Re: [Altair Computer Club] Looking for 680b Parts & Pieces

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17, 2009

      john_crane_59 wrote:
      it requires the installation of a daughterboard, and that requires a machine pin
      socket on your 6800 chip.  In other words, you have to replace the
      CPU socket - messey and definitely not vintage spec.

      FYI,

      I do recall machine pin sockets being available in the industry from latter half of the 70's--from looking in my old ED and EDN mags--. I've had them since '80. They obviously weren't cheap enough for the hobby market yet, but that shouldn't exclude them.

      I try to keep things to spec too. But I include the the level of technology for the time period as a whole, not just one segment of the market, namely the hobby/home market. One good example is the 64K Dram, this was already in '78 but mainly in the industrial market, it was a few years before it became cheap enough for the home computers.

      =Dan