumpering connections on the back.
        >
        > -J

      • john_crane_59
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
          Steve,

          All the chip date codes are in 1976, with the exception of the 93448 chips - those appear to be Fairchild chips from 1977. One has green and red paint dots, the other has just a green dot. I have no idea yet what data they might contain. This card was in an 8800B with a Micropolis dual drive system. The drive boot code is on the Micropolis interface card (I checked this @ F400h), so I'm guessing the 93448 PROMs are unused in the current configuration. True the card has no "MITS" markings, but it does look like one - the pale color, the unmasked curvy traces. I was thinking of reconfiguring one of my Sol-20 Micropolis boot disks to work with it. But now I'm back to square one - I don't even know what ports this thing uses. And I don't have a schematic for it. Guess I'll have to follow the traces & jumpers manually and figure out the comm parameters & ports based on the chip docs.

          -John

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
            Hey John-
            Can you scan or photograph both sides of the board? Maybe someone will be able to ID it. I'm still very sure that it's not a MITS product- I was hoping that the date codes would prove that point, but obviously they don't.

            Steve
            ===============================

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "john_crane_59" <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

            > Steve,
            >
            > All the chip date codes are in 1976, with the exception of the 93448 chips - those appear to be Fairchild chips from 1977. One has green and red paint dots, the other has just a green dot. I have no idea yet what data they might contain. This card was in an 8800B with a Micropolis dual drive system. The drive boot code is on the Micropolis interface card (I checked this @ F400h), so I'm guessing the 93448 PROMs are unused in the current configuration. True the card has no "MITS" markings, but it does look like one - the pale color, the unmasked curvy traces. I was thinking of reconfiguring one of my Sol-20 Micropolis boot disks to work with it. But now I'm back to square one - I don't even know what ports this thing uses. And I don't have a schematic for it. Guess I'll have to follow the traces & jumpers manually and figure out the comm parameters & ports based on the chip docs.
            >
            > -John
            >

            > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Forget everything I said about 6820s in my previous reply, which has now been deleted. This is what the message should have said:
            > >
            > > "It's not a MITS/Altair board.
            > >
            > > According to this site:
            > > http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=cctech&a=2004-03&t=175019 ,
            > > the 93448 might be a 512 by 8 PROM."
            > >
            > > steve
            > > =============================
            > >

            > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "john_crane_59" <john_crane_59@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I came across a curious card marked "2SIO(R)" on the back and "Rev 6A" on the front. Chip layout is very different from other 2SIO cards I've seen. This one has an 8251, an AY-5-1013A, and two 93448 chips (possibly 6850 equivalents?). The card has no crystal and an 8 conductor ribbon cable jumpering connections on the back.
            > > >
            > > > -J

          • john_crane_59
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
              Thanks Steve,

              I put the pics in the "Mystery 2SIO card" area.

              -John

              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@...> wrote:

              > Hey John-
              > Can you scan or photograph both sides of the board? Maybe someone will be able to ID it. I'm still very sure that it's not a MITS product- I was hoping that the date codes would prove that point, but obviously they don't.
              >
              > Steve
              > ===============================
              >
              > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "john_crane_59" <john_crane_59@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Steve,
              > >
              > > All the chip date codes are in 1976, with the exception of the 93448 chips - those appear to be Fairchild chips from 1977. One has green and red paint dots, the other has just a green dot. I have no idea yet what data they might contain. This card was in an 8800B with a Micropolis dual drive system. The drive boot code is on the Micropolis interface card (I checked this @ F400h), so I'm guessing the 93448 PROMs are unused in the current configuration. True the card has no "MITS" markings, but it does look like one - the pale color, the unmasked curvy traces. I was thinking of reconfiguring one of my Sol-20 Micropolis boot disks to work with it. But now I'm back to square one - I don't even know what ports this thing uses. And I don't have a schematic for it. Guess I'll have to follow the traces & jumpers manually and figure out the comm parameters & ports based on the chip docs.
              > >
              > > -John
              > >

              > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Forget everything I said about 6820s in my previous reply, which has now been deleted. This is what the message should have said:
              > > >
              > > > "It's not a MITS/Altair board.
              > > >
              > > > According to this site:
              > > > http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=cctech&a=2004-03&t=175019 ,
              > > > the 93448 might be a 512 by 8 PROM."
              > > >
              > > > steve
              > > > =============================

            • jack99rubin
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2009
                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "john_crane_59" <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Steve,
                >
                > I put the pics in the "Mystery 2SIO card" area.
                >

                > -John

                John,

                You have a "National Multiplex Computer Operating System 2SIO(R)" card. I uploaded a pdf to the files section which includes a couple of pages from their sales brochure. Sorry for the large file size but I wanted to make sure I got a good grey-tone scan with legible text.

                There were several revs of this board - rev 5 is illustrated on the cover, there is another rev shown inside the brochure and you and I have an additional rev not shown directly in this printing.

                I have full docs, schematics, etc. as well as the board and a cartridge tape mechanism which interfaces to it. Rather than hold you up until I scan the whole mess, I thought I would at least send you info on the ROM monitor (starts at C000) so you could explore a little.

                best,
                Jack
              • john_crane_59
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2009
                  Jack,

                  Thanks for identifying the card! At least I know what I'm dealing with now.

                  Do you have the specs on setting the serial parameters for the card (baud rate, bits, connector pin definitions, etc.)?

                  I have the Micropolis drives loading the operating system, but I can only verify correct loading by examining a specific memory address. I'll need to patch the OS for the right serial I/O parameters to get it to work with a terminal. Luckily, I have the Micropolis docs and they explain what addresses need to be patched. It should be a nice system once I get it running.

                  thanks again,

                  -John