Re: Altair 8800

  • john_crane_59
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2009
      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Herman" <k1pdy@...> wrote:

      > From time to time I make a posting here regarding my 8800 and everything that goes with it. My problem is that I would like to sell it for a fair but not greedy price.
      > ==================

      <much snipping>

      Ron,

      Sounds like a nice system. There are two main factors to consider when determining the selling price.

      1) Does it work? There are way too many "as-is, untested, etc." systems on ebay. Everyone knows this, and they usually spell trouble for the purchaser. Your first post was back in 2007. That's plenty of time to have checked out the system - even in your spare time. Sure, you could find a dedicated hardware guy that would love to tinker with your system. But you will find more willing buyers, and a better selling price, if it's working.

      2) Appearance. If your mods look good and professional, then they may add to the price. If they look shoddy, then they will reduce the price. Is that wood drive cabinet finished or bare wood? Any exposed screws/bolts or gaps on the top of the modded CPU case? etc.

      From what I've seen of the market, a system like yours, if it looks good and is running CP/M from 8" drives would be in the 2K-3K range.

      It's been my experience that modified "scientific" type collectibles (be they computers, calculators, microscopes, whatever) tend to fall on the extremes of the price scale - either high or low depending on the docs and functionality. Something like:

      HIGH $
      Modified Working
      Original Working
      Original Non-working
      Modified Non-Working
      LOW $

      I'm not sure of the exact reason for this, but I have talked to a couple of people about it and the general feeling is that it's psychological: People with a working modified item feel they have a "one-of-a-kind" item. And people looking at a non-working modified item see it as "hacked junk" - akin to someone painting a hat on the Mona Lisa.

      Hope this helps,

      -John
    • Ron Herman
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6, 2009
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, alltare <alltare@...> wrote:

        > No CPU board?
        >
        > Because the power supply, power switch, mother board, and cabinet have been modified, detailed pictures would be useful.  You might consider posting some at an image-hosting site like ImageShack ( http://imageshack.us/ ).

        I took a couple pictures. They are at the following URL:

        http://home.comcast.net/~rtherman/Altair8800/

        I don't know if the system works. I haven't had it on for a long time. If I were to take the time to go through it carefully, I might end up not wanting to part with it for another 10 years ( :-) )and try programming it. It's available on an as is basis.. I've seen some of these units acquired for nothing but display. Then there are those that would actually run it. For the latter I think they would be willing to check it out. As stated in the description, it was a working system when I pulled the pieces apart to move. The only thing that might cause a problem would be the aging electrolytic capacitors which would have to be checked. Also it needs a dumb terminal to use. I used to have a Heath terminal. A smarter PC could be used with a suitable terminal program.

        > Erik Klein's site ( http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/ ) would be another good place to mention your sale.
        >
        > Steve
        > ===============================

        <snip>
      • geistmarty
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2011
          Hi All;
          I have another Altair 8800 for sale, it has an 8080 cpu board, 3 8K memory boards, 2 4K memory boards, a non-Altair prom board and an Altair Disk controller boards, the controller boards need work... It also comes with a Disk Case, but without a Pertec Disk drive... I sent the Drive in for repair a year and a half ago and have NOT gotten it back, nor will they send me another one either...
          THANK YOU Marty
        • geistmarty
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 28, 2011
            Hi All;
            I have sold this machine and Shipped it... THANK YOU Marty

          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 28, 2011
              Marty,
              How many more do you have ??

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31, 2011
                Hi All;
                I have ONE Machine left, it is a Dual Disk Drive system with Rack mounting Bars on the side... I assume very rare...
                THANK YOU Marty

              • billdeg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 31, 2011
                  So you're going to have none left?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
                    Hi All;
                    I hope that I don't have to sell this one, but, as things keep getting worse and I have to sell things to aford food and rent and the like, I may have to sell it as well...