Pertec Drives, Altair CP/M, Tarbell Controllers, Image Disk, and MITS Software

  • Tom Sanderson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2009

      I have lots of questions and am publishing a few answers on my websites. I'm trying to get a few more answers while my drives are working.

      Has anyone interfaced a non-Pertec drive to MITS controllers? I'm wondering about the differences between the MITS configuration and a Shugart interface. In the case of a Pertec FD514 drive, a MITS configuration would be the -03 version of the FD Control B drive board and the-06 version is a Shugart configuration. Here are links to the Pertec drive manual:

      http://computer-refuge.org/bitsavers/pdf/pertec/600500_FD400-5x0-5x1_Mar77.pdf

      http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/iCOM/FD400-5x0-5x1_Mar77.pdf

      Is anyone running CP/M using the MITS hard sectored controllers? I have the Burcom version running and am wondering if other versions exist and if the hard-sectored CP/M diskettes are compatible. My Burcom version has PMMI RCP/M programs, but is missing most CP/M utilities. I'm trying to build a more complete CP/M boot disk for hard-sectored MITS controllers.

      How many people have an Altair, 2SIO or Turnkey board, and a Tarbell controller based CP/M system? I just got my Tarbell controller and Pertec FD514 drives to boot CP/M. I was able to upload the ASM code necessary to make a CP/M configuration for a Tarbell 1011D and a 2SIO or Turnkey board. I've started a web page to document information about the Tarbell controller.

      http://vector-graphic.info/vg_tarbell_1011d.aspx.

      I'm looking for the Tarbell jumper settings for a Qume DT/8 and would like to publish Tarbell jumper settings for any other drive not in the Tarbell Manual.

      http://www.hartetechnologies.com/manuals/Tarbell/

      Is anyone set up with 8-inch drives and Dave Dunfields Image Disk utility?

      http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/ .

      If so, would you be willing to make images, if I provide SSSD boot diskettes for the Tarbell controller and MITS IO?

      Does anyone want copies of MITS software on hard-sectored 8" diskettes?

      Tom Sanderson
      www.virtualaltair.com
      www.vector-graphic.info

    • john_crane_59
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26, 2009
        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Sanderson" <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > I have lots of questions and am publishing a few answers on my websites.
        > I'm trying to get a few more answers while my drives are working.

        <snip>

        Tom,

        Thanks for the info. I have an 8800B and a 88-DCDD that I'd like to get running with CP/M. I was considering hacking CP/M BIOS to work with the MITS equipment and put the boot code into an EPROM. Where did you get the Burcom CP/M? I'd like to take a look at it.

        You mention you're shy a few CP/M utilities. You should be able to copy over utils from any other CP/M system via the serial port. That's the beauty of it. PIP works, but if you're pushing around a lot of bytes, you may want to use one of the MODEM or XMODEM utils for CP/M. They use the Christensen (XMODEM) error-correcting protocol that is compatible with most current terminal emulators, including Windows Hyperterm.

        -John
      • Tom Sanderson
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 26, 2009

          Hi John,

          It is good to hear from another 8800B user. I have a 64K 8800BT running with a pair of drives in a MITS/Pertec 3202. I also have a working Tarbell 1011D with one working Pertec FD514 drive. I'm trying to get more Pertec drives fixed and also looking into the possibility of using non-Pertec drives with MITS controllers. It have been several years since I used my S-100 systems and I'm having to re-learn techniques and test and repair components to get everything working again.

          There are many people interested in Altairs, but I don't have any idea how many have working Altairs with drives. It takes a lot of work to get software running on an Altair and I've noticed several people are trying to solve the same problems. I'm trying to document issues and publish solutions while I have working equipment. I retrieved the code to get a Tarbell controller working with SSSD soft-sectored CP/M and am working to provide boot disks for it and also for hard-sectored CP/M and MITS software on hard-sector diskettes.

          I got the Burcom CP/M thirty years ago and was using it for an Altair based Remote CP/M. The disk contains RCP/M programs configured for a PMMI modem, but for some reason, I can't get BYE to answer the phone.  I looked at PIP and it looks like RDR: and PUN: use the console and not the second port of the 2SIO. I have the BSTAM communications programs on the diskette, but my first attempt to use BSTAM was not successful. My goal is to get Modem 7.12 from a Vector Graphic system copied to the hard-sectored MITS CP/M disk. I have a VG Bitstreamer in the Altair in addition to a 2SIO. I  plan to use the VG configuration Modem 7.12 to get CP/M utilities and 2SIO compatible modem programs onto the MITS CP/M diskette.

          I'm using the VG Modem 7 because I know it works and haven't found a version configured for a 2SIO. BSTAM should work after I figure out what is wrong. I'll keep trying with BSTAM and write a BASIC program to verify that the 2nd 2SIO port is working.   Maybe I can use PIP with an  A/B switch to transfer Modem 7 over the console port. I have all the pieces, but they are spread over three computers, three disk formats, and three types of I/O chip.

          -Tom

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "john_crane_59" <john_crane_59@...> wrote:

          > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Sanderson" yahoo@ wrote:
          > >

          > > I have lots of questions and am publishing a few answers on my websites.
          > > I'm trying to get a few more answers while my drives are working.
          > >
          > <snip>
          >
          > Tom,
          >
          > Thanks for the info. I have an 8800B and a 88-DCDD that I'd like to get running with CP/M. I was considering hacking CP/M BIOS to work with the MITS equipment and put the boot code into an EPROM. Where did you get the Burcom CP/M? I'd like to take a look at it.
          >
          > You mention you're shy a few CP/M utilities. You should be able to copy over utils from any other CP/M system via the serial port. That's the beauty of it. PIP works, but if you're pushing around a lot of bytes, you may want to use one of the MODEM or XMODEM utils for CP/M. They use the Christensen (XMODEM) error-correcting protocol that is compatible with most current terminal emulators, including Windows Hyperterm.
          >
          > -John

        • John Crane
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 26, 2009
            Hi Tom,

            Sounds like you have a nice system.

            Burcom... were they the Houston Altair shop?  The name sounds familiar.

            Anyway, about your getting I/O running:  as far as device issues in CP/M, you may have to alter your BIOS routines to accomodate the second serial port, if RDR and PUN aren't set right.  Do you have a copy of your existing BIOS?  If not, you may have to make a new one from a template. As far as XMODEM, MODEM, BYE, etc. go, I recall there were many "overlay" files for them to configure the software for different hardware setups.  If there's not one for the Altair (I don't think there is) you will have to setup a new one for your hardware.  Check the Walnut CP/M CR-ROM, they should have some overlays there.