Re: Front panel variations

  • romulus2x
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 1999
      Steve,<br><br>Many thanks for your post - but I
      think you misunderstood the thrust of my research. I am
      not trying to differentiate different versions of the
      Altair front panel in order to date the Altair (as you
      pointed out, that can be done by simply checking date
      codes) but rather to establish:<br><br>First) that there
      WERE two versions<br>Second) which front panel version
      was first.<br><br>I am now convinced that there were
      indeed TWO versions and I am fairly convinced that the
      "sraight-line" (see my previous posts) version was first. I have
      noticed in the earliest ads for the Altair that the
      machine shown has the "straight-line" silkscreened
      "dress" panel and that the word "MITS" is in large
      capital letters WITHOUT the famous blue symbol.
      follows:<br><br>1) "straight-line" panel with MITS in large capital
      letters and no blue symbol.<br><br>2) overlap period.
      "straight-line" panel with MITS in small capital letters and with
      blue symbol.<br><br>3) "angled-line" panel with MITS
      in small capital letters and with blue
      symbol.<br><br>4) 8800a. "angled-line" panel with totally
      redesigned logo strip.<br><br>This is only a theory based on
      my personal observations. If anyone has any further
      info I would be delighted to hear.<br><br>If my theory
      is correct then, strictly speaking, the very first
      version should be the most highly prized. (Unfortunately,
      my own Altair 8800 is the third version. C'est la
      vie!)<br><br>David