Good to see interest in Altair CPUs

  • mits_altair
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 1999
      Hi,<br><br>I just joined the club. I have been
      searching the web for two years for information about
      Altair computers and just found this club. Amazing that
      there is any interest in Altair computers
      anymore.<br><br>The Altair computer was the first "personal" computer
      that I used as a kid (not a dumb terminal connected to
      a mainframe). I was typing in financial data (for
      fun of course).<br><br>I believe that it was referred
      to as a turnkey system.<br><br>Before leaving home
      at twenty-three to start my career, I had the
      opportunity to acquire the very computer I first used. I did
      so and hauled it 400 miles away. It has been through
      three different moves and every time I move the CPU,
      Dual 8 inch disk drives, and terminal I can't believe
      that I am still hauling it around. I just don't have
      the heart to get rid of it.<br><br>The last time I
      had it fired up, was about five years ago. The CPU
      and disk drives worked fine, however the original
      Beehive terminal was not working properly. An
      electrolytic capacitor on PWB in the terminal was getting so
      hot that it was de-soldering itself. One of these
      days I should replace it. When I hooked the CPU to the
      serial port up to my IBM XT, it was fine.<br><br>I just
      checked the label on the back of the CPU in the basement
      and found the following information:<br><br> Model:
      88-1200<br> Part Number: 200352<br> Serial Number:
      300-00012<br><br>I believe that it was purchased back in 1976 (I
      would have to check the receipt).<br><br>Nice to see
      that Altair lives on.